MHD Wifi

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
No. Canbus is not used.
I thought all MSD80/81 used CAN for datalogging, but early N54 vehicles around 2006 forward it on K line to the OBD port? The early MEVD17 use CAN at the DME and CAN at the OBD port, later use mostly flexray at the DME and CAN or 100 BASE TX at the OBD port.

LamboLover

Corporal
Apr 6, 2017
Ride
Everything
The microcontrollers typically used are laughably inadequate, and are the bottleneck. However, in some cases, especially some BMWs, the speed of the gateway and the DME processing compression are not that far behind so you can get triple the CAN bus throughput with a faster processor but only complete the overall flash 50% quicker. On other vehicles, the faster hardware shines when you can transfer a calibration segment in 10 seconds with fast hardware and a minute with slow hardware.

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
So I imagine that’s why the Bimmer geeks Bluetooth and MHD wifi claim faster flash times. Beyond that is there anything the average msd81 owner can do to get greater logging throughput ?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
So I imagine that’s why the Bimmer geeks Bluetooth and MHD wifi claim faster flash times. Beyond that is there anything the average msd81 owner can do to get greater logging throughput ?

Custom code to the rescue. Just in the "thinking" stage on it, but have some good ideas.

Reactions: doublespaces

martymil

Major General
Sep 6, 2017
Down Under
Ride
S65 1m
Most of us can live with the flash times but with wireless charging and WiFi logging its no excuse why you should not be doing this everytime you drive.

Second hpfp control via dme would be the next leap forward.

Looking forward to what else is installed for this well maturing platform from mhd.

Still hope to get a max cool button on the gauges just like the jb4 app has.

Last edited:

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Mahvelus! Now I can get rid of those cables poking out from the trim on my dashboard.

KevinC39

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
335i
Well, it's been almost 3 months since we saw the hardware pictures. Are we any closer to a price or release date? I don't recall seeing anything in the thread. I've got a turbo kit to go on when this heat wave quits and wifi would help with the frequent logging to get the car dialed in.

SJ_1989

Sergeant
Aug 7, 2018
Illinoisssss
Ride
2008 E90 335i
I'm also waiting patiently for this. My OEM cluster is going to be tucked under the dash and a tablet is going to be my main display. Rather not have a cord running to the tablet if I can help it.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Absolutely can not wait for this. Switched from JB4 -> MHD recently in preparation for hardware and custom tune and really hate this cord given I came from logging with JB4 mobile and their JB4 connect kit.

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

GreyNBlueE92

Sergeant
Oct 3, 2018
OH
Ride
2007 E92 335i
Well, it's been almost 3 months since we saw the hardware pictures. Are we any closer to a price or release date? I don't recall seeing anything in the thread. I've got a turbo kit to go on when this heat wave quits and wifi would help with the frequent logging to get the car dialed in.

I almost asked the same thing last night. Wish it could hurry up lol

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I'm also waiting patiently for this. My OEM cluster is going to be tucked under the dash and a tablet is going to be my main display. Rather not have a cord running to the tablet if I can help it.
Interesting! I can’t wait to see the results of your handiwork.

The Convert

Captain
Jun 4, 2017
Ride
Still nothing? Hey, maybe we'll get some black Friday sales at this rate
MHD doesn’t owe you anything. If you don’t like the speed they’re working at, spend your money somewhere else. Passive aggressive comments aren’t going to speed them up.