Is this BOV works correctly?

norbeger

May 4, 2020
Hi,

The N54 and petrol tuning new to me. Can someone confirm that this POV is working correctly?
Thanks!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I don't see anything unusual, hard to know without seeing your foot also.

But nice idea to put a camera in there!

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
If I'm hearing the video correctly, it sounds like the BOV is only opening at cruise/idle which means the vacuum is pulling open the BOV which as a result is allowing unmetered, and unfiltered air into the system. I believe all that's needed here is a stronger spring. not much bigger by the looks of it.

Reactions: RuskiRacer

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
These cars don't have a mass air sensor so nothing is unmetered. Also the turbos are spinning at idle which blows air out the open BOV. That being said I prefer my BOV to be closed at idle. No particular reason though. Both situations are acceptable as long as the spring isn't too strong for the BOV to open quickly.

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
So you're saying that having unfilter air enter your engine is "okay"? The turbo's may be spinning, but they're not making boost pressure. The engine when operating under no load situations makes vacuum regardless of spinning turbos, which means the open bov is sucking in bad air.. the turbos aren't blowing anything out.

Cruizinmax

Corporal
Jul 18, 2018
Ride
09 335i
So you're saying that having unfilter air enter your engine is "okay"? The turbo's may be spinning, but they're not making boost pressure. The engine when operating under no load situations makes vacuum regardless of spinning turbos, which means the open bov is sucking in bad air.. the turbos aren't blowing anything out.
You're welcome to check for yourself. Take a piece of tissue and put it next to an open BOV. Even though the turbos aren't making the "boost" you're used to seeing it doesn't mean air isn't flowing. A ceiling fan isn't making boost either but air is certainly flowing.

• Informative
Reactions: MoistNapkin

MoistNapkin

Corporal
May 25, 2019
Ride
08 135i
You're welcome to check for yourself. Take a piece of tissue and put it next to an open BOV. Even though the turbos aren't making the "boost" you're used to seeing it doesn't mean air isn't flowing. A ceiling fan isn't making boost either but air is certainly flowing.

Interesting, you're definitely right. Took my bov off and no dice, but there wasn't enough flow to even move the paper towel. Thanks for the insight. I'll still run mine closed for the sake of possible debris.

Reactions: Cruizinmax