veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
@veer90 Were you using the first edition of boostbox or the final revised version? Just curious

Never ran a boostbox on my car. I've seen plenty of posts and logs of them acting up (even the latest revision) to know I don't want one lol.

I'll consider running one if they release a statement clearly stating what the issue was and what was done to fix it. But it's Motiv so they won't say anything.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Here's hoping OP's engine turns out better than the ones that failed. Second MMP engine failure was just made public today.

second MMP engine failure.png

Image text:
I'm gonna go ahead and share my experience with MMP... not here to threaten or bash anyone, only speaking facts so no one else has to go through what I did. Originally purchased a built motor from MMP May of last year. Was supposed to take around 2-3 months. So ok that's fine. Get a message from MMP with pictures of the closed deck insert that got screwed up in August and I was quite shocked cause I've never seen anyone mess up a closed deck insert. They wanted to "weld repair" that issue but I said to use a different core just to be safe. I finally receive my engine October 10, have it all professionally installed at a local shop here in Nashville. I enjoy the car for 2 months, and on December 11 , while wiring up a wideband gauge, we discovered my leaking head gasket. I was extremely shocked to see the greenish fluid that was dripping down the side of my block. I get into contact with MMP and he told me he would personally fly to Nashville to do the work, replace head gasket, after the holidays. I let the car sit and a few weeks later get a message saying "you need to send the car to Texas, i can't work on it there. I was pretty furious at this but had no choice. We agreed on a 50-50 split for the shipping cost, and I ended up paying $350. I put the car on a trailer January 2nd. He claims the car was scheduled to get there Monday, but my dashcam video shows them unloading the car on a Sunday, so ok didn't mention that, just went along with it. Get a picture of my car on January 7th in the shop, also received pictures of the head off the car the same night. The issue was the head gasket, didn't seal right, which I'm assuming is because the block wasn't machined correctly. January 8 they start reassembly, putting head back on and everything else back together. I went back and watched some of the dashcam footage to also see the mechanics unnecessarily revving the car, one of them being when it just came off the trailer and the engine was still cold... January 9th get a message saying there is a ticking noise and they used a stethoscope to pin point where the noise is coming from. They said it was my trans/torque converter area and I was also warned my transmission was very jerky, which is normal because it is built. MMP tells me the ticking noise was there when they started the car on the trailer, which is a lie because you can hear the car and it sounds completely normal. After the head gasket is put on and the car is put back together, you can very clearly hear the ticking as the car was left to idle. The following Friday I get a picture of the car on the trailer. I was excited to have the car back but was also anxious to figure out the ticking noise. The next Monday I get the car back and hear the ticking and IMMEDIATELY knew that sound was not there when the car left. It sounded like a suppressed rod knock. MMP claims it was my transmission and that it needed to be dropped so, with my car at the shop and hundreds of dollars wasted, we dropped the trans and let the car run but the car was still TICKING. I was extremely furious at the point knowing I just wasted money to drop something that had no issues. We use a stethoscope and the noise is coming from the rear of the motor, particularly cylinder 5-6. We pull the oil filter and there was metal shavings in the filter and I knew immediately my issue was rod bearings. It should of been MMP's responsibility to drop the oil pan and check the bearings before the car came back, but no that was too much work for them. Now i will have to pay out of pocket to have this issue fixed as my car is for sure no longer going to be touched by MMP. I just hope people can learn from my mistake and actually research before they spend big money on built motors. If anyone is looking for a built motor, I highly suggest Ali Barakat, Billiam Mason, or Ghassan Alneama.

Last edited:

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
I would like to hear mmp side of the story before making a conclusion. These things typically have 2 sides

Rcboosted2007

Lieutenant
Jan 28, 2018
Parts unknown
Ride
07 335i
Lmfao!!! 2-3 shipped out weekly 2-3 month lead time per motor. They must have a large volume of engine rebuilds simultaneously going down. This is peanuts for them. Surely they can comp all the cost at this point, based off the monthly accounts receivables.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
While this is true, and I would also like to hear MMPs side, I cant help but feel biased as I have been lied to by MMP as well as others when their pi kit first launched. Nothing but headaches and lies.

MMP didn't have much to say besides "warranty is still in effect it's on the customer if they decide to not use it". And that was Eugene, Mauricio still hasn't responded.

Me personally I would never let them touch the car again after seeing techs abuse the motor on camera then lie about the cause of the ticking noise.

The whole post is in BMW 335i Mods for anyone in need of reading material.

Reactions: SlowE93

MMP

Private
Nov 10, 2016
Houston, Texas
regarding Nadem, Here's MMP side of the story. Nadem complained about several things from the get go after getting his engine back. He had said the engine was smoking, it turns out his 6466 single turbo doc race kit had a bad oil line and setup and that was causing the issue. He complained of a low RPM misfire that didn’t register any code or any issue in the DME, it turns out his transmission is a built trans and has a problem that bogs the car really bad at low rpm that he mistaken for a low rpm misfire. We advise him after driving the car that something may be wrong with the trans from how bad the trans drives and he should get it checked out. Several people have sent me logs Nadem shared in private chats where he logged many times the car running lean at high load and high rpm, also Nadem was afraid he had screwed then engine up and really wanted us to remove the pistons and inspect them and he told us he had ran the engine lean many times. It turns out the lean running was due to bad O2 sensors that fail many times on single turbos in the hot manifold environment. When changing out the O2 his shop sees the head gasket leak. I tell him to stop driving it and we will take care of repairs. Per our warranty policy the engine is required to be sent back for repairs. I offer as a customer service to him to ship the car back and we take care of all the labor including the installation work in the car, I offer to split transport costs with him 50/50 which we do. We fix the head gasket and confirm it was a gasket failure and no issue with any machining. He is aware of this but chooses to post whatever. We also notice that cylinders show some light scuffing from piston contact. We dial bore measure and confirm .0045” piston clearance and perfectly round. Block was originally honed with torque plate and roundness confirmed and reconfirmed when we replaced the head gasket. Also block surface was decked and head decked to a very fine Ra finish per MLS gasket standards. We confirm with flatness tools that head is straight and finish is perfect as when we put it together, only gasket was the issue. The .0045” piston clearance is perfectly within the JE spec (.004” minimum they specific for this piston so we give a little more to avoid any issues) so we contact JE and send them pics to see what they say. I believe what happened was that when Nadem ran the engine lean the pistons grew too much in the bore from overheating the pistons due to lean running them and had some light contact in the cylinder right at the widest part of the piston skirt. JE saw a bunch of carbon build up on the top of the piston and said it wasn’t normal for a 5000 mi engine and said what they believe happened is that the tune was running too rich at some point creating all that carbon build up and using e85 was washing the oil off the cylinder walls and piston was not riding on film of oil and contacted the walls causing the light scuffing. I was also told from others Nadem shred info with that he instructed his tuner to richen his tune to cool cylinders off more as well. They said also it could be the lean running of the engine causing piston to grow too much for the clearance and confirmed the clearance we measured was perfect for that engine. So two possible scenarios for what brought about the light scuffing. We inform Nadem of findings with JE and he opts not to repair it and just says he will run it until it fails. He said he had just run a compression test and all compression numbers looked good. We hear the ticking noise when we assemble the engine and investigate it with a stethoscope, we clearly hear the noise coming from the torque converter area. We let Nadem know and he is aware, then we agree to ship the car back. We also point out many other problems with his car including stripped bolts on the single turbo from previous install that need to be replaced, a rigged up return line install with unions and multiple leak points that needs to be replaced, Oil cooler lines to oil aftermarket oil cooler that need to be replaced as they can fail and leak all trans oil out and also his frame around passenger shock tower beat in a 7" diameter circle about 3" in to clear his single turbo kit install. He is aware of all the issues we point out. We ship the car back. He drops the trans and converter and still hears the ticking noise. We said if he ships the car back, we would take it apart and fix any issues and pay for shipping back. We also tell him if we take apart and nothing is wrong then he will have to pay for our time, but if there is something wrong then we cover it all. After that he went quiet and made the post so he opted to do something else.

• Dumb
Reactions: fredcase

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
As I stated earlier there are always 2 sides. Name me one builder who hasn't had this situation occur ? All venders will have a bad experience here and there . He ran the thing lean. then rich. Is there pictures showing damage to the rod bearings? As far as revving the motor cold is there proof of this other than the person saying their cam caught this. Is the cam pointed at the tach? Alot of unknowns on both sides.
It's also suspicious that the person posting that the ra finish wasn't right is a competitor of mmp as far as building engines go. Look at the Facebook groups. Tons of people that don't know a thing about cars crying they blew up the car but in reality it a Cascade of events the owner did that led up to the problem. I will say that the head gasket issue is weird but that could have been a bad gasket the tech failed to catch on install. Still no excuse for that but who knows the motor could have also been overheated.