E9X Making bigger power, what to expect/what to get

Slavsky

Lurker
Apr 13, 2019
Ride
2011 335i x drive e90
Hey guys, new here
Been looking to go stage 3 turbo kit, big boost 3.3 sounds like what I want. But I'm trying to shoot for around 500whp.
Should I bother building the engine at that power?
My oem engine just hit 176k so the decision is, rebuild my current or just buy a new engine and stick with that? Or the unlikely scenario (screw it, your fine, send it on the original block lol)
I hear the stock block can withstand around mid 600s whp, correct?
I'm also automatic, what transmission should I look at getting or is my transmission okay for those numbers.
I know it's an expensive deal, but I wanna get up there in numbers.
Any and all information is greatly appreciated, overall prices for the job would be terrific as well before I start throwing money around.

Reactions: doublespaces

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
I'm an n54 guy but I've known several n55 owners in the 500-599whp range without issues on stock block stock trans. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the transmission is shared across the rwd n5x platforms. I would get a tcu flash like xhp. I've heard of many auto guys running a beefy trans cooler setup as well.

I assume you have all the basic bolt-ons and adequate fueling? What about an LSD and/or sticky tires? Suspension mods?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If you just want 500-600whp then no need to build the engine. Buy some turbos and post back here with your install experience :)

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
I saw your post on the other forum, you've got the same car as me, just with 100k more miles :)

Get a compression test before you worry about a new block, rebuild vs new is very much up to you, your budget, and how built you want to go. For 500 hp, I really doubt you'd want to though.

You'll want at least a stage 2 LPFP and a PI kit. No shotgun for us xdrive people, and no DI upgrades for us early N55 people either (yet!). If you don't already have a larger FMIC (7"+), those are generally recommended with a new turbo kit.

I've seen a lot of claims of people blowing the front diff on lower power than that, though if you're keeping torque lower and avoiding hard launches, you're probably fine. There is a group buy for a front LSD on this forum going, however.

Doublecheck with your turbo vendor before you order, I thought there was an issue with one of the stage 3 kits on either PWG or xdrive cars, but maybe I'm making that up. TBH you're probably fine with a PS2 for 500 whp.

Slavsky

Lurker
Apr 13, 2019
Ride
2011 335i x drive e90
I'm an n54 guy but I've known several n55 owners in the 500-599whp range without issues on stock block stock trans. If I'm not mistaken, I believe the transmission is shared across the rwd n5x platforms. I would get a tcu flash like xhp. I've heard of many auto guys running a beefy trans cooler setup as well.

I assume you have all the basic bolt-ons and adequate fueling? What about an LSD and/or sticky tires? Suspension mods?

Thanks for info
I'm fbo, stage 2+ mhd flash and stage 3 xhp, no sticky, and on bc coilovers
This will be my first "big power" build. Making sure I know what I get myself into

Slavsky

Lurker
Apr 13, 2019
Ride
2011 335i x drive e90
I saw your post on the other forum, you've got the same car as me, just with 100k more miles :)

Get a compression test before you worry about a new block, rebuild vs new is very much up to you, your budget, and how built you want to go. For 500 hp, I really doubt you'd want to though.

You'll want at least a stage 2 LPFP and a PI kit. No shotgun for us xdrive people, and no DI upgrades for us early N55 people either (yet!). If you don't already have a larger FMIC (7"+), those are generally recommended with a new turbo kit.

I've seen a lot of claims of people blowing the front diff on lower power than that, though if you're keeping torque lower and avoiding hard launches, you're probably fine. There is a group buy for a front LSD on this forum going, however.

Doublecheck with your turbo vendor before you order, I thought there was an issue with one of the stage 3 kits on either PWG or xdrive cars, but maybe I'm making that up. TBH you're probably fine with a PS2 for 500 whp.

Big boost 3.3 appealed to me rated for a little over 600 figured I'd get that then once I get the rest of the car built then the turbo is already there, didn't check out the ps2 that much, I'll give a look
Thanks for the info!

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Thanks for info
I'm fbo, stage 2+ mhd flash and stage 3 xhp, no sticky, and on bc coilovers
This will be my first "big power" build. Making sure I know what I get myself into

Does FBO include a walboro 450 LPFP upgrade? You're going to want to move to an aggressive rear tire. Michelins don't cut it.

Slavsky

Lurker
Apr 13, 2019
Ride
2011 335i x drive e90
Does FBO include a walboro 450 LPFP upgrade? You're going to want to move to an aggressive rear tire. Michelins don't cut it.

No fueling upgrades, I'm not on michelins, I'm on Riken all seasons 235s, not big name, but using it for now since they were already on the cosmis wheels I got brand new. Seem to be pretty decent so far.

gmagnus7

Corporal
Dec 3, 2018
Ride
135i N54
Maybe the tires? Even if you've got their high-end all seasons, 300TW on 235s is going to be pretty scary at 500+ whp, especially if you run with xdelete.
Agreed, 100% better tires. Anything above 400 ft lbs you really need stickier tires. Think 200tw or stickier and just plan to buy them more frequently, safety first.

• Agree
Reactions: Torgus

Slavsky

Lurker
Apr 13, 2019
Ride
2011 335i x drive e90
Maybe the tires? Even if you've got their high-end all seasons, 300TW on 235s is going to be pretty scary at 500+ whp, especially if you run with xdelete.
Agreed, 100% better tires. Anything above 400 ft lbs you really need stickier tires. Think 200tw or stickier and just plan to buy them more frequently, safety first.

Oh okay I understand, I figured I'd have to up those too, I'll add it to the list.
Thanks guys.