Just a little teaser

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Where did this phrase come from? I have never heard it used outside of the rock climbing community until this year. I hear it applied to soooo many things and it just does not make sense.

LOL, as a word etymology nerd, I absolutely despise using a term if I don't know at least a bit of history, even if it's apocryphal. From what I've found, it did come from rock climbing, apparently as far back as the mid 90s, possibly earlier. It's a shortened version of ascend, and my understanding is it's basically just saying "go for it, don't worry about the risk."

It's used excessively in the Sloppy Mechanics group. After you hit your engine with your purse and turn the china turbo to 40psi while using PEX fuel line, you're supposed to send it.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeffman

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I've only heard it used by a spotter while on the range. It's funny how nowadays people will take a word or phrase and attach a whole new meaning to it.

VACust

Corporal
Dec 1, 2016
US - Utah
It means a spotter or observing tower is ready for a shooter to fire when ready. It means the spotter is ready to spot your shot impacts, the range is safe to fire, and spotter is ready to give a shooter corrections. It has been around since at least the late 60’s or earlier.

• Agree
Reactions: Mnst3r

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
I've only heard it used by a spotter while on the range. It's funny how nowadays people will take a word or phrase and attach a whole new meaning to it.
Shooting makes good sense, since you're sending a round down range.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
LOL, as a word etymology nerd, I absolutely despise using a term if I don't know at least a bit of history, even if it's apocryphal. From what I've found, it did come from rock climbing, apparently as far back as the mid 90s, possibly earlier.

Mid 90's pffff, sht was played out by then in the hard core philatelist sub-culture.

WTF were we talking about again?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Where did this phrase come from? I have never heard it used outside of the rock climbing community until this year. I hear it applied to soooo many things and it just does not make sense.

i've personally never heard this term "Send It" outside of the military community until a couple months ago. it honestly bothers the hell out of me when people use it for stuff other than what it was started off being used for. Artillery and calls for fire in a hot zone. But freedom of speech i guess.

Just add it to the list of things someone said one day and everyone started spewing it. kinda like "YOLO" or "Fleek" or any of the other hundreds of words, lol

Reactions: JOEinSD

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
i've personally never heard this term "Send It" outside of the military community until a couple months ago. it honestly bothers the hell out of me when people use it for stuff other than what it was started off being used for. Artillery and calls for fire in a hot zone. But freedom of speech i guess.

Just add it to the list of things someone said one day and everyone started spewing it. kinda like "YOLO" or "Fleek" or any of the other hundreds of words, lol

This ^^

It was a common phrase in artillery that was adopted by the scout sniper community too and then carried over to precision shooting. It was always the confirmation between the spotter and shooter that the firing solution was confirmed correct and to send a round down range.

cnuyen

Oct 10, 2017
Geneva, IL USA
Ride
2009 135i / 2010 M6 SMG
Also incorrect, but close. It's not off the shelf units I have in the car. The benefits of owning a turbo manufacturing company....:grimacing:
Sly man! Hey where can I get to with your GC's? 2009 135i FBO minus fueling upgrades, they are coming, I want to stay on 93 pump fuel for the time being.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Sly man! Hey where can I get to with your GC's? 2009 135i FBO minus fueling upgrades, they are coming, I want to stay on 93 pump fuel for the time being.

Without fueling upgrades you'll just be limited to the fueling system. So your real question will be what's the limit of the stock fuel system... :grimacing:

Generally speaking you'll cap out around 450hp if you have good enough cooling to get a decent ignition advance on 93o.

cnuyen

Oct 10, 2017
Geneva, IL USA
Ride
2009 135i / 2010 M6 SMG
Without fueling upgrades you'll just be limited to the fueling system. So your real question will be what's the limit of the stock fuel system... :grimacing:

Generally speaking you'll cap out around 450hp if you have good enough cooling to get a decent ignition advance on 93o.

Reply:
Well on the Dyno I have 440 RWHP! Apparently ... I have done something right! Comp ER FMIC, COMP ER Twin Oil Coolers, CSF tri pass Radiator, BMS full flow oil NO Thermostat, When its warm out I take it easy until I have 165 F Oil temps. AIT's are NEVER over 15 degrees over ambiant to 95+ F (I think that says a lot about ER's FMIC with CF shrounds)! Never gone to limp, no misfires, running Laser Iridium Premium ILZKBR7B8DG Stock 95770 Plugs gapped to I think 23 I could be wrong... it's been a while. Stocker coils new from FCP. They have the BEST prices for coils and Fuel injectors (index12's) $850 for 6. I did not use them sent em back because the new plugs and coils stopped all misfires. Custom Dyno tune from FMU Naperville, IL. (formerly Plainfield, IL.)

Thanks much for the input.

Now to SAVE UP for the GC's be in Touch Tony!

cjn