MHD Wifi

berns

Corporal
Jan 15, 2018
Ride
'09 135i
Odds of the app for iOS too, or still all Android based?

berns

Corporal
Jan 15, 2018
Ride
'09 135i
FUCK YES! Thank you. Now I can log on track with my phone in my pocket instead of figuring out how to stop my shitty Android tablet from moving around or the cable constantly falling out.

berns

Corporal
Jan 15, 2018
Ride
'09 135i
Well both will allow wifi so the tablet wouldn't have the cable issue anymore either haha.

Tablet is a piece of crap, and just another stupid thing to be flying around in the cabin when taking turns are 120 or decelerating from 140-60 as fast as possible haha.

It's pretty minimal in here.
BuFLPqNl.jpg

typedRew

Sergeant
Feb 25, 2019
Ride
2009 335i xDrive
FUCK YES! Thank you. Now I can log on track with my phone in my pocket instead of figuring out how to stop my shitty Android tablet from moving around or the cable constantly falling out.

Sounds like you need a Pro Clip mounting solution

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
If the WiFi module in this is the one I think it is, it can connect to WiFi and host WiFi simultaneously, which is useful for getting over the air updates and giving user flexibility. However, unless the device buffers the flash, you would not want to stream a flash through a router outside the vehicle, so I can see why most would not give that option.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
I think it will do the latter but not the former? I believe one needs a built version of the kernel for the power management part, IIRC. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the basis for some of the custom in-car Android solutions. Timur is a good example, though dev on that halted a while back.

I've been looking at options on some of this for a while ... and of course E89 has a few challenges, but which now seem possible to overcome. I'm interested in dedicated broadband connection, and what I'd like to do is ultimately push all sensor data to the cloud - I'm sure to a bunch of you, I don't have to say much about why that's interesting. Transportation Logistics companies are doing some of this ... and there is some stuff in the wild to support it. But I haven't really seen anyone in the car enthusiast world playing with the possibilities. Obviously F1/24 hr/etc are doing some of this ... but I think we are quickly getting to feasibility for us little people :). Storage and bandwidth is affordable, etc.

Filippo

Start a thread. I’ll be there.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
I think it will do the latter but not the former? I believe one needs a built version of the kernel for the power management part, IIRC. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but this is the basis for some of the custom in-car Android solutions. Timur is a good example, though dev on that halted a while back.

I've been looking at options on some of this for a while ... and of course E89 has a few challenges, but which now seem possible to overcome. I'm interested in dedicated broadband connection, and what I'd like to do is ultimately push all sensor data to the cloud - I'm sure to a bunch of you, I don't have to say much about why that's interesting. Transportation Logistics companies are doing some of this ... and there is some stuff in the wild to support it. But I haven't really seen anyone in the car enthusiast world playing with the possibilities. Obviously F1/24 hr/etc are doing some of this ... but I think we are quickly getting to feasibility for us little people :). Storage and bandwidth is affordable, etc.

Filippo

From another forarm: "I downloaded an app called Tasker ($2.99) to start the tablet and run MHD when the car turns on, then close MHD when the car turns off. The MHD app its self has an option to start in Monitor (gauges) mode, so now its completely automated. " So it sounds like you do need a custom Kernel, not the end of the world but 1 more step. Personally I would pay for a full kit that had a harness for the android tablet, tablet with custom kernel, and instructions to set up tasker or any other app so it works correctly. Just leave it in the glove box or attached to a mount and boost away.

So we just need it to start in auto monitoring mode. I believe from the gauge screen this is a click or two, MHD should easily be able to make this a clickable box/feature. Given how small logs are I wonder if you would just want to log everything including part throttle and then every 50 logs or so have it delete the oldest, if that makes sense.

What is great about this is if you go WOT and throw a CEL you automatically have the data saved as to what happened. Same if going part throttle you throw a code your tuner and or mechanic has information to work off of.

I am really liking this idea. Especially having it log either all the time or at least every WOT event.

Is there a reason MHD is limited and you have to select what data you want to monitor? Any reason we can't just monitor all the information instead of have to click on and off boxes?

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
pretty sure the can bus can only support a few several streams to monitor otherwise if it could it would.

Its a bandwidth thing or something like that.

Whish the msd81 had an internal logger that ran on a loop and we could just pull the log out if we wanted or something went wrong.

That would be by far the easiest, wishful thinking.

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
yes but it gets its info via canbus doesn't it, so your limited to a number of streams it can read.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
If you like screwing around with something that doesn't always work, then Tasker is for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
And not to digress ... but there are CANBUS loggers ... rat hole and getting off topic.

Filippo

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
And not to digress ... but there are CANBUS loggers ... rat hole and getting off topic.

Filippo
Again, start a thread I’ll be there.... :) My whole life revolves around telemetry and the internet of things before the internet was a thing.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Again, start a thread I’ll be there.... :) My whole life revolves around telemetry and the internet of things before the internet was a thing.
Would like to but I need to stop chasing squirrels and focus. This is a later project (I've just been doing background research on downtime between fires). RIght now I have to get ready for physical mods on the Z4 - we're stilling working stainless outlet, need to wrap up parts shopping for car disassembly for Hydra turbos, XClutch. Just got an N54 head and looking for someone to do an old-school manual port/polish so we can add that to the install, upper rear controls just arrived and went to Barry so he can modify them to have an adjustable top ball joint (so camber can be adjusted from both top and bottom), and I'm sure I'm forgetting 3 other things I need to resolve so we are not screwed any more than we already will be when the car comes apart on the lift for a week.

Funny you said that. I was doing text search and big data analytics systems before either had those names and generally existed ... so that makes us both older than millennials :grin:

But ... yes ... I want to do some electronics integration on the car with some data acquisition that eclipses sucking a WOT log down and jamming it in a web graph ...

Filippo