Jesse Burrell's EFR 9180 E93 does 768whp / 648wtq

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
They abandoned the EFR series for that reason a while back and have redesigned everything for the Garrett GTX Gen II.
Right I was thinking about the speedtech kit for N55. Lol. From the log they posted, it looks like they are having the same problem.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
i still dont see the obsession of real early spool with ST , if you want to spool at idle just upgrade twins.. otherwise good ol pte , agp, bw sx turbos are just fine.
notsure-1.jpg

Reactions: colo_evo

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
Good to see a 9180 finally working, but don't those numbers seem low for such a big turbo on 31 psi? No log, graph shows a very laggy set up, so the 9180 isn't the spool monster everyone said it would be, call me unimpressed. Also we have a car on the dyno right now that pulls 3-7 degrees of timing on #4 just about every run. Every other cylnder is no corrections. Could be any number of things causing it. Hot spot in the cylinder, etc, etc.

EFR turbos are not any better for boost threshold eg. on a dyno run going WOT from low RPM. Where they are insanely better than others is transient response eg. rapid throttle changes at RPM that's already above the boost threshold.

• Agree
Reactions: Omar@VaderSolutions

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
Using the IWG of those bigger EFR turbos for boost control will lead to a lot of boost creep at higher rpm.

Have you seen how well the EFR wastegates branch off smoothly and the flapper is on an angle that favours wastegate flow? They also have a much bigger openings than IWGs before them. They do not suffer from boost creep.

The main issue with using the IWG housing for engines/turbos this big is it's only 0.92 A/R. The EWG ones are 1.05 and 1.45.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
Have you seen how well the EFR wastegates branch off smoothly and the flapper is on an angle that favours wastegate flow? They also have a much bigger openings than IWGs before them. They do not suffer from boost creep.

The main issue with using the IWG housing for engines/turbos this big is it's only 0.92 A/R. The EWG ones are 1.05 and 1.45.

The iwg opening is still too small for our engine’s displacement and the relatively “low” boost that n54/55 typically see.

Speedtech_N55_24psi_JB4.jpg

That’s the log speedtech posted on their website for their efr 7670 n55 kit.

See how they target 18psi with jb4 but can’t get it under control as the rpm rises...

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
The iwg opening is still too small for our engine’s displacement and the relatively “low” boost that n54/55 typically see.

Speedtech_N55_24psi_JB4.jpg

That’s the log speedtech posted on their website for their efr 7670 n55 kit.

See how they target 18psi with jb4 but can’t get it under control as the rpm rises...

.92 turbine housing is too small for the setup. It's so far from ideal having a way too small turbine housing and having to gate over half the flow. Even so, I'd be very interested to know wastegate preload and if it's actually running 0% WGDC on that one.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
EFR turbos are not any better for boost threshold eg. on a dyno run going WOT from low RPM. Where they are insanely better than others is transient response eg. rapid throttle changes at RPM that's already above the boost threshold.

Yep. I don’t see why is that low. The 9180 is rated for 95lb/min of flow, which roughly translates into 950hp at the crank. So around 850whp or so at the wheel. Given that car is probably suffering from some issue, +700whp is a decent number. These turbos don’t like being driven off its compressor map and over speeding (especially the larger 9180), given the aero profile and material they used for the turbine.

If you some dyno glory, get a precision or comp turbo instead.

cloud9blue

Sergeant
Oct 17, 2017
Ride
09 E92 335i
.92 turbine housing is too small for the setup. It's so far from ideal having a way too small turbine housing and having to gate over half the flow. Even so, I'd be very interested to know wastegate preload and if it's actually running 0% WGDC on that one.
Yeah. Don’t know, since they really don’t say much. I am also skeptical of their 650whp claim with just a 7670 turbo.

Omar@VaderSolutions

Lieutenant
Premium Vendor
Oct 19, 2016
NY & AZ
vadersolution.com
Ride
N54 135i & N54 335i
Yep. I don’t see why is that low. The 9180 is rated for 95lb/min of flow, which roughly translates into 950hp at the crank. So around 850whp or so at the wheel. Given that car is probably suffering from some issue, +700whp is a decent number. These turbos don’t like being driven off its compressor map and over speeding (especially the larger 9180), given the aero profile and material they used for the turbine.

If you some dyno glory, get a precision or comp turbo instead.
my turbo is rated for 94lbs/min but doesnt spool like the efr does

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
I've seen the efr 9180 make 900whp but the problem is that the compressor wheel is too small to make that kind of power on 3L 6 cylinder motor. The turbine is fine hence why in the upcoming black series EFR the 80mm turbine is being pair with 72mm compressor which is good for 1100whp. You can only expect so much out a 67.8 compressor wheel on 3L...another reason why dudes struggle to make 1000whp on 3L using 6870 pte. compressor wheel is too small

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Whos saying this is a 1000WHP turbo? Its rated at 95 Lb/Min basically that means its good for 950 CRANK MAXED the EFF out. Also, compressor are rarely ever quoted on the inducer side. This is a 91mm compressor hence the name 9180. The entire point of my post was. 768WHP, and basically terrible spool is not a good showing for a turbo everyone was saying was going to change the game. Sure the EFR's have great transient response, but thats not everything.

• Dumb
Reactions: cloud9blue

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
I wouldn't say the car has all kinds of issues, it generally runs really well. There's been teething issues with broken wastegates, boostbox, and R8 coil issues initially but they were resolved by a very motivated owner and a great mechanic. That Rocco guy I just can't really speak highly enough about, he is great. Spool is in line with the turbo size, but with the manifold design (one of the best top mount twin scroll's I've seen) and EFR everyone was hoping for more, there may still be more to have time will tell. I know the supra community lags with this particular setup, but it's still a very capable turbo and should keep the stock block happy at high power. Also, I don't really care about boost I care about power, some setups make great power with less boost. This one is only like 50tq behind a typical 6466 twin scroll dyno below 5,000 rpm. And on the street it spools around 800rpm faster than the dyno.

The car was running well at first, had some boost control issues initially that were resolved quickly. It was firing on all 6 great and made just under 800 on a messy pull that misfired the first or second run, after that it seemed to be unhappy on cyl 4. It wasn't overly concerning, they checked everything, just annoying more than anything. Only real "issues" on the dyno were the PI needed some adjustment but they didn't have a way to flash the controller, and the WGDC was maxing out but boost was not increasing. This could point to any number of things that have to do with spool and the peak power obtained, but I don't like to guess.

Here's a log and a snapshot, don't remember which run this was, but most of them were very similar as it was tuning, not just power runs upping boost.

upload_2017-12-8_12-23-28.png

Link to one of the logs bcuz not EMP tuning https://datazap.me/u/v8bait/post-r8-coil-swap?log=0&data=3-7-8-9-10-11-12-19-30&solo=30&zoom=41-108

Last edited:

Abacus38

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Tampa/Orlando, FL
Ride
2007 Ti Ag 335i
Whos saying this is a 1000WHP turbo? Its rated at 95 Lb/Min basically that means its good for 950 CRANK MAXED the EFF out. Also, compressor are rarely ever quoted on the inducer side. This is a 91mm compressor hence the name 9180. The entire point of my post was. 768WHP, and basically terrible spool is not a good showing for a turbo everyone was saying was going to change the game. Sure the EFR's have great transient response, but thats not everything.

I don't understand what your talking about Tony. Alot of people who use PTE stuff go by inducer size. If you were to compare this turbo to a PTE turbo it would be a 6873. This turbo is much bigger on the turbine side then everybody else. Imo I think a better combo should 9174 which would be like a 6766.

bradsm87

Corporal
Dec 15, 2016
basically terrible spool is not a good showing for a turbo everyone was saying was going to change the game. Sure the EFR's have great transient response, but thats not everything.

The transient response difference does change the game. Good EFR setups don't have "terrible spool" for a start. When spirited driving, it's not like you're constantly loading up the engine from low RPM. Yes the EFRs do have bigger turbines than what other turbos run for similar size compressors which does slightly increase boost threshold but that's a small price to pay as the turbine is hugely lighter and the larger diameter gives the air more leverage on the shaft. Both of those things help transient response a lot. Also the larger diameter turbine wheel means lower back pressure too.

In summary, give me better transient response over better boost threshold any day. When you're driving a car in an enjoyable manner, you're generally keeping it above the boost threshold anyway but you're constantly making transient changes.