Max WHP on open deck engine

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
ovaled out two cylinders on open deck engine. Took some harsh treatment and over 35 Psi with 70mm turbo daily driven and abused but was possible.

35 psi for how long and what was the fuel used? That's impressive. I feel uneasy running mine at 27 psi.

A concern of mine has been if the ring gap closes up. Might be able to throw 35 psi at it for a few seconds of WOT but how many pulls in a row before the ring closes and boom!?

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
35 psi for how long and what was the fuel used? That's impressive. I feel uneasy running mine at 27 psi.

A concern of mine has been if the ring gap closes up. Might be able to throw 35 psi at it for a few seconds of WOT but how many pulls in a row before the ring closes and boom!?

????

How would the ring gap close up?

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Close deck isn't expensive. Get your motor down to bare block and send it off to CSS. Its like 8 or 900. Just don't have them drill out the head studs. Take that somewhere else. I have built my motor twice. First time was just rods and pistons. Then due to some shit, I had to rebuild. But the second time I did it all. Closed deck and sleeves. You will save yourself time, money, and headache if you just button everything up now. And if you don't end up doing it, buy all your gaskets from FCP Euro.

Which sleeves?

Would love to hear more about the car.

Jan 31, 2017
www.hydraperformance.com
Ride
2010 135i 6MT
In my experience ovaling of the stock cyls is just a matter of time, regardless of power level. Running more cyl pressure exacerbates the issue obviously. I went from 175-185psi compression across the board to 135-150psi in the space of a few thousand kilometers, despite the engine never (in its life) seeing >22psi. Also seen it happen to an FBO stock-turbo setup @ the 85,000km mark. Keep in mind we don't have access to E85 here so cyl pressures aren't extreme.

RNM

Corporal
Jun 3, 2019
In my experience ovaling of the stock cyls is just a matter of time, regardless of power level. Running more cyl pressure exacerbates the issue obviously. I went from 175-185psi compression across the board to 135-150psi in the space of a few thousand kilometers, despite the engine never (in its life) seeing >22psi. Also seen it happen to an FBO stock-turbo setup @ the 85,000km mark. Keep in mind we don't have access to E85 here so cyl pressures aren't extreme.

Doesn't e85 cool down the motor more so than premium gas?

Reactions: RuskiRacer

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom

It doesn't "cool the motor" per se but it removes a ton of heat in combustion. It's why motors that weren't intended for boost survive so well with E85. That it's ability to resist knock.

I think the point he was making is he isn't turning the boost up as much as we do in the US

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i

It cools the air coming into the cylinder and the cylinder and piston due to evaporation and a higher latent heat energy.
EGTs may be lower at the same power level vs gasoline but when E85 or any other ethanol blend is making more power, it's because the peak cylinder pressure is higher. The knock resistance of ethanol allows more boost and/or timing to be run.
Countries lacking E85 are generally knock limited by the fuels they can use. So they can't run as much boost and/or timing. They generally see lower peak cylinder pressures so should be less ovaling. Water Methanol injection can be an option to change that.

Kenjermen

Sergeant
Nov 6, 2016
N las vegas NV
Are you still on the upgraded clutches factory transmission? If so how is she holding the power this far
I was original trans when I made 900, the input shaft was the weak link and evenually broke. Now the trans has upgrade baskets/shafts and propulsion dynamic clutch packs and seems to be pretty solid so far

Reactions: RSTECH