MHD Updates - Shift Bog (Tq Lim 2048) Delete & PI Safety

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
Not really, unless your XHP shift points are higher than what is in your DME flash (this shouldn't be the case). In AT cars, the TCU determines when you shift so you should never hit the DME limiter.

Hey J,

I have a Propulsive Dynamics Unit and if I use stage 3 or 2 xHP it jerks, lurches, hesitates under wot. Do you think that this is related to the topic you are talking about here? My DME limiter is being exceeded by xHP? I when using the PD stock transmission flash, or even Alpina flash, the trans is virtually undetectable when shifting. Only in xHP stage 2 and 3 is there an issue.

Thoughts appreciated. Should I reflash OTS v8 with this option checked to fix this issue?

VT

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Hey J,

I have a Propulsive Dynamics Unit and if I use stage 3 or 2 xHP it jerks, lurches, hesitates under wot. Do you think that this is related to the topic you are talking about here? My DME limiter is being exceeded by xHP? I when using the PD stock transmission flash, or even Alpina flash, the trans is virtually undetectable when shifting. Only in xHP stage 2 and 3 is there an issue.

Thoughts appreciated. Should I reflash OTS v8 with this option checked to fix this issue?

VT

So you see tq lim 2048 at the top of your gears? If so check the box and reflash. If not, it's something to do with your TCU flash. It sounds like the latter.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
So you see tq lim 2048 at the top of your gears? If so check the box and reflash. If not, it's something to do with your TCU flash. It sounds like the latter.

You mean in a log it would say torque limiter?

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
The parameter to log is called "tq lim active" and if you are effected, it will shoot up to 2048 in a log.

I think I was not clear. So what you are saying is that in MHD, if I log option "torque nm actual".... then that option would show 2048? You mean 2048 nm - which would be impossible.

VT

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I think I was not clear. So what you are saying is that in MHD, if I log option "torque nm actual".... then that option would show 2048? You mean 2048 nm - which would be impossible.

VT

It is not torque nm actual, as I said the parameter is called "tq lim active" in the list. It will log various torque limiters, like 1 for traction control, 3/4 for gear shifts, 2048 for "bog". There are no units, it is an arbitrary number referring to the torque limiting strategy used.

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
It is not torque nm actual, as I said the parameter is called "tq lim active" in the list. It will log various torque limiters, like 1 for traction control, 3/4 for gear shifts, 2048 for "bog". There are no units, it is an arbitrary number referring to the torque limiting strategy used.

Ahhh! Ok. I will do a log with that option on then. Thanks.

Vt

• Dislike
Reactions: glachhman

Stider

Lurker
Oct 12, 2018
Ride
'08 335
@jyamona
Thank you for bog fix. We were waiting for it for a couple of years. Absolutely insane! But after rising boost from 24psi to about 26-28 psi I'm started to getting 29DC(cylinder injection swith off) between every shifts. Looks like hpfp is dropping and not recover fast enough causing error. HPFP replacement did not solve the problem. Same thing. Could you look at the logs.
Specs:
hpfp new
port injection
LPFP
dual 450lph
ADV o2
110518_0741.jpg

Attachments

• 2018-11-03 21_38_35Map_6_DTC.csv
    10 KB · Views: 63
  • 2018-11-03 21_18_29Map_6_OK.csv
    15.8 KB · Views: 65

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Perhaps you have some JB4 settings wrong, I'm not sure. If you were using whatever @Terry@BMS had as a hack around for "bog fix", you will need to revert it to the way it was originally. Additionally you should check the "PI Safety" flash-time option since you are using port fueling.

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
@jyamona
Thank you for bog fix. We were waiting for it for a couple of years. Absolutely insane! But after rising boost from 24psi to about 26-28 psi I'm started to getting 29DC(cylinder injection swith off) between every shifts. Looks like hpfp is dropping and not recover fast enough causing error. HPFP replacement did not solve the problem. Same thing. Could you look at the logs.
Specs:
hpfp new
port injection
LPFP
dual 450lph
ADV o2
View attachment 18087

Looks like a legitimate fuel pressure issue. But for starters make sure clutch wire is back in and FUD.4 disabled so we see true gear, and log again.

111618_1122.jpg

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Looks like a legitimate fuel pressure issue. But for starters make sure clutch wire is back in and FUD.4 disabled so we see true gear, and log again.

View attachment 18090

@Terry@BMS

You always promote your JB4 and sell it based on it's features. You rarely toot your own personal horn however and expose how well you support your customers after the purchase.

This is amazing, a guy has an issue, posts on a public forum, you find it within hours and step in to help him out.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
@Terry@BMS

You always promote your JB4 and sell it based on it's features. You rarely toot your own personal horn however and expose how well you support your customers after the purchase.

This is amazing, a guy has an issue, posts on a public forum, you find it within hours and step in to help him out.

I did tag him, but still... pretty good :)

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
I did tag him, but still... pretty good :)

I was working with him earlier but couldn't really put my finger on it. I told him to come and ask if it was something to do with NLS since that's all I could think of with injector shut off.

Brakthru

Private
Feb 20, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i
Hey guys,
Any movement on a solution for post shift timing drop 3rd to 4th gear on AT cars?
I strongly believe the DME is programmed to limit torque during the shift to scale back too much wheel spin going into the next gear especially in higher gears for obvious safety reasons. It would still be nice to have a little more control over this issue. It seems like when we come up with one fix, the ECU finds other ways to control power during shifts. I was getting torque limit 2048 on my AT until bog fix came out. It helped but now timing drop became more stretched out before recovering. Lol!

Last edited:

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Hey guys,
Any movement on a solution for post shift timing drop 3rd to 4th gear on AT cars?
I strongly believe the DME is programmed to limit torque during the shift to scale back too much wheel spin going into the next gear especially in higher gears for obvious safety reasons. It would still be nice to have a little more control over this issue. It seems like when we come up with one fix, the ECU finds other ways to control power during shifts. I was getting torque limit 2048 on my AT until bog fix came out. It helped but now timing drop became more stretched out before recovering. Lol!

I don't think that this would manifest as a "correction." Probably has more to do with tuning that split-second off throttle moment that can induce timing corrections.

Brakthru

Private
Feb 20, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i
I don't think that this would manifest as a "correction." Probably has more to do with tuning that split-second off throttle moment that can induce timing corrections.

No split second off throttle for me. I have seen corrections going into 4th gear after changing tunes. It usually goes away after the DME adapts but still throws a correction here or there during the shift sometimes. Im on stockers and the main thing thats helped me is MHD knock desensitization. I dont have any tuning issues I'm aware of. All parameters in check ie HPFP, afr, lpfp, octane etc. What I was referring to is that normal timing drop we see during the shift. Sometimes on my car I see the drop stretched out a little longer to reduce torque going into the next gear. During my testing, the DME can throw corrections some call false knock or give you a longer timing drop delay. I've concluded the controls are in place to assist with traction so we're not spinning out of control everywhere. Throttle closures, timing reduction, fuel cuts, short shifts, delayed shifts, torque reduction etc. The DME can use any method at its disposal to control how much power to put down during traction events from my experience. Thank God we can tune some of this stuff out but the DME still remains in control most of the time. Otherwise, these beast would be spinning out nearly every give on the 6AT car.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
No split second off throttle for me. I have seen corrections going into 4th gear after changing tunes. It usually goes away after the DME adapts but still throws a correction here or there during the shift sometimes. Im on stockers and the main thing thats helped me is MHD knock desensitization. I dont have any tuning issues I'm aware of. All parameters in check ie HPFP, afr, lpfp, octane etc. What I was referring to is that normal timing drop we see during the shift. Sometimes on my car I see the drop stretched out a little longer to reduce torque going into the next gear. During my testing, the DME can throw corrections some call false knock or give you a longer timing drop delay. I've concluded the controls are in place to assist with traction so we're not spinning out of control everywhere. Throttle closures, timing reduction, fuel cuts, short shifts, delayed shifts, torque reduction etc. The DME can use any method at its disposal to control how much power to put down during traction events from my experience. Thank God we can tune some of this stuff out but the DME still remains in control most of the time. Otherwise, these beast would be spinning out nearly every give on the 6AT car.

I don't think that's how that works but I'll let someone more knowledgeable chime in.