Ad: M18 Performance Cast Aluminum Valve Cover

bahn

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Nov 5, 2016
Iowa
Just received my valve cover, the one @m18performance posted a picture of above was mine. The valve cover looks great in wrinkle black with a polished logo. The machining on all of the components looks great. I'm getting caught up after being on vacation and the Dual HPFP project testing is taking priority over installing the valve cover but I'm hoping to get it installed shortly. Once installed I'll write up a review for everyone.
20190701_172435.jpg

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
Now if China gets a hold of this lol,just kiddiing.ill be ordering one too,just not sure on color.now the red one above was the m18 shaved or it's a option now without?

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Now if China gets a hold of this lol,just kiddiing.ill be ordering one too,just not sure on color.now the red one above was the m18 shaved or it's a option now without?
Hahaha lol at the beginning of this thread they said they would not offer a shaved option.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I believe the poster of shaved valve cover stated that he did it himself with a flapper wheel.

Neil
The pics were posted by me if you are referring to the Facebook post. It wasnt my cover, it is pics they sent to me. The work was done by M18 and it is currently something you'll do yourself. Maybe if you throw your wallet at him he will sell it off the menu. It's only a few mins of work so it makes no difference to me personally.

Reactions: MDORPHN

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
@doublespaces, not sure why they'd shave their logo off and send you a photo of a de-badged version of their valve cover, especially after they said they weren't offering it. I don't know that it is only a few minutes of work, at least if you want the finished product to look professional. That's a compound curve surface. It is very easy to flat spot that surface when grinding the logo off. Also one needs to get the same surface texture as the rest of the valve cover or it will look like a hot mess even when powdercoated or painted. Can an amateur do it? Absolutely. But it won't be a few minutes of work in my estimation.

Filippo

p.s. I thought it looked great!

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
@doublespaces, not sure why they'd shave their logo off and send you a photo of a de-badged version of their valve cover, especially after they said they weren't offering it.

I asked them to do it so people can see for themselves. So if anyone is at fault there it would be me :)

EDIT: In terms of work/time for an amateur, I can't say. But I'm told it took "8 minutes". I even considered polishing the entire thing myself and then applying a finish to it of some sort, an anodization might even take when that is done?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I asked them to do it so people can see for themselves. So if anyone is at fault there it would be me :)
Hahahaha ... great ... you're such a convincing person, I bet you can get them to offer that as a product :tearsofjoy:

Filippo

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
With the right tools Shaving the valve cover shouldnt be a issue.think im gonna sand it down and polish the valve cover to a Chrome finish to match my polished turbo housing.think that would look good.

Reactions: doublespaces