MDrive on 1M DME

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
There’s a guy over on e90 post that’s written an arduino program that will toggle M Drive on and off with the steering wheel button press for those with 1M DME
His screen name is superwofy

I’ve invited him here as he may be able to help us with other things 😉

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
seems he figured out the triggering sequence
shouldnt be too hard to make it smaller with dev boards such as esp32/blue pill which has an onboard can controller
run it off a usb charger thing, hook it up to kl15 ignition and canbus behind the ihka, done

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
It’d be great if we had some M3 can logs.

We need to replicate the storage in the m3 DME of the various levels for engine power, shift logic, and servotronic and maybe edc as well.

it would be pretty big for the n54/5 community.

This would mean that you could effectively enable the feature set the m3 had originally.

imagine changing maps on the fly, changing suspension tune, steering weight, howyour car shifts without having to flash or leave the drivers seat. Imagine being able to save two setups and recall the sportier of the two by a press of the steering wheel buttons.... 🙃

is it just me or is that something that people want ?

Reactions: ShocknAwe

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Definitively would like a M feature set on nonM DME.

Skeptical this can be done though.wouldnt this require the M steering rack and TCM?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Definitively would like a M feature set on nonM DME.

Skeptical this can be done though.wouldnt this require the M steering rack and TCM?
Servotronic rack has been done.... TCM ? Do you mean DSC? if so that’s been done too

Last edited:

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
To be clear yes you need the steering rack but don’t need a DSC module. the M DSC module is electrically the same as the non M and you can flash m software on all 6 cylinder e9x cars 👍🏼

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
It’d be great if we had some M3 can logs.

We need to replicate the storage in the m3 DME of the various levels for engine power, shift logic, and servotronic and maybe edc as well.

it would be pretty big for the n54/5 community.

This would mean that you could effectively enable the feature set the m3 had originally.

imagine changing maps on the fly, changing suspension tune, steering weight, howyour car shifts without having to flash or leave the drivers seat. Imagine being able to save two setups and recall the sportier of the two by a press of the steering wheel buttons.... 🙃

is it just me or is that something that people want ?

steering weight and dsc sensitivity would be useful... everything else...
well...i personally wouldnt need it but i can think of some use cases (gf/wife)

Reactions: aus335iguy

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
steering weight and dsc sensitivity would be useful... everything else...
well...i personally wouldnt need it but i can think of some use cases (gf/wife)

I liked the dsc setting in m mode the last time I drove one, but I suspect it has more to do with the clutch type diff they have rather than true dsc engagement. Haven't really had any issues with dsc cutting in since switching to a Drexler.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Since i went to a custom tune with v8bait my dsc mode is great It let's me get like 15 degrees of yaw and is smooth with the torque reduction so it feels like a 2 stroke revving out. It may have to do with jayoma adding the newer shift timing fix for manuals. That disabled soft limiter so you bounce off rev limiter like a 2 step with spark cut and it seems traction control Is way less agressive.

My real question is would this logic allow 5 boost or timing settings?

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
and logic

there would need to be spacein the DME for 5 sets of tables and logic. someone would also have to write the logic. I guess because we know there’s space for two maps because flex fuel fits there’s room for at least 2 if you can do without flex

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Since i went to a custom tune with v8bait my dsc mode is great It let's me get like 15 degrees of yaw and is smooth with the torque reduction so it feels like a 2 stroke revving out. It may have to do with jayoma adding the newer shift timing fix for manuals. That disabled soft limiter so you bounce off rev limiter like a 2 step with spark cut and it seems traction control Is way less agressive.

Did Justin adjust your DSC somehow in your tune? Also last I heard for the tq limiter fix was a while backz is there something new or had you just not enabled it yet?

AzNdevil

Lieutenant
Staff member
Nov 4, 2016
Hong Kong
I liked the dsc setting in m mode the last time I drove one, but I suspect it has more to do with the clutch type diff they have rather than true dsc engagement. Haven't really had any issues with dsc cutting in since switching to a Drexler.

clutch type diff engages are lot softer during transition... it is good but clutches do wear out and its $$$
ultimately it depends on how you use your car and if its more setup towards street on street/track duty then its not really worth it imo

but i do have traction issues in 2nd/3rd gear around ~3-5k rpm with pure stage 2s at 20psi on a 255/265 bridgestone re71r tires + mfactory lsd setup especially during corner exit

as for m mode dsc settings, i am not sure how the dme handles it... but it is possible to affect how the car behaves when dsc kicks in...

it is possible to tune torque reduction or disable it completely in dme when dsc intervenes ... the maps are not defined yet afaik
it is possible to tune thorrtle closure when dsc kicks in but this indirectly affects how much throttle the car would pull when it overboosts or when load actual goes above load requested

it is also possible to change the yaw thresholds through ncsexpert in the dsc module...

Reactions: aus335iguy

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Anyone have or can get their hands on a trace of an OE 1M DSC they can share?

I've been trying to get comm active from 1M SZL to DME (IKM0S) on stock hardware 335is DCT. It won't let me default code under M1DSC, the module is set to a different index # than the 335 DSC. I suppose I either need to figure out how to change the SG index in the 1M ipo/prg or try to manually code the 335 DSC to 1M settings...the latter seems easiest to try next. Also open to any suggestions :)

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Don’t know much about it but Pete’s thread on e90post seems to indicate that the file can be flashed easily. O think he was talking about an M3 one though.

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
Don’t know much about it but Pete’s thread on e90post seems to indicate that the file can be flashed easily. O think he was talking about an M3 one though.
I'm trying to stay away from the M3 stuff. 1M seems to match 335is for the most part, TIS even shows the same DKG/GWS pinout on the 1M. Not that it's always accurate. Keeping it 1M *seems* like it at least shouldn't require hardware changes, but obviously more problematic on the coding side. Everything else takes without a problem, just the M1DSC index is holding that one up.