MEVD17.2 emulation in development

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
The OBD device can make a hotspot and join another hotspot. There are issues to resolve around a cell phone accessing a hotspot generated by the OBD device and cellular data. I don't think a cell phone can join two WiFi networks at once. A PC can with a second wireless interface, so a USB nano adapter for a few bucks would do. To be investigated. Alternative is BT/BLE which the hardware can do, but this is a mega fast device over WiFi. The cell phone could also make a hotspot that the OBD device can join. Need to work out how users enter info and how to handle forgotten changed passwords on a headless device with no buttons, no USB and a single LED. Any ideas appreciated. Most of the rest to do is things like over the air updates, finish off K line. Flashing, logging, realtime, flex fuel seem good in bench and some car tests.

Cannot believe how big this project has become and how exciting it will be to get into your hands :)

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
The device definitely needs at least one button to reset to defaults; i cant see a way around the forgotten password scenario. Unless you have open Wifi/Bluetooth pairing or something like that ?
So....with your work N55’s will have real time tuning and an OBD device will enable this over Wifi...How much of this is transferable to N54?

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
N54 will flash and log wirelessly over K line (2006/7) and CAN (2008 - ) with this device. CAN flashing performance has the potential to be 3-4 times faster than existing DCAN devices on N54 if N55 performance is indicative, but it has not yet been tested on N54.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
N54 will flash and log wirelessly over K line (2006/7) and CAN (2008 - ) with this device. CAN flashing performance has the potential to be 3-4 times faster than existing DCAN devices on N54 if N55 performance is indicative, but it has not yet been tested on N54.

I'm ready to test as I work on MHD for some "i" phones :)

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
The device definitely needs at least one button to reset to defaults; i cant see a way around the forgotten password scenario. Unless you have open Wifi/Bluetooth pairing or something like that ?
So....with your work N55’s will have real time tuning and an OBD device will enable this over Wifi...How much of this is transferable to N54?
The packaging to get everything in a small enclosure with FCC certified module has been really tough. So far there are no apertures in the enclosure for buttons. I am hoping to devise a software only solution that is secure but cannot lock people out. It could be that the hotspot the device makes has a unique, unchanging password, that can be used for access, but also to alter the credentials to connect to home/dyno WiFi. Presently, the only prototype only makes a hotspot with a fixed password and does not connect to other networks.

N54 - I have not done any N54 DME code so far apart from some security stuff. I have 2 years of development in the Bosch 17 series DMEs, but barely looked at Siemens in comparison. That along with some important differences between them and my interest in flashing other Bosch ECUs for other makes, means I won't be doing realtime for N54. Jake might.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
The packaging to get everything in a small enclosure with FCC certified module has been really tough. So far there are no apertures in the enclosure for buttons. I am hoping to devise a software only solution that is secure but cannot lock people out. It could be that the hotspot the device makes has a unique, unchanging password, that can be used for access, but also to alter the credentials to connect to home/dyno WiFi. Presently, the only prototype only makes a hotspot with a fixed password and does not connect to other networks.

N54 - I have not done any N54 DME code so far apart from some security stuff. I have 2 years of development in the Bosch 17 series DMEs, but barely looked at Siemens in comparison. That along with some important differences between them and my interest in flashing other Bosch ECUs for other makes, means I won't be doing realtime for N54. Jake might.

So perhaps @jyamona will pick up the torch here using your hardware? I wonder if this would allow better logging resolution and more maximum channels?

Xer0449

Corporal
Jan 30, 2017
I'm so excited to see this come to market.

Thanks for the documentation during this, seriously.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Thanks.

Revised hardware prototypes tested, running nice and cool with new power supply. Tested with real flex fuel sensor instead of function generator - all good. Final revision planned related to internal connections between the plug and the main PCB as the connector supplier have an improvement that will make it easier to manufacture. Still some work on firmware for power saving and updates in the field needed.

VAG MED17 flasher working on the bench, finally got all the checksums automated yesterday, there are loads of them! Full 4MB flash in under 3 minutes and change map in under 30 secs, the CAN comms are just so much nicer through VAG gateway than BMW F series for latency and throughput. The emulation that was the original topic of the thread works even better on VAG too.

I paired with two others to form a startup with a combined experience of about 40 years in reverse engineering and calibration, and many years running our own businesses mostly in different fields. Things are getting very interesting for me right now :) Next year we'll bring some products to market.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Lots of the work has gone into Audi flashing, firmware and hardware revisions. Flashing working in car.

The economics did not work out for supplying the device to existing tool suppliers.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Lots of the work has gone into Audi flashing, firmware and hardware revisions. Flashing working in car.

The economics did not work out for supplying the device to existing tool suppliers.

Meaning, you're going to have to distribute the tool direct?

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Good thanks. I am travelling presently, and wide awake at 4am. Lots is coming together. Hardware, software, business, dyno etc.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Think we are going exotic after 4.0TFSI since that is what we are tuning most of using other's tools now. We just got a 720S into the 8s on stock turbos, taking the record from a car with upgraded turbos.

scrllock

Sergeant
Dec 17, 2018
Ride
2011 335xi
So I'll be able to flash my N55 flex fuel map from my watch? Glad I kept my android wear device around if so!

edit: Just took a look at your site, very excited to see these DS1 teasers. Can't wait to see you guys hit production!

Last edited: