Lithiumax 850CCA Lithium Ferrous Phosphate Battery review.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This is a Lithium Ferrous Phosphate which is a lot safer that Lithium ion (read up on the website for more info)

So I'm putting my 1m on a diet and starting to strip unnecessary weight.

One of the cheapest and easiest way to drop around 50 pounds or 22kg is to change out your battery and
install a lithium ion one without to much hassle.

This little sucker is from a Australian Company and compared to others the price is hard to beat.

Installation was quite involved and not just a straight drop in, some skills are needed and an array of tools.

Allow 2 to 3 hrs install time to do things properly.

I could do an install guide but I haven't got the patience or time.

Had to modify the hold down bracket a little to make a little extra clearance around the battery posts and lcd but that's just me being
anal and only perfection is good enough.

As you can see the battery looks a little lost in the battery tub but it gives me room to run a bigger custom meth tank or swirl pot
if I choose to run one or just extra storage for tools.

Lights seems to be a lot brighter and they don't dim when pumping my little sub in the trunk.

So far so good, the car feels a little lighter in the rear end and tyres light up a little easier.

20190518_134214.jpg
20190518_140440.jpg
20190517_141223.jpg
20190518_110925.jpg
20190518_111025.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffman

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
It's 45 to 50 lbs drop for 500, cheapest weight loss ever

I think he is assuming your bathroom scale is in lbs... 24kg to lb = 52lbs for the stock 760cca battery.

The Li battery is about 7lbs? Sounds about right for that CCA. You can get a 400-500CCA Li battery that weight about 5lbs for $200. That will crank the car just fine in warm weather. If you really need to drive your car in the winter it wont work well at all (I've tried it) but you can just drop the stock battery back in.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
This is not a lithium ion battery but much safer Lithium Ferrous Phosphate thats why the extra cost but you can get ones smaller and cheaper

I wouldn't use a lithium ion battery in my car, as rimac found out when Hammond crashed their car.

Also I prefer to get the bigger battery and have a bigger reserve than save an extra lb, just saying it's not worth it.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
This is not a lithium ion battery but much safer Lithium Ferrous Phosphate thats why the extra cost but you can get ones smaller and cheaper

I wouldn't use a lithium ion battery in my car, as rimac found out when Hammond crashed their car.

Also I prefer to get the bigger battery and have a bigger reserve than save an extra lb, just saying it's not worth it.

Yeah I hear you. I wasnt trying to be super technical but the generic branded ones like "battery tender" are LiFePO4. Automotive grade with built in sensors. I ran one for a little while but it needed to be warmed up when it was <40f outside. No good for a daily. Two of them at $400 would've been more than enough. Just pointing out that generics exist to the people like me that try to ball out on a budget lol.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
All good dude, this battery is not for everyone, just like a forward facing manifold.

So it might be expensive now but that will change just like ram and HD use to be.

In ten years time our kids kids will say whats a CD

The quicker we adopt newer technologies the better.

I've got 2 trucks one with lead acid and one with gels

In the last 10 years we replaced 4 set of batteries
With the gels they are still going my old man's backward thinking.

The lead acid cost 400 dollars to change each time

The gels cost me 1k and still going and when i put the battery checker on them their health is over 85% after 10 years

I think the Lithium Ferrous Phosphate battery will be the the next big thing

Time will tell

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
I looked at picking one of these up when I was in AUS, but I am pretty sure there is no way in hell the airline was going to let me on the plane with it.

Has anyone else used this brand or other brands with reasonable success on a daily driver? 45lbs seems like it might be worth a look

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
Yeah, I have seen quite a few of those grid storage type batteries, but pretty sure they do not support the discharge rate required to crank the engine

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
Sorry, I don't know that much about battery's. So these would not work?
My understanding is basically no, they won’t work reliably unless you pick one that is way oversized, thus eliminating your weight savings.

For anyone else interested, apparently antigravity brand has a drop in replacement battery that will work for our application, they seem reputable and active on some Porsche forums

JBacon335

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Toms River, NJ
Ride
07 335i Sedan, 1988 Mustang GT
I like that it's weight reduction, just don't know if that is an area I want to remove weight from. the right rear is usually where drag racers would add ballast

bantam

Corporal
Nov 20, 2017
Ride
2009 335i
I like that it's weight reduction, just don't know if that is an area I want to remove weight from. the right rear is usually where drag racers would add ballast

My thought is to try and mount a relatively large water to air heat exchanger at the rear as a bit of ballast

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
as the battery is a direct replacement for any vehicle you can code it as a lead acid battery which has the same rating instead of AGM.

I also use a Ctek lithium xs trickle charger when not driving the car to keep the battery at optimum.

Reactions: JValenzSD