Hydra outlet design ideas "completed"

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Looks like might be good this time subframe shall be lifted in for the 5th or 6th time lmao should be done bolting together shortly I'll be posting everything either way but I'm pretty confident that I am able to finally finish this chapter and thank God that my shop and fabricator are very patient people cause they prob want to string my OCD neck right about now

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
Vrsf says they do but don't belive it

You definitely want to question the source of that info as they only make one style of outlet and that revolves around OE N54 turbos (or those with native TD03 style housings). In short do not think whoever you spoke to was privy to what is really going on here, that is using TD04 based compressor housings in the N54 environment.

Rob

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
You definitely want to question the source of that info as they only make one style of outlet and that revolves around OE N54 turbos (or those with native TD03 style housings). In short do not think whoever you spoke to was privy to what is really going on here, that is using TD04 based compressor housings in the N54 environment.

Rob
Was from the horses mouth I asked 3 times and asked about mmp and was told yes to all plus their website actually claims fits every turbo and fmic between their v band and clamp style and comes with all hardware necessary. A big negative every which way. Also I would think they would have supplied 1.83 to 2 inch adapters cause I thought gc turbos were 1.83 od snout I really dont know though.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190430-184355_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20190430-184355_Gmail.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 113

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Was from the horses mouth I asked 3 times and asked about mmp and was told yes to all plus their website actually claims fits every turbo and fmic between their v band and clamp style and comes with all hardware necessary. A big negative every which way. Also I would think they would have supplied 1.83 to 2 inch adapters cause I thought gc turbos were 1.83 od snout I really dont know though.

If you are referring to "Leslie" as the horses mouth, just saying that source is not really good for much information. Quite honestly "Leslie" probably mistook your question for inlets instead, despite how thorough you were about the question being about outlets. Big reason why I prefer to not hire anyone for admin, unless they are a very tech oriented individual they likely are going to have a VERY hard time answering all the questions that come in correctly. The VRSF outlet line up is made for OE TD03 style compressor housings (which includes GC's as they too are TD03 style) plain and simple.

Rob

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@Rob09msport curious if you have any "in the making" photos or anything to share during the sausage making? I'm getting antsy waiting for our crap to arrive. We've got supplies coming including a stainless 2-1 splayed merge collector (which is made to order) and we're having a bit of a communication issue with the vendor - they've been around a long time but something's up. Anyway ... love to see any interim photos you may have to share.

Filippo

Reactions: Panzerfaust

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Well it's a 2" connection so that's going to fit mmp. The connector slides right on my Hydra turbos too.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
Well it's a 2" connection so that's going to fit mmp. The connector slides right on my Hydra turbos too.

So which is it? Post #60 says they don’t work, now sounds like your saying they do work?

The MMP S3/1K, Super RB EVO, and Hydra setups 100% all use the same native TD04 comp housing casting (we just custom machine the hell out of ours in-house). The Hydra claims to use the OE clocking, as does MMP. So if VRSF works for MMP it would also work for Hydra (same identical housing, claimed to be clocked to OE spec). Personally I don’t think it’ll work with either though, as the TD04 housing is very large in comparison to the OE style TD03 housings.

Anyway as PSP made a separate outlet for the MMP S3/1K it would seem that they are not swappable, to the best my knowledge it wasn’t just the same outlet with the v-bands removed but rather an entirely different Jig. My thoughts were that the VRSF outlet with the slip fit was only for the GC’s (TD03 spec housing) with the slip fit comp housing outlet.

Rob

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Yeah, @Rob@RBTurbo, it doesn't make any sense to me at all. I don't get the fitment issue.

So different question - those running HP650 turbos ... what are they doing for outlet?

Filippo

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
I didn't try putting them on after hearing they don't fit. Hence the reason this whole group buy exists.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Very close but still to tight. I know seems simple just follow route others took but bigger turbos heatshield and so on def have an effect. I wanted to show something to give hope to all. Making sure it's perfect been trying for smoothest past possible for flow while still having clearance. Either way as much as I hoped would be done looks like one more attempt. What kills this is this being a side project while im trying to do my regular job and also work with mechanic cause hes really helping me out considering this wasnt part of deal. I was supposed to be bringing him a bolt on kit.

Attachments

• 5784367601.jpg
    5784367601.jpg
    344.3 KB · Views: 99
Reactions: fmorelli

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
You don't realize how close outlets actually come to the manifolds until you have a heat shield on them. Well actually you don't think about it anyway. That pic in the last post shows what happens if you try to use the route the vrsf pipes take and go 2 inch so I def believe to not have rattles 1.75 is the way to go so im glad we chose that and u got a text before saying looks good so I'm excited to see in am how it looks and if can stick with 3rd attempt, I'll be reporting back soon I can't even sleep cause im so excited to finally start her up.
IMG_0708.JPG
IMG_0701.JPG

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
@Rob09msport curious if you have any "in the making" photos or anything to share during the sausage making? I'm getting antsy waiting for our crap to arrive. We've got supplies coming including a stainless 2-1 splayed merge collector (which is made to order) and we're having a bit of a communication issue with the vendor - they've been around a long time but something's up. Anyway ... love to see any interim photos you may have to share.

Filippo
I'll get pics from him in am of his jig and anything that looks helpful when I make it over their tomorrow. The supplier he uses in Delaware has been unreliable to he said been using for yrs and only recently had issues. They delayed us a few times makes me wonder if is same supplier. Once thing I'll say is much respect I honestly way oversimplified this in my head and completely understand now. I was all like what's the big deal just get an adapter when I first heard the first outlets didn't fit lmao. An inch is a mile and 5 degrees is a u turn with this stuff. Plus who wants a boost leak when you got 10 hose clamps and 3 connections per leg to weed through.

frontside0815

Corporal
Nov 9, 2016
Germany
Hey There,
im the german dealer for Omars Turbos..
VRSF Outlets do not fit- i can ensure that. Also Tiago was not really helpful after we bought more than 5 pieces of his outlets, since his description made it seem like they fit....

I hope someone gets outlet done- i asked VTT and they also wanted to sell them to me with a big disclaimer they cannot guarantee fitment....
Same was with PSP: He said the outlets for MMP Stage 3 are different to MMP 1K Turbos and that he doesnt think his outlets will fit..

So at the moment you do not have any outlet which fits besides the MMP silicone outlets, which are also IMO not fit very well... Another customer now installed those, fitted with the heatshield omar provides- should work for now, altough i prefer a aluminium solution!

I had one customer who fabricated outlets hisself, but he said its a real PITA work thats why he only did one for hisself.

Looking forward to a solution.

• Informative
Reactions: fmorelli