Inlet/ST Expansion tanks

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Haha yeah, I like your idea though. I could probably machine out some bungs that are the like the factory quick connect so you could use the factory line or use a an bung, an to Barb fitting adapter.

Also, search for aluminum coolant surge tanks, that might provide some better results.

Thanks bud! I actually found a few on ebay.. Something atleast to try out.. Found a classy little tank for a MINI.. I'm sure what ever I find will be slightly less capacity but I'm pretty confident half a liter isn't going to show an issue.. Of course adding capacity would be amazing but don't think so :/

Notmpwr

Private
Jul 5, 2017
Ride
535i
I think you'll be good on capacity, most modern surge style systems the expansion tank is just there so no air can enter the suction side, so as long as it stays covered in fluid continually you'll be good. maybe just run it a little low to allow for expansion if it's a really small tank. Just make sure the suction side is at the bottom and the steam vent is at the very very top. A baffle would be nice to prevent aeration but it should be ok.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I think you'll be good on capacity, most modern surge style systems the expansion tank is just there so no air can enter the suction side, so as long as it stays covered in fluid continually you'll be good. maybe just run it a little low to allow for expansion if it's a really small tank. Just make sure the suction side is at the bottom and the steam vent is at the very very top. A baffle would be nice to prevent aeration but it should be ok.

Yup I'm gonna copy the way the bmw one works basically just a different shape and easier to "conceal" lol

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I'll be able to just actuate the water pump at 100% with the isid and monitor if it can keep up.. If it can handle a few minutes at 100 percent and it's making it back quick enough to not let the tank go dry/too low than I should be fine and dandy!

brocke

Private
May 13, 2017
Ride
1m
Just use a diesel tank and cut the connector off and tap it with a 1/8 npt thread like this
I done this for a mate, works a treat

20170708_124336.jpg

Reactions: doublespaces

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Just use a diesel tank and cut the connector off and tap it with a 1/8 npt thread like this
I done this for a mate, works a treat

View attachment 4347

I wasn't aware that's what was stopping it to fit with the majority of charge pipes.. I see that gorgeous manifold was the case there.. Not the gorgeous manifold in my case lol

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I wasn't aware that's what was stopping it to fit with the majority of charge pipes.. I see that gorgeous manifold was the case there.. Not the gorgeous manifold in my case lol
That is not what causes fitment issues with stock manifold chargepipes. It's the main body of the expansion tank that interferes.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
That is not what causes fitment issues with stock manifold chargepipes. It's the main body of the expansion tank that interferes.

Yes that's what I thought as well..
Thanks for clarifying bud! I broke down and bought the mmp brackets for now.. It will have to do till I get more creative time

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I refuse to replace a plastic tank with another plastic tank from the 335d. I still run my stock tank. Fixerguy, the one I've been eyeing is the GTR style tank. Large wide profile up top without a lot of clearance worry on the bottom. Top hemisphere of my engine bay has plenty of room lol.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I refuse to replace a plastic tank with another plastic tank from the 335d. I still run my stock tank. Fixerguy, the one I've been eyeing is the GTR style tank. Large wide profile up top without a lot of clearance worry on the bottom. Top hemisphere of my engine bay has plenty of room lol.
Plastic is only potentially a problem on the high heat side of the bay. Hell, the only reason I moved mine over was to move a heat source away from the intake filter and give myself more room to do a custom inlet for my Motiv kit.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Plastic is only potentially a problem on the high heat side of the bay. Hell, the only reason I moved mine over was to move a heat source away from the intake filter and give myself more room to do a custom inlet for my Motiv kit.

115 degree weather, black hood. Car scolds you if you touch it. It's not uncommon for them to pop here unfortunately.
This is my other N54. Driver side expansion/steering res from the factory. Would get a setup like this if I gave 2 shekels about looking OEM.

IMG_6192.JPG