Technical Hydra Performance 135 Leichtbau State of the Art Thread

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Thanks Ghandi :)
Here's the link of the video in question in case anybody's interested...

I'm not generally one to street race, but I ran a single turbo E92 with a top-mounted Garrett GTW3884R , Schrick hi-lift cams, built motor +PI, and 26-27psi. I was only running 17.x at the time due to stock HPFP limits. 120kph roll letting off at 230kph, managed to put 2 carlengths between us despite it being a short pull - basically just walked him from the get go... N53 head really putting in work! :D 

PS - Click "Watch on facebook" to watch since embedding does not appear to work in this case

Last edited:

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Well my transmission is good it had debris blocking a solenoid piece of rubber from one of gaskets must have came free so it was making the weird sound I reported. I am doing my 100 Miles after my reset again and should finally be able to hit dyno . Only 2 months behind schedule this time I'm getting better each time I do sonething.

• Funny
Reactions: Hydra Performance

Groovysapien

Private
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
2009 E90 335i

I'm not generally one to street race, but I ran a single turbo E92 with a top-mounted Garrett GTW3884R , Schrick hi-lift cams, built motor +PI, and 26-27psi. I was only running 17.x at the time due to stock HPFP limits. 120kph roll letting off at 230kph, managed to put 2 carlengths between us despite it being a short pull - basically just walked him from the get go... N53 head really putting in work! :D 

PS - Click "Watch on facebook" to watch since embedding does not appear to work in this case

That thing rips!! How much power do you reckon it's putting down?

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
@Groovysapien
My educated guess would be ~640PS DIN @ 1.2-1.25bar, or >600whp DJ, and no the oft-quoted conversion factor of x0.85 is nonsense - but I digress... When you think about it, I'm running the same boost as an OEM S55, and the same fuel/octane, and an essentially similar engine with identical displacement, yet I'm still making 200 horsepower more. Granted I don't have emissions to worry about but still, how awesome is that?
And its not like I'm running big laggy turbos to get there either... :)

The owner of the ST GTW3884R E92 I raced asked me to drive it afterwards, was my first time driving a single turbo N54, and (no offense to all those of you running one) I was NOT impressed. Transient response is HEAPS better on my car - feels so much more alive/primed/eager to get moving than the ST, despite my HP800s being similar in overall flow capacity to the single in question. You can't really measure or quantify transient response when looking at dyno charts, and its not very obvious by studying datalogs either, but it is extremely obvious behind the driver's seat unless all you do is sustained WOT pulls (drag/roll racing, etc). I've said it before and I'll say it again, a single will have ~2.25x the polar moment of inertia of a pair of aerodynamically-equivalent twins, with a similar effect on time to torque... Okay rant over now :D

Reactions: marc and kayzrx82

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i

Here's the video native with no facebook funny business ... (unfortunately it seems like we can't upload MP4's here)

Filippo

That group is Closed, which means that this forum can't see anything to embed and unless someone were a member of that group, clicking that link wouldn't be effective either. Upload the video to youtube or vimeo and paste the link here. We don't allow mp4's intentionally as it is pointless when we have very reliable media sites like the ones I mentioned above which specialize in exactly this.

Not to mention backups become slower and bloated with that sort of media and bandwidth isn't free.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Upload the video to youtube or vimeo and paste the link here. We don't allow mp4's intentionally as it is pointless when we have very reliable media sites like the ones I mentioned above which specialize in exactly this.
Yep agree video gets hefty. I uploaded to my google drive as I didn't want to clutter my youtube account. I don't think there is a way to embed the link (i.e.; Media) so it can be viewed inline, but dunno.

Filippo

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Finally made the trip to the dyno last night to tune a bunch of other cars, so figured I'd throw mine on as well and see what it'll do. I got a little greedy though, and raised boost by ~1psi (to 18.x psi) over my usual HPFP-friendly map, thinking that it should be okay for a quick dyno pull. But first some photos:
64554003_2195130143874617_860879564023267328_n.jpg

65077473_496077890933848_7940346974895603712_n.jpg

64643324_355620411815278_1619203233232715776_n.jpg

64762517_305469866832623_7103409414006112256_n.jpg

Car put down 625whp uncorrected in 4th gear, 85F ambients running straight 93oct pump gas! And here is a log of the pull below:

Some Cliffs notes:

The first thing you will probably notice, is that spool/torque looks mediocre despite running so much load that the car would barely accelerate past 2000rpm @ WOT. This is because, it rips through 3000-8000rpm in ~2.1s which barely gave the turbos time to spool properly. This is very clear in the log above, and will be even clearer to you once I upload videos.

The excessively high ramp-rate no doubt caused the excessive WGDC PID corrections and boost fluctuations you see in the log, which caused the power/torque curves to be rougher than I am accustomed to seeing. I will dyno in 5th gear next time around, but the takeaway is that don't read too much into the dyno pull log, just wanted to show how little boost I was running...

Maximum rpm on the pull is significantly lower than maximum rpm seen in the log, and peak power rpm is significantly lower than I was expecting (7500-7700). I suspect this is due to tire slip. On the very first run I did the car lit up the rears despite the car being properly tied down, so I had a couple of friends sit in the trunk, wait till you see the vids LOL

HPFP was crashing big time, funny the difference that extra 1psi makes.

Good news is that the predictions I made earlier were very much in the ballpark, bad news is that by all rights I should ended up with more. Either way, its making stellar whp/psi , and I doubt you will find an N54 anywhere making this much on straight 93oct pump gas, DI only - which was my goal all along. I'm not quite done yet, and there is more to come from both myself and the 1er in the none too distant future :)

Last edited:

Groovysapien

Private
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
2009 E90 335i
I'm curious to see what your turbos would max out at on an E tune. Also curious to see a Single turbo car with the same head you have on your car and ripping to 8K. Either way, solid numbers for 18psi on 93.

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
The N53 head is doing the work, really makes you think about getting one
Hope you get fueling sorted soon.

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
@Groovysapien
I guesstimate 740-750whp DJ should be possible on HP800s maxed out, but my experience driving the single turbo E92 last week was a stark reminder that dyno graphs aren't everything, and - bragging rights aside - there's more to building a fast/effective car than that

@Traf,
As always, its the entire combination that is key. For instance, a similar setup with inferior/smaller hotsides on the turbos wouldn't work anywhere near as well I assure you...

Reactions: wuX2

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
HPFP was crashing big time, funny the difference that extra 1psi makes.

Good news is that the predictions I made earlier were very much in the ballpark, bad news is that by all rights I should ended up with more. Either way, its making stellar whp/psi , and I doubt you will find an N54 anywhere making this much on straight 93oct pump gas, DI only - which was my goal all along. I'm not quite done yet, and there is more to come from both myself and the 1er in the none too distant future :)

Don't discount the difference in the way that a dyno loads up the car too... My car ran fine on the street but putting it on the dyno it broke up bad due to dipping rail pressure. Never bothered revising that tune because rail pressure was fine in the real world. Like you said, dyno is for bragging rights and doesn't mean much else. ..If we had a dollar for every person in this community that claimed to have an 800whp N54 that in reality doesn't actually run lol...

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
Don't discount the difference in the way that a dyno loads up the car... My car ran fine on the street but putting it on the dyno it broke up bad due to dipping rail pressure. Never bothered revising that tune because rail pressure was fine in the real world.

Of course, but that extra 1psi causes the HPFP to nosedive on the street as well...

Reactions: Bnks334
Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
@JimboFresh206
No, still running a plain-jane cerametallic 240mm single plate. No complaints with it so far at the boost I'm running. I've put the twin disc on the backburner for now as there is no immediate need for it (+ there are several very decent options out there), plus I'd like to focus on some other side-projects I've got in the works *cough intercooling cough* once I've got the new outlets taken care of...

Reactions: JimboFresh206