Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
So guys,
Forgive me for not having been very active lately, spent the past couple of weeks preparing furiously for the first time trial event of the season. Ended up 4th in my class (out of 24 competitors), and missed out on a podium place by a paltry 0.04s. Drove more cautiously than I would prefer, due to low confidence stemming from limited seat time/experience with the new setup, but it is clear to me that with a bit more development (+ more time behind the wheel) I have a very capable weapon at my disposal!

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Aside from the stunning photos, Omar, I suspect you have a lot to wring out of this car. A very impressive first outing. The fact that you left with a working car, in and of itself, impressive on first time out. The placement is a huge bonus. I don't know how much time you had with the suspension setup prior to the first "ouch". I suspect you'll have some further tuning, part and parcel with running a newly built motor. And as you said, getting familiar with the whole setup, and slowly dialing up your attack as you get more familiar with the car. Too bad @barry@3DM doesn't have any plans to visit Lebanon any time soon :tonguewink:.

Congrats and looking forward to where this goes!

Filippo

Reactions: Hydra Performance

Asbjorn

Lieutenant
Mar 10, 2018
European, based in China
Ride
Z4 N54 DCT
Im curious what the other cars in your class were, dare to share the time sheet? If there were only four cars in your group you don't have to share, and we will not discuss it further.

I have a time attack event coming up on sunday and they basically decided to put all +2.4T/+3.5NA cars in one final group. So if anything McLaren or Ferrari shows up, yeah it is in my group.

Anyhow, I find that lots of gokarting and gps/data analysis is really helpful to keep oneself in shape and get the most out of the seat time available. I have personally learned the most by comparing my gps data with someone who is slightly faster/more skilled at a given track but in a car with less hp such as an E92 M3. Then as you get the basics dialed in better using that data, the power will push you in front. I often find myself late apexing too much (thinking I have more power than I actually have), braking too early (no balls) and forgetting to look long in high speed corners (also lack of balls). A wheel coming off at any speed also doesn't help with confidence, maybe consider avoiding that?

Last edited:

barry@3DM

Corporal
Jun 4, 2018
Glad you're ok and that the car isnt KO'd Omar!!!

Filippo:

Titanium is stronger than steel by weight. The Ti studs weigh far less, and are subsequently weaker despite allegedly superior materials. If there is any scoring, galling, or cutting made for the threads or during install it will dangerously damage the part and further weaken it. Failure is typically spontaneous and catastrophic, as described above.

Anyone using titanium in load bearing applications should switch to steel. Immediately.

Yikes! that could have been much worse!

Agreed about the scoring, galling, cutting...

I wrote a little bit about choosing wheel studs here: https://www.spoolstreet.com/boards/threads/tell-me-about-wheel-studs.4296/

Looks like they have no seat on them. By the looks of how it broke, that last thread right before the shoulder may have dug into the thread of the hub and caused a gouge which translates to a stress riser.

Again, glad all is OK!

Barry

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Omar if I have pr inlets would it be worth it to grab your inlet setup from fillipo or not really a large benefit for me

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Was just thinking to myself what is the N53 valve cover like? I'm guessing it doesn't have any pcv ports going to the intake runners and has a separator built in. Any chance of using that with a dedicated vacuum line plumbed to the intake with a check valve in line? Might work better than an aftermarket external kit was my thought. Just spitballing some idea I've got in my head, figured there's nowhere better to ask...

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Was just thinking to myself what is the N53 valve cover like? I'm guessing it doesn't have any pcv ports going to the intake runners and has a separator built in. Any chance of using that with a dedicated vacuum line plumbed to the intake with a check valve in line? Might work better than an aftermarket external kit was my thought. Just spitballing some idea I've got in my head, figured there's nowhere better to ask...

I looked into the N53 VC. It's still plastic, requires different fuel lines, and can't be had in the US.

mikeseli

Corporal
May 23, 2017
Ride
2009 BMW 335i
I looked into the N53 VC. It's still plastic, requires different fuel lines, and can't be had in the US.
The fuel lines are the same for cylinder 1-5. It’s the last one that is different. It is bent differently in order to clear the crankcase ventilation valve. This valve is know to fail and repair kits exist to repair instead of buying a new N53 valve cover.

Last edited:

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
Well I've gotta do a valve cover gasket anyway so I figured it might be a good time to experiment if it's going to be coming off.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Does anyone know if vrsf outlets will fit, my vtt outlets were trimmed for my stock turbos and my pr inlets were collapsing from heat so I ordered vrsf inlets and silicone outlets cause they were the only one that I was able to get overnighted but I know these have 2 inch od snout so I'm confused cause all the metal options have choice for mmp 2 inch and the silicone say fit all so I went silicone for now just to get car together and will buy aluminum later when I have time to research and can afford the wait for them

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Engine ready to go back in but I'm stuck Omar sent me a 135 elbow and a 1.75 to 2 inch adapter for front but I dont know if the back will be able to stretch over the snout filippo was kind enough to grab measurements as I'm on road and the bead roll is pretty much 2 inches on the dot inside about an inch and half.

Attachments

• IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    325.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0709.JPG
    IMG_0709.JPG
    261.1 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_0701.JPG
    IMG_0701.JPG
    387.7 KB · Views: 137
Reactions: doublespaces

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Now would be a good time to chuck all those stock vacuum hoses to the wastegates for some new silicone ones ;)