MHD - No Exhaust Burble?

Discussion in 'N54' started by squeedle, Aug 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. squeedle

squeedle Lurker

SF Bay Area
    2009 135i AT MSport Coupe
    Just flashed my N54 AT 135i with MHD for the first time. I used the Stage1 91oct map. In the options, I selected catted downpipes (which I have) and exhaust burble to 1sec/1sec and "soft". Didn't hear any burble. Upped it to 1sec/1sec "hard", still nothing.

Is this a feature that only works with catless downpipes or something?

2. Clean WHP

Clean WHP Private

2008 135i fully loaded
    not sure, but I know an aftermarket / louder exhaust exaggerates the burbles. My car is on 1 sec soft with a BMR 3.5" full exhaust and VRSF catless downpipes so it definately is a loud exhaust, and the burbles are pretty loud even just on soft

3. squeedle

squeedle Lurker

SF Bay Area
    Yeah I watched your vid. Sounded great. But no burbles here. :(

4. doublespaces

doublespaces Administrator

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    How high do you take the RPMs? Got a vid?

5. squeedle

squeedle Lurker

SF Bay Area
    I tried everything from 2k to almost redline. No vid, sorry. Kinda baffled.

6. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    I've never played with those settings and I'm catless so I can't really help you out there, sorry. Your cats may just be doing a good job. I'd tell you to turn it up more if you can but I don't want to be the reason you blow your cats out, lol

7. squeedle

squeedle Lurker

SF Bay Area
    I tried it at "soft" (2nd lowest setting) and "hard" (highest setting). So there's nowhere more to turn it up. :) I disabled it at the end because it was doing nothing and I'd rather not waste fuel or risk anything funky happening until I figure this out. Does MHD offer any support?

8. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
  9. 1and1

1and1 Private

The sound is barely audible with the stock exhaust. I ran a berk street axleback on my '09 135 with an AT and the burble was very noticeable. When I switched back to the stock muffler the sound was so hidden I finally just switched off the burble option.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  10. Often for the first couple drive cycles after flashing a new map, it will not do any burbles on mine as well. What I would do is re-flash the map, do a complete drive cycle and then see if you can get some burbles when letting the revs idle down from like 3500 - 4k.

Also, whenever you do check for codes or anything like that is your Evap completing?

11. squeedle

squeedle Lurker

SF Bay Area
    sorry what's "Evap completing"?

12. It's a readiness check but, could possibly interfere with the burbles.

13. doublespaces

AZ
    2009 E93 335i
    Evap, if I remember correctly, is a picky one. You have to drive a wide variety of speeds and distance in order to get it to click over to ready.

14. It is a touchy one but, I would highly suggest just driving like normal but, don't pass the 3k RPM mark for about 10-20miles. Find a nice long low-traffic road and play your favorite album :D

15. I'm catless and no burble here as well. No matter what I tried it didn't sound any different than stock so I ended up just disabling it as well. When it was released there were 1 or 2 other people in the same boat. I don't think anyone ever understood why.

16. 08_335i

08_335i Sergeant

2008 ST 335i
    I've found on mine anything under the most aggressive and at least 2 seconds I don't get anything out of it.

17. squeedle

squeedle Lurker

SF Bay Area
    Interesting, I'll probably just leave it off then. That's too bad, because I do love the sound, but I don't want to go catless or buy an exhaust which will do nothing except for possibly sound louder.

18. Duplicities

Duplicities Lurker

E90 335i FBO w/ Inlets (soon)
    Just go catless, you wont regret it. Although I truly only started hearing the burble after cutting out my mufflers and replacing them with a 2.5" pipe.

19. squeedle

squeedle Lurker

SF Bay Area
    Nah, no catless for me. The car is wicked fast already, I'm happy. :)

20. BMWE92_Harry

BMWE92_Harry Private

N54 E92
    I flashed mine and took coupe drive cycle for it to become very noticeable. I have it set to the second to the highest setting, but i am going to tune it down a bit, it gets annoying on deceleration after awhile.
    -BMW performance exhaust, VRSF catless DP, MMP turbos.