Lots of Oil in my intake

stephtech

Aug 16, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Ride
2010 335 XI 6AT
Hi,
Second post here, I posted the same on BB but maybe it was not the appropriate forum.
I really hope to get to the bottom of my issue.

My car details are in my sig, I now use it exclusively for drag races.
At the end of last drag season, I parked the car in the garage in the winter to work on it. When I parked the car, I had a few little things that I wanted to change/improve but the car ran great, no strange symptoms, no code, all was nice.

During the winter, I was messing with the x-drive trying to hack it, I may have start/stop the car at least hundred of times for a few seconds. Did not noticed anything wrong.

When the spring arrived, I got ready to put the car out when I noticed a small oil drip on the garage floor. I quickly traced the leak from the rear turbo charge pipe at the collar (#2 on the attached picture)

I found the collar a little loose, I tighten it a bit but it did not explain why oil was present there. Upon deeper inspection, I found my CP with a puddle of oil. I then started to take stuff apart. My IM, CP, IC where all having quite some oil inside, not the usual N54 blow by type.

I noticed how severe is my issue with the Forge DV, they are venting to air and when they do, they spit oil all over the place., last year there was no oil spitting. My car is NOT SMOKING but this oil gets pushed in the intake and for sure it is getting burned. I can see my intake valves are all coated with fresh oil. The oil also ruins my timings because oil in the air is anti-octane. Turbos are not smoking, not making any noise and they seemed to give full power.

so to try to diagnose this issue I did the following but issue persist:

- checked PCV system (got the RB external with plugged head), PCV seemed fine but still replaced with a new one
- checked/clean vent tube (the one with the metered valve returning to the intake tubing)
- check my BMS OCC for bent tube/obstruction (obviously not full)
- compression test (dry): 166,167,169,170,167,165
- leakdown (tested at 90spi): 2%,2%,2%,2%,3%,2%
- changed oil from Motul 8100 Xcess to 8100 Xclean (a bit thicker oil) and measured oil drained was not overfilled
- removed DP's, checked both turbos for shaft play: none. Exhaust side completely dry on both turbos, no oil. Rear turbo compressor side had oil in the bottom of housing, also inside the turbo charge pipe (#1 in attached picture).
- removed my rear turbo oil drain (RB high flow), no gum/junk inside, all nice. still replaced with new drain tubing (same type)
- spark plugs are all nice, no oil or fuel smell, even color across all cylinders
- vented my OCC to air (in case oil was getting from there)

I also taped a 1/8NPT adapter to my VC to connect a gauge (to rule out crankcase pressure), upon idle and under load, I cannot measure any pressure/vacuum. Opening the oil cap showed a little vacuum was present.

The only symptoms I have now (other than this oil issue and might totally not be related) are:
- on cold start, little rough idle for maybe 30seconds (injectors index 11 original)
- my cylinder 4 is having consistently lower timing than other cylinders

My turbos are RB next gen and I am extremely happy with them, they are a little over a year old and performed flawlessly. I reached to Rob and he gave me a boat load amount of help to try to narrow this issue (
thumbupright.gif
Rob). The last possible suspect was the turbo them self but upon the inspection for shaft play, Rob ruled out the turbo possibility. Rob and I are totally out of ideas.

Is there anyone with some hints? Even if it is something far fetch...I am getting desperate with this issue.

Attachments

• turbo CP collar.jpg
    turbo CP collar.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 188
Reactions: Torgus

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Rob and he gave me a boat load amount of help to try to narrow this issue (View attachment 15483 Rob). The last possible suspect was the turbo them self but upon the inspection for shaft play, Rob ruled out the turbo possibility. Rob and I are totally out of ideas.

A boat load of info but not the obvious culprit seems kind of disingenuous of him since it is a fairly common issue

Turbo seal on compressor side

stephtech

Aug 16, 2018
Quebec, Canada
Ride
2010 335 XI 6AT
A boat load of info but not the obvious culprit seems kind of disingenuous of him since it is a fairly common issue

Turbo seal on compressor side

I am afraid that it might be the case but I trust his judgment and I know he stand behind his products...so I am trying everything else other than the turbos. I may conclude that it is the turbo in fact by rulling out ALL other possibilities first.

thanks

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I am afraid that it might be the case but I trust his judgment and I know he stand behind his products...so I am trying everything else other than the turbos. I may conclude that it is the turbo in fact by rulling out ALL other possibilities first.

thanks

Seems like you have already, and kudos for being thorough.

They're stock frame turbos that you drag with. Turbos aren't invincible, it's not a knock on the product. Checking all of the misc. components after you checked PCV seems a bit like a wild goose chase. It's quacking, it's a duck.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Sounds silly, but check your intake filter(s). If it is excessively restrictive, it can cause the turbo to suck oil ast the compressor shaft seal...or so I was told by the guys at forced performance when I had my Xona Rotor turbo checked for bad deals for the exact same problem you’re having. I’m going to try using a bigger filter on mine, and if that doesn’t work, force them to rebuild the turbo.

MattGu40

Private
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335xi FBO
Got similar problem. and Allmost exact same setup
xdrive
less than 3% Leakdown
175-183 compression test
GC turbo
Bms occ
custom RB external pcv ,ebay catch can AN fittings

Downpipe/Charge pipe/intercooler No trace of oil, dirty intake runners and dirty valves

just cleaned everything walnut blasted. Added a check valve external PCV vacuum referance.
reading 16in/g of vacuum at idle

I think the problem i got is the cheap catchcan, i will add a brass Pneumatic muffler/filter to the catch can see if oil return or not.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Got similar problem. and Allmost exact same setup
xdrive
less than 3% Leakdown
175-183 compression test
GC turbo
Bms occ
custom RB external pcv ,ebay catch can AN fittings

Downpipe/Charge pipe/intercooler No trace of oil, dirty intake runners and dirty valves

just cleaned everything walnut blasted. Added a check valve external PCV vacuum referance.
reading 16in/g of vacuum at idle

I think the problem i got is the cheap catchcan, i will add a brass Pneumatic muffler/filter to the catch can see if oil return or not.
Where are you measuring 16in/hg vacuum? Crankcase or intake manifold because they are not the same.