E9X MHD Flashing Issue.. HELP!!

Orteeze

Lurker
Apr 25, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
I'm at my wits end here..

Note: Not here to bash the tuner who will be left unnamed, but he's well known. We've tried several revisions to work around the issue, still no luck.

Mod list:
2011 E90 335i
PS2 PWG
Precision Racework Coils
AEM Progressive Meth Controller (disconnected ATM)
FBO's

Recently switched to flash only from MHD BEF. From the first revision the car has had a weird idle, STFT maxed, AFR's thru the roof, etc.. At first, MHD Stage 2 MAP's would work, now the only thing that allows the car to be driven is MHD Stage 0 or the stock bin. My BEF flash doesn't even work anymore.

We've tried the following:

-Flash Back to stock and reinstall MHD
-Samsung Galaxy S8
-LG G2
-Bimmer Geeks Cable
-Amazon Cable
-Samsung dongle
-Google dongle
-Charging while flashing
-MHD 1.53
-MHD 1.24
-New OBD2 Housing and Terminals

It will eventually throw the following codes:

2BEA
2C42

Again, I can flash MHD Stage 0 and it'll drive just fine. There have been times where I load a revision of a custom tune and I can drive, log, and load the next revision and it's back to garbage. I can go back to the previous revision I was able to log in, and back to running like shit again. I've reached out to MHD and they have no idea why this is happening. Just doesn't make sense it would be hardware related if Stage 0 runs just fine.

Do I go ahead and replace the O2?? The thing is when I got to MHD MAP 0 everything works fine...
mad0259.gif
mad0259.gif
mad0259.gif

https://datazap.me/u/orteeze/log-153...data=4-8-12-13

Last edited:

Xer0449

Corporal
Jan 30, 2017
I don't think this is a tuner problem, this seems like it could be a hardware issue.
Have you checked out this thread? https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102784

To confirm, the maps actually flash just fine?
Did you start having these issues immediately after removing the jb4? 2011 is a split year for DME's - are you sure you don't need a bench flash?
I haven't looked up the codes, but your rail pressure takes a shit during idle like that?

Last edited:

Orteeze

Lurker
Apr 25, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
I don't think this is a tuner problem, this seems like it could be a hardware issue.
Have you checked out this thread? https://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1102784

To confirm, the maps actually flash just fine?
Did you start having these issues immediately after removing the jb4? 2011 is a split year for DME's - are you sure you don't need a bench flash?
I haven't looked up the codes, but your rail pressure takes a shit during idle like that?

I always get a successful flash every time. I usually don't use a charger, but I did try flashing with charger to rule that out.

My car is was built in 06/10 and I've been running MHD E Series N55 since the moment it was released. All 2011's are flashable so are early 2012's.

I removed the JB4, loaded up the custom flash and started having the problem immediately. Since then, it's hit and miss. I can load the same revision flash and sometimes it'll idle/drive fine and other times it's what you see in the log.

The rail pressure at cold start is normal from what I've gathered thru some forum posts. Starts off ~2k psi then drops to 700-800 psi. No matter what, the car idles fine at cold start (open loop), once it starts receiving feedback from the 02's (closed loop) it takes a shit. Now, there are times that I have to flash up to 3 times MHD Stage 0 for it to be even drive able, but it eventually works.

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
2bea - Saw a bunch of those this week - 335i and 535i. The HPFP was replaced and all is well.

2c42 - that one seems to be more disconcerting. Anything that shows up as an Dme internal error would be.

If you flash back to stock. Not map 0. Can 2c42 be cleared and stay clear ?

Orteeze

Lurker
Apr 25, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
2bea - Saw a bunch of those this week - 335i and 535i. The HPFP was replaced and all is well.

2c42 - that one seems to be more disconcerting. Anything that shows up as an Dme internal error would be.

If you flash back to stock. Not map 0. Can 2c42 be cleared and stay clear ?

I've only flashed back to stock to uninstall MHD and reinstall. I can try that sometime today.

With the 2BEA cases you've seen, has the rail pressure dropped below 700 psi?

tony@codewerx

Corporal
Apr 1, 2017
Ride
E92
I've only flashed back to stock to uninstall MHD and reinstall. I can try that sometime today.

With the 2BEA cases you've seen, has the rail pressure dropped below 700 psi?

Rail pressure did drop and the multiplicative showed up to 1.3 at idle. It may stall and have some delayed engine start - more indications of a pump going south ...

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
Have you checked the wiring are you sure you didnt bend something when you removed the JB4?

Orteeze

Lurker
Apr 25, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Have you checked the wiring are you sure you didnt bend something when you removed the JB4?

I can go back and check, yesterday I repinned my stock TMAP to rule that out.

All of the sensors that go with the JB4 seem to read properly; WGDC, rail pressure, and MAP/TMAP.

Orteeze

Lurker
Apr 25, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
Checked all pins and sensors that were associated with JB4 and didn't see anything. Soldered my CAN wires for good measure.

I uninstalled MHD completely and flashed back to stock. No codes and the car idles fine as of now. I'm sure I'll get the 3106 code after a few driving cycles. I'm going to reinstall MHD and see what it does.