Technical Hydra Performance 135 Leichtbau State of the Art Thread

mikeseli

Corporal
May 23, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
Can I use the exhaust camshaft of the N53 engine on the N54 or it's impossible?

I know I can use the intake camshaft of the N53 on the N54, even gaining something in the process... but I don't know if I'll be able to use the exhaust one...

Any ideas with that?

And another doubt, the VANOS intake phase variable are different from the N54 and the N53. If I use the intake camshaft of the N53, which phase variable should I use, the N53 or the N54
You can use the N53 exhaust cam.
Use the N54 intake cam vanos gear.

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Latest mod is a fresh M2C manual gearbox & twin-disc clutch. Transmission itself is 25mm longer, mostly in the bellhousing, so needed a custom flywheel & had to shorten the shifter 20mm to get it to come out in the same position as stock. Luckily had a 120i transmission crossmember lying around which allowed everything to line up properly. Also had to drill & tap the tailhousing for a reverse light switch, as the newer transmissions use a gear position sensor. Luckily the casting is the exact same one used on the 1M so had a blanked boss in the correct position :)

c_ohc=3Q4ayKKLrRcAX_9NHsS&_nc_ht=scontent.fbey14-1.jpg

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Latest mod is a fresh M2C manual gearbox & twin-disc clutch. Transmission itself is 25mm longer, mostly in the bellhousing, so needed a custom flywheel & had to shorten the shifter 20mm to get it to come out in the same position as stock. Luckily had a 120i transmission crossmember lying around which allowed everything to line up properly. Also had to drill & tap the tailhousing for a reverse light switch, as the newer transmissions use a gear position sensor. Luckily the casting is the exact same one used on the 1M so had a blanked boss in the correct position :)

Weight advantage or just because?

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Weight advantage or just because?
I initially ran a pukka 1M box which grenaded shortly thereafter, was able to source a fresh N55 45BZ to replace it which I ran without issue until coming across this as-new BMW test piece with literally a handful of km on it. The -45BZ is 13kg lighter than the 53BZ in addition to offering crisper shifting and slightly closer ratios. The S55 version is the ultimate version of the 45BZ and comes with a longer bellhousing to allow for the use of the OEM (S55 & S58) twin-disc clutch

Last edited: