Hydra outlet design ideas "completed"

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I have had nightmare trying to install vtt and vrsf outlets to hydra turbos . Apparently the only outlets supposedly able to fit are mmp silicone and they aren't ideal size and may have clearance issues plus isnt a gaurantee.
So at this point I had the fabricator from "the shop" in Stratford ct originally Norwalk look Into the situation and to make outlets the way I want, that are the recommended specs from Omar himself with proper merge and so on. At this point he wanted 400 to make them and other people showed Interest so I asked about more and he agreed to make additional for 300 and to do mine for 300 if getting a few made.

They will be thin wall 1.75 inch od as per Omar recommendations with a tight radius bend from front turbo to provide proper clearance. I am having the rear turbo made in two pieces for install ease if anyone wants can be one piece but not sure if that would be wise for install reasons. These will mate perfectly with the snouts on turbos as they are 2 inch od 1.52 Id.
Will need two 1.75 to 2 inch couplers Omar sent me 1 from HPS which I really liked and then one 1.75 inch straight coupler along with a 2.5 inch coupler for your intercooler if you were previously using silicone and then whatever clamps you like best.
I will post pics as soon as I have them should be day or two.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Price shipped? Also link for the couplers recommended?

Can't wait for install pictures of the prototype.

Thanks.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Very cool.

I never realized you are local to me.
Me neither im in monroe ct I was in NY when I joined the community years ago but been in CT for 2 yrs now. I'm sure you know of "the shop" if your in ct. Where are you located I would love to see your build one day.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
4 inch long I think for extra 2 dollars why not go 4 inch unless everyone thinks theirs no benefit at all or maybe a downside.
3 inch long
Reducer
I'm sure their are cheaper options. In the hydra thread someone posted low cost ones that looked good. As far as shipping I have no clue if you want PM me address and I could look into it or honestly the few times I've sent parts i had people send me label to print so they paid and arranged but they also had accounts for shipping. It isn't a very big box so I can't see it being crazy im sure someone more informed can chime in.

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Thanks to miksali I think was his name https://www.intakehoses.com/silicone-reducing-sleeve-2-id-to-175-id-gloss-black.html
These are cheaper I have one of the hps already so i gonna order another but these look nice to for good price. Not sure if 350 is hot enough though. It's what the hps one is rated at as well I think high 200s is the peak recorded temp out of our turbos and I'm sure that's abusing them so these turbos should be much cooler.
I will call fabricator in am and ask where he sources his silicone from and how much would be through him. If can get bunch people to order together hps clamps are cheap for bulk packs honestly their cheap either way.

Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Thanks to miksali I think was his name https://www.intakehoses.com/silicone-reducing-sleeve-2-id-to-175-id-gloss-black.html
These are cheaper I have one of the hps already so i gonna order another but these look nice to for good price. Not sure if 350 is hot enough though. It's what the hps one is rated at as well I think high 200s is the peak recorded temp out of our turbos and I'm sure that's abusing them so these turbos should be much cooler.

Does your fabricator have an opinion? More expensive to buy both if the cheap ones melt.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Does your fabricator have an opinion? More expensive to buy both if the cheap ones melt.
Honestly considering Omar sent me the hps one i know that it's safe and I checked the reducer price on the intake hoses website and it's almost the same so I'm sticking with that unless fabricator has better deal that he is confident in. I did see other hps connectors laying around his shop their is currently over 20 cars inside the shop bunch gtrs , subarus , couple evos , cts v , BMW's
New place huge they have dyno going all day and setting up alignment rack with scales theirs my car next to my van and edge next to the cts v that's the color just had it wrapped in I should of taken more pics but I wanted show my friend the tire on the cts so that was only reason I took the pic.
Point being I have alot of faith in them. They are the type of people that in 20 yrs he has had 2 cars blow up while in his possession and most likely wasnt his fault but he still replaced the motors and the owner is their every second that shop is open and much more. Like I said I am the customer from hell so when I'm happy with someone"very rare" that means their a saint.

Attachments

• Resized_20190322_084540.jpeg
    Resized_20190322_084540.jpeg
    550.3 KB · Views: 167
  • Resized_20190322_084520.jpeg
    Resized_20190322_084520.jpeg
    607.7 KB · Views: 152
  • Resized_20190322_084511.jpeg
    Resized_20190322_084511.jpeg
    481.3 KB · Views: 163

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Aramid are 500 degree rated. Orange color from HPS. Pointless at the FMIC connection. But good insurance at the turbo connection, especially if you are going to be beating on those things. That's what we'll be using. There are others that make Aramid ones as well.

Filippo

Think the aramid will be wise at the straight coupler as well or just the two turbo couplers?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Think the aramid will be wise at the straight coupler as well or just the two turbo couplers?
I wouldn't care about the FMIC but this stuff is cheap money for any other connection on the hot side. I've known couplers to melt at the turbo side, certainly.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: Asbjorn
Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Btw guys,
I welded a 135-deg mandrel bend on the F turbo comp outlet, and a 90-deg bend on the R turbo outlet, for a custom N54 X6 job we're doing at the shop. Will fab (and maybe eventually cast) a suitable "Y" at the intercooler end, and join them with straight lengths of steel wire-reinforced silicone flex hose. Many different ways to skin the proverbial cat...

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Me neither im in monroe ct I was in NY when I joined the community years ago but been in CT for 2 yrs now. I'm sure you know of "the shop" if your in ct. Where are you located I would love to see your build one day.

I'm in MA but I drive to visit clients in CT all the time. Not sure who 'the shop' is honestly. I would go to one of the n54 CT meet ups I see online but they are always at night on a weekend. My weekend nights are too precious to spend in a parking lot looking at cars with all the same engine ;)

Reactions: langsbr

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Aramid are 500 degree rated. Orange color from HPS. Pointless at the FMIC connection. But good insurance at the turbo connection, especially if you are going to be beating on those things. That's what we'll be using. There are others that make Aramid ones as well.

Filippo
Found them everything I found says nylon or poly reinforced is fine and technically is safe to 375 to 428 depending on exact polymer but these are aramid which is kevlar https://www.new-line.com/hose/autom...olant-hose-reducers-with-kevlar-reinforcement

Amazon has 3 ply reducers that say 500f and some say 260c which is the same but they are polyester fiber so I don't believe the rating and would trust hps 350f over them.
FWIW mishimoto uses 328f rated silicone and I believe all the other outlets are not using aramid silicone for connectors or actual outlet If all silicone.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Question your running a single right? I ask cause it is probably easier to address a blown off outlet.
I think the 350f is fine which is what I was saying hence referencing mishimoto but when it's a complete nightmare to replace I am not going to cheap out over 10 dollar difference. Also when staying below 30psi I doubt the fibers are even needed if good quality silicone but that's why i wouldn't buy something rated 500f with a material that melts at 375 in it.

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Question your running a single right? I ask cause it is probably easier to address a blown off outlet.
I think the 350f is fine which is what I was saying hence referencing mishimoto but when it's a complete nightmare to replace I am not going to cheap out over 10 dollar difference. Also when staying below 30psi I doubt the fibers are even needed if good quality silicone but that's why i wouldn't buy something rated 500f with a material that melts at 375 in it.

I know, Im just messing around lol. Especially down there for stock turbos I totally understand what you're saying.