MEVD17.2 emulation in development

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
why didnt they wanted to be associated with it ?

Legal reasons mostly. The source of the exploit and the coder for example was all secret and it was just a mess and nobody else wanted to claim it. Long story, but he didn't do anything besides make a private forum where one person shared a ton of information about how the exploit worked and the rest of us sat and watched.

Here is a throwback I made when I suicide posted on e90post, calling out Jason for over censorship of the forum(They would delete everything):

I got into a few arguments with Shiv(and that RomBinHood fellow who worked for Apple) about his Open source flashing tablet not actually being open source. They even changed their product description/name, this motivated me to start decompiling some popular bmw software looking for decryption keys or algorithms. The owner of that software offered to help us if I promised to stop posting the disassembly online. So if anything I did more for open source flashing than Sticky ever did, and yet I still played no real hand in the result. So I'm baffled about how he can tell people he was responsible for that software at all. In fact, I recall he took donations for the development of that software and then kept the money.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
In fact, I recall he took donations for the development of that software and then kept the money.

He took donations again when I was going to port it to Android before I decided instead to work with Martial on the MHD side of the fence. He kept those. He also took donations for table discovery and XDF work (of which I did all the work), got sour when I decided to host the files on github instead of his forum, and I never saw a penny of that either. He also complained repeatedly about my signature asking for donations for the XDF work, saying I was "double dipping." I think overall I got under $1/hr rate for the time spent on XDF stuff hahaha.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Found the cold start. Working on all the F series N55/S55 engines too. Lots of work because even though I'm automating everything I can, a lot of addresses to patch need to be found manually from disassembly. Ordered a bench MEVD172G to test with. I got hold of an Audi MED17.1.1 ECU (for my 4.0TFSI) and on the bench was able to transfer some BMW code and get realtime working on that too. This upset a VAG tuner who felt it threatened his exclusivity on the $135000+ of ECUs he'd bought and developed to do realtime tuning. I thought it was just progress trying to bring this sort of technique into the wider market. Suppose some push back is a good sign it is a useful technique. Next year should be exciting.

Last edited:

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
Found the cold start. Working on all the F series N55/S55 engines too. Lots of work because even though I'm automating everything I can, a lot of addresses to patch need to be found manually from disassembly. Ordered a bench MEVD172G to test with. I got hold of an Audi MED17.1.1 ECU (for my 4.0TFSI) and on the bench was able to transfer some BMW code and get realtime working on that too. This upset a VAG tuner who felt it threatened his exclusivity on the $135000+ of ECUs he'd bought and developed to do realtime tuning. I thought it was just progress trying to bring this sort of technique into the wider market. Suppose some push back is a good sign it is a useful technique. Next year should be exciting.

Lol! That's awesome! you have the ability to boost the n55 market more than ever, open up a new era in s55, tuning by us guys that don't want to probe through win ols, etc. Please keep doing what youre doing. Id love to be able to tune a e9x m3 in real time as well if that's in the cards.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Lol! That's awesome! you have the ability to boost the n55 market more than ever, open up a new era in s55, tuning by us guys that don't want to probe through win ols, etc. Please keep doing what youre doing. Id love to be able to tune a e9x m3 in real time as well if that's in the cards.

MSS60 is quite a different beast. Think Bosch "17" type ECUs will keep me busy for a long time. S55 though should be fun although they have used a lot of "my" memory which limits the emulation compared to N55.

Who was upset? And who needs to buy that many ECU's to do development? Hahaha

The development ECUs with hardware emulation devices and INCA are very expensive and capable but beyond the realm of all but OEMs and the very occasional aftermarket tuner who needs many different types to cover Bosch and Siemens. My Bosch 17 work only covers parts of the market.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars

Probably should pay more attention to this thread. I had the CS tables, lol.

Keep it up. Ping me if you need something

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Have you confirmed that the cold start tables in 98G0B and late E series work as intended? They have been in 98G0B xdf for a while but not heard any feedback since I gave the addresses to Martial. One of the things I struggle to automate well is xdf generation because the import is a bit weird.

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Have you confirmed that the cold start tables in 98G0B and late E series work as intended? They have been in 98G0B xdf for a while but not heard any feedback since I gave the addresses to Martial. One of the things I struggle to automate well is xdf generation because the import is a bit weird.

Haven't tried late E yet. But will soon since its winter time now. But they seemed to do the job on a full E85 car so far.

Reactions: LamboLover

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
@LamboLover do you have the the overrun tables defined for 98g0b? I built a new tune after flashing PPK and would like to reduce or get rid of the exhaust burbles but keep the rest of the PPK changes. Overrun tables are not defined in the public xdf.

Thanks.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
If you know the names of the tables you are looking for I can try to find them from F series info.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
I do not know the table names. On MS43 the exhaust pops were implemented by disabling overrun fuel cut and modifying the closed throttle ignition retard tables but I don't know how BMW did it with PPK and I do not know what those tables would be called on MEVD17. I have a catless DP and full exhaust so I find the pops pretty annoying. There are a few hundred undefined differences between my original bin and my ppk bin. It would be nice to know what they are. What would I need to attempt to define them?

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Without the names I am stuck for suggestions as it is not something I have investigated or been anywhere near. Without any production A2L matching PPK Vs normal it is difficult. Perhaps some of the tuners or MHD will have tested these.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
Perhaps you could make all the changes that are unaccounted for one by one but that would be a good target for emulation.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
Ok, I guess I will have to deal with the pops for now or maybe just go back to my non-PPK based bin. I did send Martial an e-mail so we will see what he says.

Pardon my noob-ness but how are the tables that are defined found? I was hoping it was something I could learn and perhaps have something to contribute. MS43 was nice with the entire bin defined.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
MS43 was nice but this is way more complex and there is no A2L for 98G0B. You can compare binaries in TunerPro and choose whether to restrict to items defined in the xdf.