MFactory DCT SMFW (6 and 8 bolt)

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
I have had mine installed on my shop car for over a week now. It is the best $500 modification I have ever done. No misfires and I have been beating on it hard 19-20psi with stock turbos. The trans feels and shifts like an m4. My flywheel was completely toast all the fluid leaked out and it was only a matter of time until it would have failed catastrophically.

Did you reuse your original clutch pack?

335is02

Corporal
Mar 10, 2018
Ride
2012 BMW 335is
How do I know if I need the 6 bolt or 8 bolt version? 2012 335is E93 here.
The old group buy post should answer most of your questions
012F2E9B-0E63-4249-9727-62868DE9DF26.png

Last edited:
Reactions: hellokitty

MFactory

Corporal
Oct 25, 2016
We've sold quite a few of these now, and no one has contacted us regarding any issues.

A quote from a previous post:

4N Performance said:

I have had mine installed on my shop car for over a week now. It is the best $500 modification I have ever done. No misfires and I have been beating on it hard 19-20psi with stock turbos. The trans feels and shifts like an m4. My flywheel was completely toast all the fluid leaked out and it was only a matter of time until it would have failed catastrophically.

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
We've sold quite a few of these now, and no one has contacted us regarding any issues.

A quote from a previous post:

4N Performance said:

Well what feels uncomfortable is you have sold quite a few but you have feedback from one person. It would be nice to hear from more people, maybe see some logs.

I hope you can see where we’re coming from. We have been asking for literally months for peoples experiences and have gotten nothing. It just doesn’t add up.

I have your LSD and love it. But I bought that after reading multiple posts saying how satisfied users were. I would think the same would happen with this flywheel by now.

Last edited:

MFactory

Corporal
Oct 25, 2016
Unfortunately, I can't control whether customers post their experiences here or not :(

AJL

Private
May 11, 2017
Ride
2011 335i M Sport
@houtan I just installed mine last week while doing my DCT swap. Unfortunately I ran into some programming issues, so it's not on the road yet. Are you just specifically looking for info about helping with misfires or what?

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
@houtan I just installed mine last week while doing my DCT swap. Unfortunately I ran into some programming issues, so it's not on the road yet. Are you just specifically looking for info about helping with misfires or what?

Thanks for offering to provide real world feedback.

To be honest, I am just looking for the most basic feedback to determine if this is a viable alternative to the m2/3/4 flywheel. For the price of a used m2/3/4 flywheel I can get a brand new mfactory unit, so it would be nice to know if it actually works.

The main thing I am looking for is are the misfires related to the factory flywheel resolved. But also, how is drivability with the m factory single mass flywheel?

We know the m2/3/4 flywheel fixes the misfire issue. The m2/3/4 flywheel also has really good drivability based on driving my friends ps2 135i. His car drove similar to stock and he had ssp clutch packs. But I would expect that since the m2/3/4 flywheel is dual mass.

I hope you get your programming issues figured out. I am sure you are going to be pumped once you get everything working.

AJL

Private
May 11, 2017
Ride
2011 335i M Sport
Thanks for offering to provide real world feedback.

To be honest, I am just looking for the most basic feedback to determine if this is a viable alternative to the m2/3/4 flywheel. For the price of a used m2/3/4 flywheel I can get a brand new mfactory unit, so it would be nice to know if it actually works.

The main thing I am looking for is are the misfires related to the factory flywheel resolved. But also, how is drivability with the m factory single mass flywheel?

We know the m2/3/4 flywheel fixes the misfire issue. The m2/3/4 flywheel also has really good drivability based on driving my friends ps2 135i. His car drove similar to stock and he had ssp clutch packs. But I would expect that since the m2/3/4 flywheel is dual mass.

I hope you get your programming issues figured out. I am sure you are going to be pumped once you get everything working.

I got the programming all fixed up and the car is on the road, so I can provide some preliminary results.

Things to keep in mind:
- Sport button doesn't work, so I can't really judge how it shifts in sport mode
- I'm unsure of both the transmission and clutch health (this was a used transmission after all)
- I have no baseline for comparison because I had an AT before this
- There *may* be an exhaust leak on the downpipe->midpipe connection, but the more I drive the more I think it's just chatter.
- There's a chance I screwed up somewhere along the way and something is just rattling under load. But, you can feel this through the whole vehicle...

However I can offer some feedback on my specific experience so far:
- There is quite a lot of noise and vibration caused by the single mass; Especially at low RPM / high gears. Like, it's bad to the point I want to switch to the M4 flywheel already because this is a DD, not a weekend toy or race car. This video @ 0:15 doesn't do it justice, but gives you an idea.
- After taking a turn in D mode, the transmission tends to stay a gear too high (e.g. 3rd instead of 2nd) to prevent noise when accelerating
- At idle there is a noticeable amount of chatter, but it's not outrageous.
- Driving in D and S/M mode it shifts fine, doesn't seem to be fumbling around or anything. Again, I'm unsure of what right feels like though.

Reactions: houtan and Xer0449

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
Thanks for the feedback @AJL.

Congrats on getting her running! Please let us know how things develop as you get everything worked out.

Reactions: Xer0449

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2

Hey @AJL. Just checking in to see how things are going with the flywheel.

AJL

Private
May 11, 2017
Ride
2011 335i M Sport
Hey @AJL. Just checking in to see how things are going with the flywheel.

I mean, it's fine. Noise is pretty extreme but I've mostly gotten used to it. However, I do get some weird looks when people hear it idling - kind of sounds like something is broken lol. Driving around with the sport button engaged greatly helps with driveability and noise. No actual problems with the flywheel to report, and my transmission hasn't exploded.

When I get some extra funds I'm probably going to replace it with the S55 flywheel. Might keep this one around for use on another DCT project though.

Also here's some more footage, because why not.

Reactions: houtan

houtan

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2017
Ride
135i N55 DCT; PS2
@AJL. Really appreciate you taking the time to post an update and sharing the video. I agree that I will go the OE flywheel route to keep it quiet.

Car looks like it’s running solid though. I am not a quarter mile guy, but just curious, what was your time?

Reactions: AJL

AJL

Private
May 11, 2017
Ride
2011 335i M Sport
@AJL. Really appreciate you taking the time to post an update and sharing the video. I agree that I will go the OE flywheel route to keep it quiet.

Car looks like it’s running solid though. I am not a quarter mile guy, but just curious, what was your time?

Not a problem! It's always frustrating when there's very little public feedback on a product.

I think my quickest was like a 12.6 that night. That stock turbo life :p I really just wanted to try out launch control some more lol.

Reactions: houtan