Is the 3rd vacuum line necessary?

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
Hello all,

So I have recently joined the group of many people who snapped the plastic nipple off of the manifold (goes to DV) on my stock DV, why is it even needed to connect to the manifold ?
Can I not just plug the 3rd line?

Obviously my car is only boosting to 6 PSI (Target : 18)

Just wondering if there is a workaround instead of drilling and tapping a hole in the manifold...

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
I cant tell if you are serious or trolling but yes you need to fix it.

I’m being serious, just want to know to know why the vacuum has to connect,

the only solution I came to was it’s all a closed system

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
the vacuum is what actuates the bypass valves. it is absolutely necessary if you don't want to kill your turbo(s)

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
the vacuum is what actuates the bypass valves. it is absolutely necessary if you don't want to kill your turbo(s)
Thanks for clearing that up. Was just reading online why it’s needed.

It wasn’t a troll post just curious to know the science behind it

Reactions: JBacon335

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Thanks for clearing that up. Was just reading online why it’s needed.

It wasn’t a troll post just curious to know the science behind it

That line is what allows the diverters or blow off valve to open up when the throttle body/butterfly valve closes. This allows the excess boost pressure to be released instead of causing 'back pressure' to the turbo and risking the chance of damage (as the extra pressure can cause a reversing of direction on the turbine and eventually cause fatigue on the shaft or fins)...

The 'pulling' of the vacuum in the line is what opens the valves in the diverters or blow off valve.

It is great to learn about this stuff! Hard to tell if someone is serious on the internet. :)

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
That line is what allows the diverters or blow off valve to open up when the throttle body/butterfly valve closes. This allows the excess boost pressure to be released instead of causing 'back pressure' to the turbo and risking the chance of damage (as the extra pressure can cause a reversing of direction on the turbine and eventually cause fatigue on the shaft or fins)...

The 'pulling' of the vacuum in the line is what opens the valves in the diverters or blow off valve.

It is great to learn about this stuff! Hard to tell if someone is serious on the internet. :)

Hey!

Thanks for that, really helps me under the concept of N54, and what the additional things are 3)

Yeah it’s hard to ask anything nowadays which is annoying but oh well.

Thanks once again.

Reactions: derekgates

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is

Subwoofer

Sergeant
Jan 9, 2020
Ride
335i
For sure. Don't hesitate to keep asking questions! These cars are complicated and quite sensitive.

I like how you opened a thread for this question, excited to see others from you.
There’s definitely a few things which I might have problems with in this upcoming weekend (turbo) install.

it’s amazing how finely tuned everything is yet it all works in sync.

b4llistic

Corporal
Nov 22, 2018
Ride
BMW N54
EDIT: Thanks your finding and reading my post. Unfortunately, Spoolstreet is no longer a neutral platform where we can have honest discussions on subjects and products freely.
For this reason I have deleted all information I posted on the forums.

Last edited:

ansch

Lurker
Sep 23, 2018
Ride
E82 135i SGM
It's an interesting system once you get to know it. The manifold tap is the only place from the factory you can get a boost/ vacuum reference, although you can get an adaptor for the throttle body vacuum port as well these days. The other two vacuum line you mentioned are for each of the boost solenoids, and that vacuum source is driven by the vacuum pump that handles the brake vacuum and exhaust flap as well.

• Agree
Reactions: derekgates