Hydra outlet design ideas "completed"

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Some of the stuff I read here is amusing lol.
Limited experience can be a confusing thing for some people's perspectives. Standard issue ~300 deg coupler:
4f63289d-8a90-439d-8964-a42ee4b193d6.jpg

Filippo

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
I know, Im just messing around lol. Especially down there for stock turbos I totally understand what you're saying.
Honestly if I worked in shop I'd be all up in those grey areas I do it all time in my field cause i know the true limits of things and what specs or guidelines are really just to be idiot proof or lawyer proof but when I am not in the circle I stay in my lane especially if I involve another party. I know what it's like when customers supply garbage and want me to use it plus their usually the first ones to blame a failure of their crap on someone else , I don't want be that guy.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Also he said he uses ferocious motor sports silicone so im starting to think that his price is including the hardware for install I have to ask I just don't think of it at the time I always have so much going on.

Reactions: ShocknAwe

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Interested to see how this turns out. Will be in need shortly as well and not 100% if want to fab ourselves or just outsource to another quality fabricator.
What are you making and figures I buy turbos and now you are gonna make a high power offering lol.
I love the hydras just that if you had made a high power setup I would bought long time ago.

Reactions: Rob@RBTurbo

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Verocious or Ferocious?
Well every supplier doesnt have aramid reducer that size so far im going nuts that other site was in Canada I sent them message cause my OCD is really fighting me especially with that pic from filippo combined with my luck . I am seeing reducers with stainless bands which those should handle 600f . I also see some that say for exhaust application but I don't see how that's possible

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Probably for boat exhaust which also has water running thru the manifolds to keep it from being red hot

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
We'd planned on using 1.75" to 1.75" ID 90* couplers from each turbo into straight aluminum 1.75" OD tubing, with our CNC'd traction weld-on ends (in lieu of bead rolls). We have strategically clocked our large housing turbos to be as far as possible from the heat sources so a 350+* coupler should easily suffice, yet it still never hurts to use the best quality available couplers either. I notice a lot of talk about these high heat (500*) Aramid couplers, but are these even made in 90* bends?

Attachments

• RBOutlet.jpg
    RBOutlet.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 148
  • RBOutlet1.jpg
    RBOutlet1.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
I only know of straight aramid couplers, but it is a big world out there. There are alternatives to HPS in the States. Someone posted these which at $7.60 each ... no brainer. https://www.intakehoses.com/silicone-sleeve-2-id-x-3-long-matte-red-500-degree.html

@Rob@RBTurbo yes they make others with bends: https://www.intakehoses.com/product-search.html?Search=500, but they get a bit pricey.

Filippo

Not too concerned about the price (within reason), however still not seeing any 1.75" to 1.75" 90* couplers. Will keep looking, but may simply not be reasonable to expect much variety in this 500* rated temp range.

Rob

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I only know of straight aramid couplers, but it is a big world out there. There are alternatives to HPS in the States. Someone posted these which at $7.60 each ... no brainer. https://www.intakehoses.com/silicone-sleeve-2-id-x-3-long-matte-red-500-degree.html

Rob yes they make others with bends: https://www.intakehoses.com/product-search.html?Search=500, but they get a bit pricey.

Filippo
Not too concerned about the price (within reason), however still not seeing any 1.75" to 1.75" 90* couplers. Will keep looking, but may simply not be reasonable to expect much variety in this 500* rated temp range.

Rob
This is why we are swaging a 1.88" beaded tube are 1.75" OD pipe. What's your turbo OD outlet size, Rob?

Filippo

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride

Rob yes they make others with bends: https://www.intakehoses.com/product-search.html?Search=500, but they get a bit pricey.

Filippo

This is why we are swaging a 1.88" beaded tube are 1.75" OD pipe. What's your turbo OD outlet size, Rob?

Filippo

Filippo,

We started buying those large TD04 compressor covers a couple years back as a bare non-machined casting, as at the time we were finding lots of issues with the standard machining they were provided with in the years prior. At this point we began fully machining them (inside and out) in-house including an outlet that is machined to an ideal 1.75" (and inlet snout sized based on compressor wheel utilized). As they are pretty much like jewels when said and done and something we are very happy with we will continue using them with new upcoming full cast offering.

So with that we are also wishing to build some sort of newer custom outlet, especially one that works as a direct bolt-on (NOT requiring relocation of the coolant reservoir which our traditional bulky Super RB EVO Silicone Outlet required).

While there has been a few ideas kicking around in my head for a finer setup, nothing is finalized at this point; and branching out into full fab of plumbing is something that is not really of great interest to us right now either.

Thanks,
Rob

Attachments

• SuperRBEVORawCompHousing.JPG
    SuperRBEVORawCompHousing.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 155
  • SuperRBEVOMachinedCompHousing.JPG
    SuperRBEVOMachinedCompHousing.JPG
    523 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Well every supplier doesnt have aramid reducer that size so far im going nuts that other site was in Canada I sent them message cause my OCD is really fighting me especially with that pic from filippo combined with my luck . I am seeing reducers with stainless bands which those should handle 600f . I also see some that say for exhaust application but I don't see how that's possible

Shoot me a pm with the exact specs we need and I can help you search unless it's been resolved.

Let me know