Little custom fueling work in progress...

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Hey all!

Thought I'd post a couple pics of some current custom work going on at PFS. What we have here is a new top hat being modified to support both an externally routed second pump as well as a return from an externally mounted FPR. Things get crowded when you add electrical connections, an output, and a return to an already busy top hat, which is why we take care to precisely locate all of the connectors.

Having the second pump routed externally pays an enormous dividend in flow capability, as you're not bleeding off into the stock-bucket venturi (if bucketed) or any of the drivers side in-tank tomfoolery. Due to the extra parts, install is going to require some more cursing to get 'er all done, but if you know that going into it and take your time, it's completely doable. What are the advantages?

-Depending on configuration, ~10-40% more flow capability vs. routing through tank internals, which means a cheap, reliable, and readily available Walbro 450 gets the job done long past the point the other guys are messing around with walbro 525's and beefed up electrical connections required to support them.
-External FPR keeps fuel pressure very steady, which is good for both upgraded DI systems and PI. You can even add a boost reference line if you so choose to (fuel pressure climbs with boost).
-Return dumping on top of the bucket is another factor to help avoid starvation issues.

There are many means to achieve your fueling goals/needs. This particular method is simple, cost-effective, and flows a TON of fuel. If you need this or something like it shoot us a PM or email!

Chris

72595244_2572977803029733_4380866053509480448_o.jpg

72669896_2572977853029728_2327452797861101568_o.jpg

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
So would this completely bypass the in tank regulator and filter ? And also would you still use stock ekp.
Basically for someone like me I'd rather spend on hard parts then a bpm4 so if I wanted run a single 450 cause I dont run e85 would I buy this and your external fpr and then bypass ekp somehow or still use the stock ekp ?

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
So would this completely bypass the in tank regulator and filter ? And also would you still use stock ekp.
Basically for someone like me I'd rather spend on hard parts then a bpm4 so if I wanted run a single 450 cause I dont run e85 would I buy this and your external fpr and then bypass ekp somehow or still use the stock ekp ?

This is for a dual-pump setup. The second pump does completely bypass in-tank hardware. For ease in overall system functionality, we recommend you keep the primary pump plumbed through stock hardware; this lets ekp control the main pump, and ensures your in-tank systems still work (fuel has a means of being transferred from driver side back to passenger side). The stock "stuff" works pretty well, it's just not cut out for 700 whp worth of flow.

Interesting, if you can bypass a hobbs with this I might be interested.

How you activate the second pump is up to you. In our stock and external series double shots, we supply a hobbs switch. If you would prefer to use an external pump controller, that's doable too, you just have to let us know and we'd configure things a little differently.

Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: NoGuru

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
Interesting, if you can bypass a hobbs with this I might be interested.
BPM4 eliminates the need for a hobbs switch

NoGuru

Captain
Jan 9, 2018
Just North of Detroit
Ride
BMW 335is
BPM4 eliminates the need for a hobbs switch

Yes, but that is expensive.

Reactions: PFS

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
But aside from eliminating hobbs for second pump, it makes the primary pump work more reliably as it is.

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
But aside from eliminating hobbs for second pump, it makes the primary pump work more reliably as it is.

Most people really don't have issues with the EKP, but the cars are getting older, so I do expect those numbers to increase.

BPM4 is a great controller but really, really needs to be set up correctly. Not talking down on a good product, but it's worth mentioning that we've seen several pics (and gained a couple customers!) of competitor pumps with melted connectors (stock and/or secondary pump) presumably due to “connect it, jack duty cycle up real high and see what we get for flow!”. This (melting connectors) is not something you want to mess around with. This really will rear its head with people keeping the in-tank stuff stock, not realizing their pump is screaming bloody murder, but losing a lot of flow through factory fittings/regulator/etc.

To be clear, I’m not speaking poorly of the product, I like it, just cautioning that EKP giving your pump 100% duty cycle is not necessarily the same thing as an aftermarket controller going 100%. Some baseline duty cycle numbers and power output would be useful for determining limits for the overwhelming majority of people that have stock or modified top hats. A billet top hat like BPM offers is a nice option to side step this but of course pricey.

We sell pumps with or without top hats, and can do with or without wiring kits too. Profit on a Hobbs switch is near zero (we outsourced our wiring kits anyway!), so my position is more on the objective side. I just think the guys using it should be informed on roughly what the appropriate stock-equipment limits are.

Depending on end configuration I can test at a variety of voltages and current to make sure what config you have works the way you want it to.

Chris

Reactions: 335is02 and NoGuru

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@PFS thanks for this thread. As you likely know, Z4 guys don't get to enjoy the benefits of every other BMW on the planet - a topside accessible tank pump under a seat cushion. Ours is under the car, bottom side, one hole and the LPFP actually hung inside the tank while the "filter etc" is mounted in the hole.

So that said ... any thoughts on this for the Z4? Don't know if you have any customers doing this yet with that chassis.

Thanks,

Filippo

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Filippo,

It could be done but you've stepped up the requirements now as it's containing fluid (and some degree of pressure, even if only that caused by fuel). I would do it a little differently than for the E series. Maybe I should pick up a used Z4 pump and play with it.

I will be announcing some DIY based "directions/kits" soon, putting access of a lot of these fittings and adapters into the hands of those who want to do their own work but maybe don't want to ground-up figure out each and every piece/part.

If you have something you'd like to work towards, I'd be happy to help out. There are other means of supplying quite a lot of extra fuel that are somewhat unconventional but effective. Is all your "stuff" mounted from the bottom, what about the equivalent of the driver's side regulator assy and the other float level?

Chris

Reactions: doublespaces

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Hi Chris - I'm not quite ready to solve this problem (couple other fish to finish frying, first). I'll reach out on PM when I get closer to it. Thanks,

Filippo

EOSpeed

Corporal
Nov 7, 2016
Chicago, IL
BPM4 is a great controller but really, really needs to be set up correctly. Not talking down on a good product, but it's worth mentioning that we've seen several pics (and gained a couple customers!) of competitor pumps with melted connectors (stock and/or secondary pump) presumably due to “connect it, jack duty cycle up real high and see what we get for flow!”. This (melting connectors) is not something you want to mess around with. This really will rear its head with people keeping the in-tank stuff stock, not realizing their pump is screaming bloody murder, but losing a lot of flow through factory fittings/regulator/etc.

This is true, but that is why we recommend if you are going to use the aftermarket screws through the top hat for your secondary pump, you should upgrade the screws to either copper or brass, which have much less resistance than the "std" screws people provide. If you upgrade the screws the hats will not melt anymore, or you can go with billet tophat option which we have also. We have seen our fair share of melted relays for hobb's switches also, since we use upgraded wiring, the weakest link becomes the screws.

• Informative
Reactions: SSDD and PFS

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Thanks for entering the thread and your input on your product, appreciate you guys pushing and developing!

Chris

Last edited:

PFS

Corporal
Nov 19, 2018
Ride
335i
Does this product have a name yet? SideKick? SideShot?

This is just our "external series". Get a ton of flow with that second pump vs. running it all through stock in tank components.

As for naming, my favorite is the "drunken sailor" which is a significant step up from a double shot. ;)

Chris