MEVD17.2 emulation in development

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
The DME? It could be interesting for high power single turbo N54 applications with the N55 cylinder head and sensors/actuators. The MEVD DMEs have much more generous scaling out the box for load, torque, pressure, and there is space for a lot more new calibration tables. You would have lower flow solenoid injectors instead of higher flow piezo injectors. Except its price, and crank hub problems, the S55 seems to be the golden child with its closed deck block, dual fuel pumps, but its DME is seriously stretched in memory terms for available RAM which I'm planning around, but it is a slight limitation for the quality of emulation. The N54's MSD8x has lots of free RAM, but hardly any free calibration. What seems free of all these problems? Audi RS models, McLaren MED17...

cookiesowns

Private
Nov 13, 2017
Ride
2010 535i ZHP6 + 2017 M2 6MT
Level 10 expert only visibility for power users :) I am about to confuse the crap out of most:

Ethanol content sensor frequency output -> microcontroller -> ethanol content (0.1% scaling so 1000=100% ethanol) -> CAN bus -> gateway > DME -> store result in memory backed up by EEPROM after driving -> this table to convert to ethanol %.

The flexibility here is to change the pointer to something else and scale the "ethanol" input how you like based on any variable you like. Originally this was going to be a voltage input from an ethanol content analyzer, but now it is from a CAN input. It could be a constant value that can be altered by flash or realtime tuning, a value backed up in EEPROM after driving as a map switch/blend value, some status from a water/methanol/port injection system...

Similar concept expandable to other features.

View attachment 10908

Definetly not confusing and fairly straight forward. Great work man! Can't wait to realtime tune the MEV172 DME's.

I don't talk much about the encryption stuff, but it is novel in the automotive aftermarket. It has been running flawlessly since September on my wife's N55 though.

There are other firsts here too: using CAN bus for custom inputs on an OEM ECU, and being able to freely realtime tune any table/value rather than just those the developer has curated/selected is also new to the automotive aftermarket without a physical emulation device in the ECU.

I hope the final quality and usefulness reflect the effort and innovations involved.

It is orders of magnitude more ambitious than the GT-R work I did for Cobb. The market enjoyed that. I know burbles will outsell realtime tuning, but maybe the most popular aspect of it will be realtime burble adjustment. I will try to suppress my feelings on that as long as my cat is fed.

Man, I wish one day I will be able to meet you and pick your brain. I'm a Web Engineer by day and aspiring automotive tuner/hacker by night. The stuff you are doing on these DME's will push the platform forward astronomically, and thank you for picking the correct partners!

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
I am glad the final logic makes sense.

ECU hacking is now pretty niche involving microcontrollers and assembly. That was stuff I picked up as a child hobbyist in the 1980s where there were books in the secondary school library on 6502 assembly language and a "computer" diary you might give to a geek child like me at Xmas had Z80 and 8086 instruction sets listed in it. So you still had to geek out and seek it out, but now although information is more available than ever, the interests and skills that drive ECU hacking appear to be dwindling as there are so many other things to do in IT, and unless specialized, a lot of IT and even CS education can turn out graduates that don't know (or haven't actually used to solve actual real world problems) what self taught people like me think of as the fundamentals of our craft.

After learning 8 bit assembly with only three registers, with restricted use, without a multiply instruction to having a 32 bit CPU with lots of general registers still makes my eyes widen. Even more magical is that GCC actually compiles stuff that runs on an actual ECU. That still surprises and delights me. When it doesn't, it is time to retire.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
6502 was in the NES and the Z80...Sega genesis? But I think the Genesis was 16 bit so perhaps it was a 68k? I have forgotten :(

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Further back. I am 43...

Atari 400/800XL/130XE were my first three computers in the 80s :)

One computer I have not seen in a very long time is an Amiga. I remember playing Silk Worm on that. Trying to download that game for my IBM resulted in getting a ROM and attempts to figure out what to do with it led me into emulation and my programming interests.

Reactions: LamboLover

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I did some assembly code on a fox 20(I think it was called) but haven’t used any knowledge of that for a very long time. I wish I’d have stayed with it now !

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Bench tests passed for early N55 E series to late N55 F series, DME work is complete if it all tests OK in cars.

Realtime/emulation working in my Audi too, that was a PITA working out how to get through the gateway, but the hours of bench testing have worked.

TO DO: In car testing, finish firmware for interface for the ethanol content sensor/realtime tuning, write a WinOLS plug in for the VAG emulation as the market for those doesn't use TunerPro as VAG tuners have a legacy of files I will need to inter-operate with.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
In car test on E92 335i is good. The half check engine light with "chime" and the central display with half an engine show and disappear when they should in response to the custom errors. CAN ethanol content getting through the gateway. Few more checks, but looking good.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Man I can't wait. I have so many things I want to try that aren't practical without live tuning. Not to mention the additional safety and flex fuel. E54 is what we have at the pump here and it's what I run for convenience even though E40 seems to be the sweet spot. With flex I can mix without pulling out a calculator every time and if I'm off it isn't a big deal.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
FWIW, this is a log of our bone stock 335i DCT running stage 1 plus (prob an old version from November) on 99 RON, 43000 miles, spark plugs less than 10000 miles, standard charge pipe LOL, but in this case, the main tuning related tables are running from gasoline and ethanol identical copies without a real ethanol content sensor, but since the pairs are identical, regardless of the ethanol content and blending it should look identical to a stage 1 plus log of the same version. Nothing looks surprising to me.

Attachments

• 2018-05-10 13_29_15_8618483_v1.0 Stage 1 plus 93oct_98ronDCT.csv
    21.6 KB · Views: 188
Last edited: