LSD DIY

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Guys,
has anyone heard any feedback on the DIY LSD reviewed by vehicular DIY on YouTube?

Does anyone know if the kit they offer still requires machining?
I have a Euro 335i DCT car. I'd like to upgrade the drive shaft, LSD and axles but the 2.56 final drive makes that difficult. I can't just transplant M3 parts in without a big change in drive ratio. So makeing my open diff true LSD would be great. I understand a wavetrack or quaif are an option but I'm concerned about the driveshaft to lsd connection. I understand keeping my current diff has the same weak connection but it's a far cheaper route should it break.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
I know it isn't necessarily cheap or easy but there's a lot of advantages with the M drivetrain beyond the stronger diff with LSD, axles and driveshaft. Since you have a DCT you can also swap in the M3 GWS, run the M3 GTS flash, and have drivelogic and adjustable launch control as well. I went ahead and swapped in a 2.81 gear which is still low enough to work with the M3 software but high enough to still give me a decent top end for 1/2 mile racing.

shushikiary

Sergeant
Jun 4, 2018
Ride
335xi
Bird will do the machining for you if you want them to. They still offered it a few months ago when I was talking to them about XI front diff's and said they do the machining on the rear diffs all the time.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Bird will do the machining for you if you want them to. They still offered it a few months ago when I was talking to them about XI front diff's and said they do the machining on the rear diffs all the time.

Problem is that leaves the weak drive shaft to diff connection in place. I want a big thick CV joint like the M3 but would like to keep my 2.56 final drive.

The M3 option looks interesting but seems a bit long winded.

Reactions: JimboFresh206

JimboFresh206

Sergeant
Jan 29, 2018
Ride
335/635/535/533/633
People have put 188mm medium case diffs in the m3 pumpkin, it let's you run a 4 bolt flange instead of the death spline+nut combo, and has alot more ratios available.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I know it isn't necessarily cheap or easy but there's a lot of advantages with the M drivetrain beyond the stronger diff with LSD, axles and driveshaft. Since you have a DCT you can also swap in the M3 GWS, run the M3 GTS flash, and have drivelogic and adjustable launch control as well. I went ahead and swapped in a 2.81 gear which is still low enough to work with the M3 software but high enough to still give me a decent top end for 1/2 mile racing.

Doing the calcs on the speeds before and after the final drive change this actually looks really good. I'm going to see what price a 2.81 lsd comes up here in the UK

Thanks