MMP stock block 1/2 Mile Record?

Terry@BMS

Sergeant
Platinum Vendor
Jan 23, 2017
For standing half mile measurements, I see no issue with that, if this isn't how the standing 1/2 is done now, I'd find that very odd. Rolling 1/2 mile has no standard currently and that is the main problem with it IMO.

That's the thing, rolling 1/2 mile traps should not be a thing. At least not for comparison on the internet. You can do rolling 1/2 mile races to compare performance same day, same track, but those traps do not mean anything as far as "internet records" go IMHO.

Reactions: langsbr

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
That's the thing, rolling 1/2 mile traps should not be a thing. At least not for comparison on the internet. You can do rolling 1/2 mile races to compare performance same day, same track, but those traps do not mean anything as far as "internet records" go IMHO.

I had a long discussion about this before with someone. What exactly makes them meaningless? If you set the constraints and operate within those constraints, what makes this metric invalid other than your personal preference? Rolling 1/2 mile as it exists now...yes..largely meaningless, but I'm asking this question given the scenario of having the proper equipment and constraints I've laid out earlier.

Nascar races start from a roll, they aren't meaningless. I think it comes down to what is measurable. If it is measurable, then it can be compared, simple as that.

If someone has a closed mind as to what they consider acceptable, that is like trying to judge a square by its roundness. And please, do not reply with an answer which compares standing and rolling starts and how a rolling start is actually more than a half mile. They are clearly different and must be kept separate and it doesn't take a lot to understand that the rolling start only measures 1/2 mile from a starting fix speed or LESS. Just like how a standing start requires you begin at a fixed time, or AFTER.

I'm not suggesting that rolling starts are going to be taking over the world, clearly they aren't. But I don't see why they can't be a valid metric to compare if coordinated properly.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Also... "stock motor" as a disclaimer tends to reward the guy who doesn't really give two whoops in hell if the motor lasts more than one good pass. Which, now that I think about it, would probably still be us anyway. lol

As for rolling vs. standing; I see them as two different records. Just go as fast as you can at whatever event you enter. No biggie.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I think "stock motor" is too broad. If I replace the pistons and rods with stronger ones, that won't 'make' any more power. However, a ported head and cams will. In the scheme of records, if the motor has pistons and rods is not relevant to me, only interesting as a data point. Ported heads and cams? Definitely relevant as it totally changes the VE of the motor.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think "stock motor" is too broad. If I replace the pistons and rods with stronger ones, that won't 'make' any more power. However, a ported head and cams will. In the scheme of records, if the motor has pistons and rods is not relevant to me, only interesting as a data point. Ported heads and cams? Definitely relevant as it totally changes the VE of the motor.

If you replace the pistons and rods you can run more boost. All the little things aside, its not a sealed block which is a very clear cut definition. If your goal is to be on the top of some record chart, upgrading the pistons and rods and not turning the boost up would be ill advised.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
My point was merely that you won't change the VE of the motor - so the results are still comparable to a 'stock motor', in terms of hp per pound of boost for specific turbos. If you want to run 40psi on a stock bottom end, that's your choice, but the power should be in the vicinity of others that have done the same. With a ported head and cams, that's not the case.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Sure... but no one really cares about preserving VE... they care about not putting a rod through the side of the block. You're right though, changing rods and pistons isn't going to be a power adder.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
True, no one wants to blow up the motor. I'd agree they aren't "trying" to preserve PE, but merely that the cost/benefit ratio for those is way down on the list compared to simply putting a bigger turbo on, or turning up the boost. Yes, there comes a point diminishing returns and more lag, but for the vast majority of people on this platform, including the majority of those in the 750+ whp category, they're going to be running stock head and cams.

I think Tony has said in the past that he won't do any more testing on a stock motor. If he meant it would have rods and pistons, then I totally agree and understand. If he meant all testing would be done on his motor with cams and a ported head, then I'd say that all the fantastic numbers released from the different turbo setups are a great way to showcase what is 'possible but not probable' from them. It's possible to make those kind of power at those boost levels, sure, with another 7K+ in mods. But Tony himself admitted that people were bitching about missing out on a $19 sale difference. Keep telling yourselves that those same people aren't gonna be mad when they need $7K more worth of parts to get the results quoted.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Maybe years ago. Today, if you have a proper built motor and stick with a stock head, I'd question what the heck you're thinking. As to the pipe dreamers that want a zillion hp on a stock motor... first, me too. Secondly, she ain't gonna last. We could do a glory pull on a stock motor/stock head, get that ONE dyno chart out there then act surprised when N54's start giving up the ghost left and right. 600ish whp, plus or minus 50 or so on a stock motor is the sweet spot for feeling good, car runs with fairly solid reliability and has decent longevity.

Reactions: BQTuning and dyezak

all4bspinnin

Corporal
Jun 12, 2017
Ride
135i TT
My old 135i with its new owner went 156 in the 1/2 from a dead stop on 22psi/e40.

I had him turned down for safety. That car was easily a 160+ car on more boost.

MMP's, cutout, FBO, ambient thermal management intercooler and drag radials.