MMP Stage 3 Cast Manifolds?

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
We can agree to disagree. The turbos with the manifolds are priced $500 higher than the regular stage 3s. If he sold the manifolds for $500, we can presume the margin is kept in tact, and it's also less labor - simply ship them out. No one was asking for a discount or reduced price on anything - only the ABILITY to purchase them. Also, I've said before, I'm fine waiting. This comes down to who gets served first - the potential customer that is waiting for those turbos, or the existing customer waiting for them. The problem is that as a business owner, I'm sure MMP knows you get the potentials while you can, as the existing will likely remain existing customers. We're a captive audience - we'll surely still buy them when they come out - the potential customer may decide to get something else altogether. I TOTALLY understand that from a business perspective, I just think it would have been nice had the very few people that had been waiting a very long time had been able to get them.

keep in mind the profit margin on the turbos themself and even if the ratio of profit is the same they overall get way more gross sales buy selling sets of turbos and then all the add ons (ceramic coating, inlets, outlets, etcc) essentially they make a lot, lot more money buy selling the manifolds as a set of turbos. and I hear ya it would be nice but so would a lot of things in life lol

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I don't see how that could happen. We already have $2000 hybrid twins that can make 600+ WHP. I'm sure there is some margin that could be cut from that even. Isn't On3 the cheapest single available right now? Its around 3K with a china turbo. I know making everything in China cuts prices, but do you really think you'll see a 2K or less Single turbo setup ever?

Depending on how this metal tariff goes, we may see prices on EVERYTHING go up.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I don't see how that could happen. We already have $2000 hybrid twins that can make 600+ WHP. I'm sure there is some margin that could be cut from that even. Isn't On3 the cheapest single available right now? Its around 3K with a china turbo. I know making everything in China cuts prices, but do you really think you'll see a 2K or less Single turbo setup ever?

Depending on how this metal tariff goes, we may see prices on EVERYTHING go up.
Okay fine, 700whp+ range. Also to go from stock to 600whp is more than 2k, there are a lot of supporting mods you're skipping. Single turbo kits are more inclusive.
Inlets-intake/outlets/downpipes- what else?

Also, this would be with a 'real' turbo like a precision, etc with a power ceiling far higher.

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Should run a turbo with at least 20% headroom. Folks burning $2k twins down maxing them out aren't going to get the best longevity. Same goes for any kit really.

I think we'll see some reasonably priced high quality single kits soon with the cast manifolds coming out. But sub $2000? I don't see it. A quality big single is like $1700.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Should run a turbo with at least 20% headroom. Folks burning $2k twins down maxing them out aren't going to get the best longevity. Same goes for any kit really.

I think we'll see some reasonably priced high quality single kits soon with the cast manifolds coming out. But sub $2000? I don't see it. A quality big single is like $1700.
Not sub 2k. But again, what twin turbos do 700whp or greater for under 2k?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Not sub 2k. But again, what twin turbos do 700whp or greater for under 2k?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the 700whp zip code we're typically talking motors getting built, right? If so they we are in a whole other cost bracket. It seems like 600-650whp is the well-tuned, stock motor with some longevity target. I was set on twins for my Z4 but now I'm having second thoughts (single options are opening up) ... to me a well-tuned 600whp car, stock motor, that can do 100k in longevity if driven reasonably. That seems like the general zip code from which to measure. But if I have that wrong, I'm interested in hearing differing opinions.

Filippo

Red90

Private
Feb 7, 2018
Ride
E90 335i
I'm waiting for one of these three , Steedspeed, vvt,or 4N. To release there twin scroll bottom mount kit. going single will get rid of some of the low end torque witch will be easier on the motor and less wheel spines.

Reactions: doublespaces
Dec 27, 2016
Ride
2010 e90 335i
I'm waiting for one of these three , Steedspeed, vvt,or 4N. To release there twin scroll bottom mount kit. going single will get rid of some of the low end torque witch will be easier on the motor and less wheel spines.

Or adjust the tune on your car? Do think a single turbo produces no torque? Lol

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Boost ramping on hybrids is a thing. Super annoying to drive with linear throttle mapping but it helps save your stock motor from going boom.

Reactions: Red90

EconIsLyfe

May 17, 2018
Ride
2008 335i 6MT
I've got a pair of Mauricio's 1k's w/manifolds getting installed in a couple weeks along with inlets, outlets, DPs, CP, and FMIC.

Stoked.