Misfires on cylinder 6 at high boost... weak hpfp ?

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Has zero to do with your HPFP. You have an injector on bank two that is not metering correctly once in boost. Very common on these motors. Your log shows exactly that. Your Rail pressure is not "tanking" as some people are saying. If you also had a log of the FCV voltage you would see the rail pressure is dropping there because the DME is telling it to do so. When you come into boost look at your AFR's they both drop to 10:1 most likely due to an overaggressive PI map at boost onset. The DME tries to correct it by dropping rail pressure as well as other things. Bank 1 AFR recovers fine as the DME dials back fuel, but bank 2 stays rich in the 10's this is because your injector is dumping a bunch of fuel it isn't supposed to. The DME sees this rich condition and tries to correct it by dialing back fuel again, but it can only do so much, you get fuel trims out of whack, and a super-rich AFR on bank 2. These cars will actually run ok lean, if you run them rich they misfire immediately. Get a new set of injectors in the car, your problem will go away.

Last edited:

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Has zero to do with your HPFP. You have an injector on bank two that is not metering correctly once in boost. Very common on these motors. Your log shows exactly that. Your Rail pressure is not "tanking" as some people are saying. If you also had a log of the FCV voltage you would see the rail pressure is dropping there because the DME is telling it to do so. When you come into boost look at your AFR's they both drop to 10:1 most likely due to an overaggressive PI map at boost onset. The DME tries to correct it by dropping rail pressure as well as other things. Bank 1 AFR recovers fine as the DME dials back fuel, but bank 2 stays rich in the 10's this is because your injector is dumping a bunch of fuel it isn't supposed to. The DME sees this rich condition and tries to correct it by dialing back fuel again, but it can only do so much, you get fuel trims out of whack, and a super-rich AFR on bank 2. These cars will actually run ok lean, if you run them rich they misfire immediately. Get a new set of injectors in the car, your problem will go away.

Does JB4 have some backwards logic I am missing? Do positive trims with JB4 mean that the dme is taking fuel away? Does TRIMS2 correlate with AFR1??? That would make more sense since "0" trims supposedly means -33%? Trims1 is 0 while AFR2 is reading rich.

Rail pressure IS tanking. Looks like wheelspin now that I look at the log again. 2nd gear with rpms jumping causing boost to spike to 20psi+ and rail pressure to drop. You're picking out a rich point in the log after boost is already falling again and the HPFP is already recovering (he's starting to hook back up). Maybe it is pid related, maybe it isn't, but the low rail pressure could definitely induce misfires. I know you n54 owners like to think it's ok to run low rail pressure...

AFR2 doesn't stay rich either... it actually leans back out to about 13:1 @ 5100rpm before enriching to 10.8:1 @5800rpm. STFT is pretty much +20 across that rpm range. Fuel trims are positive the entire pull. That doesn't align with leaky injectors dumping more fuel then they are supposed to. AFR1 seems to be behaving the way it's supposed to in-line with TRIMS1.

You mentioned port injection, but, i didn't see anywhere where he said he was running port injection? I do see OP made a post selling a port injection kit though...

Looking at the second log, with 3rd gear in isolation, there seems to be a few artifacts in the data. JB4 errors? FP_L reads out at "7" early on and then later AFR reads out as ".1". is this normal JB4 behavior lol? Log looks more normal with no wheel spin... AFR looks much better. Trims are positive but that's normal for a JB4 car running more boost or ethanol than the base map is dialed in for.

I wonder exactly where OP is having misfires? During wheelspin in 2nd gear where boost is spiking and HPFP is tanking? Some other specific place in the logs he posted?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Sounds like you are the expert.

OP best way to keep throwing parts and time at the car is to just follow this persons advice, he seems to have it all figured out. After you do that, and you actually want the problem to be fixed. Go ahead and swap your injectors with a new set or at least the 3 in bank 2. PI or not that is your problem. But hey we just started working on these, and the DI system so what do know. ;)

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Sounds like you are the expert.

OP best way to keep throwing parts and time at the car is to just follow this persons advice, he seems to have it all figured out. After you do that, and you actually want the problem to be fixed. Go ahead and swap your injectors with a new set or at least the 3 in bank 2. PI or not that is your problem. But hey we just started working on these, and the DI system so what do know. ;)

Apparently not enough to answer a single question I asked.

Misfires during a period of wheelspin = bad injectors. Got it. Makes VTT sense.

First log I floored it and it misfired as soon as i went into boost :fearscream: and set a CEL.

Looks like I was able to answer one of my own questions. Thanks.

Last edited:

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Anytime I try to get into boost with a target of anything higher than wastegate pressure ( 14.5 psi ) it will misfire. I don't run port injection, only pump gas 94. Injectors have maybe 5000 miles on them at this point. It also happened once or twice at wastegate spring. At this point it seems like I only have 3 options

1. Change injectors <- seems like the most probable cause. o2 sensors also have the same miles as the injectors.
2. Might need a proper tune ?
3. Upgrade ignition

I appreciate you guys trying to help, thanks!

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Anytime I try to get into boost with a target of anything higher than wastegate pressure ( 14.5 psi ) it will misfire. I don't run port injection, only pump gas 94. Injectors have maybe 5000 miles on them at this point. It also happened once or twice at wastegate spring. At this point it seems like I only have 3 options

1. Change injectors <- seems like the most probable cause. o2 sensors also have the same miles as the injectors.
2. Might need a proper tune ?
3. Upgrade ignition

I appreciate you guys trying to help, thanks!

Can you get a better log? 3rd gear, 3,000rpm+? Does it misfire if you go WOT at like 5,000rpm? or, only when you go WOT at 3,000rpm? Try getting a log in 3rd gear of both...

a second gear log with a bunch of wheel spin in it isn't worth much.

Last edited:

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
It misfires as soon as it starts getting into higher boost. Wastegates open, starts misfiring within a second. At anything other than wastegate spring. I don't believe I can get an MHD log because the JB4 blocks off the obd port and with JB4 off I would be running wastegate spring so it wouldn't misfire.
RPM didn't seem to matter.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Thanks to everyone who helped. It was the injector. Replaced it and all is back to normal.

Yes, glad it's fixed. Thank you Chris for your expertise with JB4. OP, why run the JB4 if you're not using PI anymore? Seems like it's throwing back some erroneous data in the logs as if it's not working 100%.

Reactions: twinturbos

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Yes, glad it's fixed. Thank you Chris for your expertise with JB4. OP, why run the JB4 if you're not using PI anymore? Seems like it's throwing back some erroneous data in the logs as if it's not working 100%.
I use it as a meth controller and I've had jb4 for over 5 years so I like using it I'm used to it and love on the fly map changes.

Was it one of the index 12 injector?
Yes. Not even 6000miles on it.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Nothing wrong with JB4!

We are injector/misfire experts. You have to understand how many injectors Tony went through in pursuit of pushing limits/finding DI limits. Tony can change and code injectors in well under 20 mins. This was hard-won expertise lol.

• Funny

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
Nothing wrong with JB4!

We are injector/misfire experts. You have to understand how many injectors Tony went through in pursuit of pushing limits/finding DI limits. Tony can change and code injectors in well under 20 mins. This was hard-won expertise lol.

Since I have you here now, could you tell me what you think about this log ?
Anyone else who wants to comment is welcome to do so also. First pull over 20PSI for me. Only finished installing meth while the car was having injector issues so never had a chance to up the boost.

Bnks334

Lieutenant
Dec 1, 2016
New York
Since I have you here now, could you tell me what you think about this log ?
Anyone else who wants to comment is welcome to do so also. First pull over 20PSI for me. Only finished installing meth while the car was having injector issues so never had a chance to up the boost.

can you bring meth in a bit earlier @ like 17psi/4500rpm? You have a brief lean moment there where trims maxed out as boost comes in. AFR was in the 16's.

Last edited:

twinturbos

Sergeant
Jan 1, 2019
Ride
E92 335i MT
can you bring meth in a bit earlier @ like 17psi/4500rpm? You have a brief lean moment there where trims maxed out as boost comes in. AFR was in the 16's.
Thanks, I'll check out the meth settings and try to adjust it.