Mishimoto F2X | F3X FMIC for N55, N20 and N26

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Looks like Mishimoto has started to develop an intercooler for the F chassis. This was taken from their blog post: https://engineering.mishimoto.com/2...mw-f2xf3x-intercooler-rd-part-1-stock-review/

I wonder what kind of timeline we're looking at and if there will be any conflicts with the non-M Sport cars?

51LNDA4.png

LxF4bx2.png

Mishimoto

Lurker
Mar 29, 2017
New Castle, DE
www.mishimoto.com
Thanks for the share!

I got a tip from our social media guy to head over here this morning to fill you guys in.

I'm Nick, I'm the journalist attached to this project so I'll add this to my list of forums to keep updated on this intercooler.

So, we're speeding right along at this stage in the game. Our donor car is heading back to DC with it's rightful own this afternoon. We have a rough prototype done for fitment to make sure it fits, which it does, beautifully. I'm pushing for an update on the project by Friday so keep an eye out for that.

To answer your question about the non-m sport models, it will fit, but the only downside is you'll have to ditch the factory shrouding. We wouldn't have been able to make the best product if we were designing around the different shrouds and ducts on each model.

Like I said, I'm already working on an update, so keep an eye out!

Thanks
Nick

Reactions: doublespaces

Mishimoto

Lurker
Mar 29, 2017
New Castle, DE
www.mishimoto.com
Guess there is nothing in the works for E9x models?

Nothing currently in the works for the E9x models, but we already have an intercooler available for sale for the E9x 335i models : https://www.mishimoto.com/search-simple-2010-BMW-335i-xDrive

We're also still on the hunt for a few more loaner vehicles for test fitting. If you're in the Delaware area and are willing to loan us your car for a few days, drop me a line and we can work out the details.

Here's what we're looking for:
  • '14-'16 228i
  • '14-'16 235i/M235i
  • 2013+ 320i
  • '12-'16 328i/335i without the M-Sport package
  • '14-16 428i/435i
  • 2016+ M2

Thanks!

-Nick

Reactions: My235XI

Mishimoto

Lurker
Mar 29, 2017
New Castle, DE
www.mishimoto.com
It's Friday! And in my last half hour at the office before the weekend I'll leave you with a quick peek into what's going in Delaware. I'm working on the next blog post with a lengthy write up, so I'm only going to give you a little bit of a teaser for now.
First off, our loaner 335i went back to its rightful owner on Wednesday, but I was able to get a little artsy with it before it left the facility.
032917_NLT_F30_Portraits_005.jpg

032917_NLT_F30_Portraits_007_1.jpg

Now on to the more juicy stuff. So we are doing a stepped core design, but we got creative with it. Our engineer, Steve, dubbed it the "sexist intercooler of all time."
Our 3D printed mock-up end tanks
033017_NLT_F30_INT_RD_ProtoSeal_001.jpg

Steve scrutinizing every inch of our fitment prototype
033017_NLT_F30_INT_RD_ProtoSeal_002.jpg

That's all for now, keep an eye out for the next Engineering Blog update!
Thanks
Nick

Reactions: Itsbrokeagain

Mishimoto

Lurker
Mar 29, 2017
New Castle, DE
www.mishimoto.com
Just to give you guys a quick update, we're moving through our list of cars we need to get into the shop to confirm fitment. We just had a beautiful M2 in yesterday and have a few more lined up. Hopefully we can start our production sampling very soon.

I'll keep you posted on more updates to come!

-Nick

Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Just to give you guys a quick update, we're moving through our list of cars we need to get into the shop to confirm fitment. We just had a beautiful M2 in yesterday and have a few more lined up. Hopefully we can start our production sampling very soon.

I'll keep you posted on more updates to come!

-Nick

So, M2 no longer needed, right?

Mishimoto

Lurker
Mar 29, 2017
New Castle, DE
www.mishimoto.com
041817_NLT_F30_Prototype_1-2.jpg

The main engineer on the project, Steve, working on removing the front fascia of the 328i we have in today.

Just a quick update for you guys, we finally were able to get a first hand look at the shrouding and duct work under the standard bumper 3-series today. This might throw a minor wrench into some of our plans but nothing serious. We're getting very close to having the designs finished to be sent off for a sample production prototype.
Stay tuned!
Nick

Mishimoto

Lurker
Mar 29, 2017
New Castle, DE
www.mishimoto.com
Happy Monday SppolStreet!

If you're anything like me, you already need a Monday morning pick-me-up. Well, I have good news! Production for our sample intercooler will begin very soon, which means, yes you guessed it, a big update!

As always, check out the full write, and the gallery of our donar cars so far for this project up on our Engineering Blog

032217_NLT_F30_INT_Stock_5-1.jpg

Improving on a design that has already been tested and retested is never an easy task, but the engineers over at BMW always up the ante by having this pesky habit of living up to their moniker, "The Ultimate Driving Machine" which leaves little room for error.

I’ve always been a huge fan of BMW, especially when it comes to the meticulous engineering that goes into each and every one of their vehicles. Every model they put out is designed to last. Whether it be a 28-year old 3-series speeding around the flat back roads of New Jersey, or the much bigger and heavier X3 taking on the winding mountain roads of the Colorado Rockies with ease leaving a smile on your face also seems to be a design requirement. For most BMW owners, their thorough engineering and attention to detail is more than enough, and typically such thought in the design process shouldn’t lead to adverse characteristics, but we saw differently upon peeling back the front bumper cover of our loaner 335i.

Shrouding-Comparison-1.jpg

There were a few recurring themes in the stock review of BMW’s intercooler which were the abundance of different forms of shrouds and duct work behind the bumper cover, the lack of space to work with, and the wide range of fitment our new design has to fit. These three factors left us with two different designs to choose from.

The first design that came to mind was to design our F2X/F3X intercooler similar to the unit we produced for the E9X 335i's, which would entail a bar and plate construction, and expand the core of the intercooler to the shrouding. We already have a general baseline of the performance value and fitment of this design, so it seemed like a no brainer. Almost.The problems we run into with this design would be the fact that for our E9X intercooler, we were only designing to fit one model, but this unit will have a much wider fitment range. Performance will potentially suffer with this design as well. With the thicker core, the airflow have more rows of fins to penetrate, and could be less efficient transferring heat from the intercooler.

E9x-Intercooler-1.jpg

Another viable design option was to stretch our new intercooler over the available space in the front of the Bimmer, with a tall and thin design. Filling the space between the primary radiator and the crash bar means having a core that has both an increase in volume and surface area over the stock heat exchanger. An additional benefit to this design would be a thinner core, meaning the heat can be transferred from the charged air more efficiently. There are of course some drawbacks to using this design as well. The biggest obstacle is operating around what keeps the car in one piece, the crash bar. The small price to pay for keeping you safe in the case of a crash is that this bar blocks airflow from the upper section of the intercooler. We plan on keeping the inlet diverter to make sure the full core is being used, but that won’t matter if there isn’t any airflow to a third of the core. On top of that there still the stock shrouding to contend with for fitment.

032417_NLT_F30_Int_Stock_4.jpg

I would assume that many of you have already looked into aftermarket intercoolers for your F2X or F3X, so you know there's another option for a core design. Also, if you have been paying attention, I gave you guys a little teaser a few weeks ago, and I'm not confirming that our intercooler will, in fact, be a stepped core design.

033017_NLT_F30_INT_RD_ProtoSeal_001.jpg

Our new core will have a bar and plate construction, and replace the degradation prone plastic end tanks with aluminum tanks. To make sure that every fin on the core is being used to full potential, we are keeping with one part of the stock design to have diverters inside of the end tanks. We are increasing the core volume by 96% to a total of 963in³. All seem like standard improvements to an intercooler, but we decided to add one more addition which was the 115-degree angle of the top section of the core. The unique shape, in addition to our included shrouding will create a sealed passage for the airflow without blocking flow to the radiator.

Here's a look at the design renderings of our intercooler:

042617_NLT_F30_INT_Render_1-1.jpg

042617_NLT_F30_INT_Render_2-1.jpg

042617_NLT_F30_INT_Render_4-1.jpg

With our initial sample production only just starting we should have our first test unit back in Delaware in the coming weeks to start running our tests. Until then, feel free to ask any questions you might have!
Thanks!
-Nick