Introducing Interactive Datalogs

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This feature is custom development which was completed over a year ago, however getting this site upgraded to the correct software version took a lot longer than expected. Very soon users will have the ability to upload their logs to this site and have them inspected without needing to leave the page. They are fully interactive and there are a LOT of possibilities here in terms of what is possible. This would be considered a beta release at best, but there is a working API currently which MHD, BM3, ProTools, etc can tap into.

After release, we intend to setup log sharing and management which allows a user to designate their tuner and their tuner will automatically get access to your logs and can mark them read, etc. For now, here is an example of an embedded datalog using simple BB Code. Thanks to @veer90 for letting me use this:

[removed]

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
This looks great! Just as easy to use on an iPhone as Datazap.

I have not attempted to optimize it for mobile yet, but there are things which can be improved. Another thing I have in mind is parameter pairing. I can create a list of parameters which are forced to be on the same axis, that way you don't get misleading graphs. Boost, and boost target for example would always be in the same graph. If they have different scaling visually it can appear as overboost, etc.

Reactions: GreyNBlueE92
D

Deleted member 2204

Sure it's cool and all but... Why? Why create something that already exists? Doesn't that feel like thrown away effort?

Wouldn't working with Datazap to create some kind of forum implementation have been better? Since Datazap is an independent platform, it will always be my first choice.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Sure it's cool and all but... Why? Why create something that already exists? Doesn't that feel like thrown away effort?

Wouldn't working with Datazap to create some kind of forum implementation have been better? Since Datazap is an independent platform, it will always be my first choice.
They have refused to make an API for many years. So I made one. He contacted me lately actually saying he was going to do it, but I already did it, a year ago so I'm going to continue with it. Not to mention, there are various improvements that can be made from the current datazap implementation and nothing beats integration.

And can you define independent platform? I've also spoken with Pro Tools, bootmod3 and MHD all of them expressed interested in integrating this graphing utility into their apps. Datazap requires you to create an account to upload a log, SpoolStreet doesn't which is good enough for many people, although if you don't your log will be auto-pruned after a period of time.

D

Deleted member 2204

Aha that explains. If Datazap was not open to integration then that's thier loss.

How will you tackle the integration with other apps like MHD? I assume that Spoolstreet will be a client/frontend for a backend system. Just like MHD and another app will be? Or are you thinking of something different?

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
This is cool, but the scroll down arrow is kinda hard to press for some reason... I am on Android...

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I have not attempted to optimize it for mobile yet, but there are things which can be improved. Another thing I have in mind is parameter pairing. I can create a list of parameters which are forced to be on the same axis, that way you don't get misleading graphs. Boost, and boost target for example would always be in the same graph. If they have different scaling visually it can appear as overboost, etc.
Nice. That would be a good improvement over datazap / to pin the y-axis scale of various parameters.

Reactions: doublespaces

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
This feature is custom development which was completed over a year ago, however getting this site upgraded to the correct software version took a lot longer than expected. Very soon users will have the ability to upload their logs to this site and have them inspected without needing to leave the page. They are fully interactive and there are a LOT of possibilities here in terms of what is possible. This would be considered a beta release at best, but there is a working API currently which MHD, BM3, ProTools, etc can tap into.

After release, we intend to setup log sharing and management which allows a user to designate their tuner and their tuner will automatically get access to your logs and can mark them read, etc. For now, here is an example of an embedded datalog using simple BB Code. Thanks to @veer90 for letting me use this:

[GRAPH=17888@2,22,[email protected],879.29832]/attachments/2018-05-08-21_01_54-ije0s-schaeffer_ij_mmp_n20_e85_v17-mhd_-json.17888/[/GRAPH]
Great work, I've only tested this on Android at the moment but it is substantially more useable than datazap on Android.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I was going to suggest the same thing. Log stacking would be VERY beneficial. Anyway great work on this!!
Log stacking would be especially beneficial when using iPhone, like I do nearly 100% on this forum.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Overlay can be done. I asked datazap repeatedly to make it happen when they first came out and finally sat down and did it myself a couple years ago. As far as I can tell, it's the same charting API DZ uses, but needed some heavy customization to load more than one set of log data at a time.

I have one set up that will overlay up to 4 logs on one chart or plot up to 4 individual log charts on one page.

hiflo-vs-catless.png

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Aha that explains. If Datazap was not open to integration then that's thier loss.

How will you tackle the integration with other apps like MHD? I assume that Spoolstreet will be a client/frontend for a backend system. Just like MHD and another app will be? Or are you thinking of something different?

I wouldn't say Datazap was not open to it. I have spoken with Jonah on several occasions and he never expressed any refusal to cooperate at all, to the contrary if anything. It was simply a matter of years going by without any changes or updates. I remember when he originally announced Datazap, that was quite a long time ago. At some point, you just take things into your own hands and since I saw a lot of areas I could improve, I did it.

This is cool, but the scroll down arrow is kinda hard to press for some reason... I am on Android...

This will be investigated.

@doublespaces the one feature I would love to see is log stacking. I never understood why I couldn't load two logs on a single graph to compare them in datazap. That would be a great feature and I would be surprised if I'm the only person that would find it useful.

This is actually on my list already, but stacking logs can be problematic for various reasons. I would like to do this however.

I don't know about log stacking, but maybe side by side for logs in the same upload group. Works great so far!
Thanks for the feedback, you've already provided some in the earlier days of testing. Side-by-side graphs would be easier to implement and I would like to have both.

How about using MHD to automatically upload the logs? This way you do a log on MHD and it automatically uploads it onto here.

That is what the API is for. Its a publicly known communication protocol that MHD can hook into and upload logs to a guest account or user account with an API key. So the most you'd have to do is copy a key from your user account area and paste it into the MHD app and all your logs would be automatically uploaded. If someone didn't have a SpoolStreet account, the log would be uploaded so they can share it with anyone and will be automatically deleted after a period of inactivity to prevent a backlog of unused logs taking up space.

Last edited:
Reactions: Torgus

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Overlay can be done. I asked datazap repeatedly to make it happen when they first came out and finally sat down and did it myself a couple years ago. As far as I can tell, it's the same charting API DZ uses, but needed some heavy customization to load more than one set of log data at a time.

I have one set up that will overlay up to 4 logs on one chart or plot up to 4 individual log charts on one page.

View attachment 17893

Hey, great work. And yes, Dzennan does use high charts, except he doesn't actually use High Charts, he uses High Stocks as far as I can tell, that is why his interface has a scroll bar at the bottom. I've talked with DZ and he was willing to offload some or all charting to SpoolStreet if we got a solution up and running. A lot of time has passed but I expect to resume those conversations with the app devs soon. If you have any insight into what might be required to plot multiple parameters of the same type on a single graph, PM me. The way all the data is parsed and displayed on this board is different than a normal website as it needed to be compatible with BB code, however some of the knowledge may carry over.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I just bought a Pixel 3XL that has Qi charging. I hope, next year, to integrate that into the car with dedicated cell (Qi to charge, USB-C to OBD-II or Wifi to CANBus sniffing datalogger, aptx HD to audio). I'd manage all my bins and logs in Google Drive, along with all data for the car. I'm looking forward to a future where a) this isn't all manual, b) CANBus data can just be pushed to the cloud, c) real-time dash can be done in the car while d) post-use analytics and the ability to do historical research on my data sets becomes easy. Network and storage costs are honestly pretty cheap these days.

Fleets are doing some of this stuff, to some degree, now. API's are very important. So is some cooperation and collaboration.

Filippo

Reactions: langsbr

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Hey, great work. And yes, Dzennan does use high charts, except he doesn't actually use High Charts, he uses High Stocks as far as I can tell, that is why his interface has a scroll bar at the bottom. I've talked with DZ and he was willing to offload some or all charting to SpoolStreet if we got a solution up and running. A lot of time has passed but I expect to resume those conversations with the app devs soon. If you have any insight into what might be required to plot multiple parameters of the same type on a single graph, PM me. The way all the data is parsed and displayed on this board is different than a normal website as it needed to be compatible with BB code, however some of the knowledge may carry over.
I'm out of town right now, but used high stock also. As long as the data can be passed into arrays from your end, should be doable regardless of what the source is. For mine, I read files into SQL db and use that, but could be read straight out of csv files too. The trick will.be parameter alignments. I was too lazy to code at the time since I was basically logging the same parameters all the time, verification wasn't necessary, but will need to make sure parameters from multiple files are in the same place/order to compare .

Reactions: langsbr