MMP BOV Garbage

PIST_N54

Aug 30, 2019
If this is the wrong area to post this, please correct me. I'm usually not one to post on the forums but this is an issue. I have been seeing a few horror stories of MMP products basically blowing up motors and the guys there are blaming it on other things with no fault of their own. I bought an mmp charge pipe/ bov prior to seeing this stuff because the price point was good. I had already purchased a tial for my 535 and didn't wanna buy another. The car ran great, until a couple of weeks ago. The car was running sluggish. it didn't sound right. I started to notice the blowoff valve not opening as quickly as it did, then the blowoff valve got to where it would not open at all. I decided to take it off and do some maintenance thinking it was just sticky etc. Well, upon removing it, I realized there were pieces missing from the bottom of the BOV. I immediately pulled the intake manifold. I didn't know what I was looking for, but I knew something came loose and I thought it was in my motor. I checked the first 5 ports and nothing, but port 6 held a surprise! the magical piece that came off the bov. I got really lucky. the piece was too big to get down into my valves/motor but it could have been horrible. I will never buy anything from them again. their laziness and cheap Chinese parts could have blown my motor. I know parts of theirs have led to the demise of other peoples N54s.

Attachments

Last edited:

Torgus

Captain
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Jesus.

The BOV has one job. I do not see the value in cheapening out on it. There are knock off tial's on the net btw. Tial with correct spring and vac line ftw.

Shame, glad you caught it.

• 1Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

fmorelli

Colonel
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Bingo. Do not buy Tial or any other product from a vendor that is not authorized (that includes NGK plugs and other things knocked off by China). BTW that includes Amazon Marketplace purchases. I've had conversations with Amazon and thus far, they've made no credible case for validating products shipped from their warehouses. They just "guarantee" authenticity ... no motor replacement getting paid for on the counterfeits :)

Filippo

• 1Agree
Reactions: Torgus

PIST_N54

Aug 30, 2019
Yeah I learned my lesson! It did sound good while in use, but it just couldn’t hang. They lost me after this one. They are local for me as well. Brand new tial is now on the car, never again will I go the cheaper route! Just wanted to get this up there so other people thinking of being cheap would see what it gets you.

• 1Like
Reactions: Torgus

derekgates

Corporal
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
What! That is insane! Is this a knock-off TiAL? I am trying to figure out what 'came off' like that.

BOVs are certainly expensive. I thought my Evolution Racewerks charge pipe was outlandish on price but it has been rock solid for me.

Sorry you got burned. :(