Jake's Budget-Built BMW 335i Thread (Drag Inspired)

suspenceful

700HP Club (N54)
Aug 1, 2017
Why these coils and not the Delphi GN10571 for example?
Also why 2 step colder plugs on stock turbos ?
I've heard mixed reviews on the Delphi coils. Some local guys have had poor luck with them. I figured I'd try these given the fact that they're "high performance" and BAV Auto carries a good reputation.

Wow, that's a nice kit! I didn't know they offered such a thing. I've been using the Bosh spark plugs for quite a bit of time; are the 2 steps cooler plugs really recommended for all tuned cars? hmm

Impressive results with draggy!
Yeah, I think it's a new package available on their site, hasn't been around that long. The colder, gappable plugs are definitely recommended if your N5X is modified or tuned.

suspenceful

700HP Club (N54)
Aug 1, 2017
Not a huge update, but I installed some LUX H8 LED angel eyes. Upgrading the angel eye bulbs are one of my favorite appearance modifications you can do for these cars. They’re relatively cheap, easy to install and greatly improve the look of any BMW.

I have the same set in my 135i and they've been holding up great for years. Very white, very bright, I wouldn't go with anything else. For anyone interested in the process, I wrote a step-by-step installation guide with more photos, etc.

Check out my blog post: https://bmw335i.com/2019/05/31/how-to-install-bmw-angel-eyes-stock-vs-led-comparison-335i-330i-328i/

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: SJ_1989 and DamnDatsun

JimboFresh206

Corporal
Jan 29, 2018
In m5x land the bav-auto.coils were tested and found to just be stock coils with the clips painted red.

How do you like the set so far? Smoother idle?

Just wondering if they aren't doing the same thing now with these n5x pencil coils :)

suspenceful

700HP Club (N54)
Aug 1, 2017
In m5x land the bav-auto.coils were tested and found to just be stock coils with the clips painted red.

How do you like the set so far? Smoother idle?

Just wondering if they aren't doing the same thing now with these n5x pencil coils :)
They're working great so far. I can't say I feel too much of a difference from the stock coils, so they very well might be the same. But the description on their site says their coils "feature core windings that have been modified to increase firepower and promote a faster, more efficient burn".

Reactions: JimboFresh206

Traf

Corporal
Aug 3, 2017
About your last video, did you check if you had a vacuum leak ? Vacuum from the engine itself not from the pump.
I believe it will throw similar codes and idles rough when you have a leak.

suspenceful

700HP Club (N54)
Aug 1, 2017
About your last video, did you check if you had a vacuum leak ? Vacuum from the engine itself not from the pump.
I believe it will throw similar codes and idles rough when you have a leak.
Are you referring to the 135i issues? I just traced it down to a bad connection to the JB4/ECU harness!