Motiv Flex Fuel Installation Guide

matreyia

Major
Apr 19, 2017
Ride
335i e93
I struggled to work out how to install the sensor and hose until I found that post and looked up the part on realoem. It would be nice if motiv had even a basic guide to point novices like me in the right direction

I think that folks who are doing stuff like this are so advanced that we forget there are beginners who have never taken off these mechanical parts. We just assume everyone knows basic parts anatomy.

E90TommyB

Private
Apr 9, 2018
Indiana
Ride
2007 E90 335i
How did you guys run the wire into the dome box? I put mine over the top and didn't close the lid all the way but idk if thats okay to do or not.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
I put a slit in the rubber grommet and pushed the wire in, before sealing the lid.

This is the recommended approach. I would also put the slit at the very bottom of the grommet. Making sure the lid is sealed and locked back up is very important.

• Agree
Reactions: Jeffman

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Hi @jyamona, I've installed my Flex fuel but the ethanol content is registering 0% with what should be E30 at a minimum and likely closer to E50.

The ECA voltage is reporting 1.36V. One thing I noticed is once I turn the ignition off, if I am still logging, the ECA voltage goes to 4.45V.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose the issue? I have a flexfuel "tweaked" tune, the flex fuel option in MHD, the sensor installed and connected, etc.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Hi @jyamona, I've installed my Flex fuel but the ethanol content is registering 0% with what should be E30 at a minimum and likely closer to E50.

The ECA voltage is reporting 1.36V. One thing I noticed is once I turn the ignition off, if I am still logging, the ECA voltage goes to 4.45V.

Is there anything I can do to diagnose the issue? I have a flexfuel "tweaked" tune, the flex fuel option in MHD, the sensor installed and connected, etc.

Hi, who did your tune? Sounds like it was not setup correctly and the FlexFuel logic was not added.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i

Seems to me the "tweaked" tune you have has not followed the proper flex fuel tune conversion process completely.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
New map from tuner, same result. Does anyone have a map that has been run thru it correctly that I can flash to confirm operation? All of my maps are just MHD files.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
New map from tuner, same result. Does anyone have a map that has been run thru it correctly that I can flash to confirm operation? All of my maps are just MHD files.

Do you have your "stock" bin? If so just drag and drop that on the FF tool exe and flash the bin that it spits out.

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
unfortunately I do not have stock bin. My car had Cobb on it when I got it and no AP. I had to flash to stock using MHD.

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
I experienced a crunching sound while installing the short Motiv Flex Fuel line. I’ve never used these kind of connectors before. I grabbed the male collar with thin vice grips and a wrench on the female side to tighten it and heard a crunching sound while tightening. Did I f something up?

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Knowing this thread existed would have been helpful

I experienced a crunching sound while installing the short Motiv Flex Fuel line. I’ve never used these kind of connectors before. I grabbed the male collar with thin vice grips and a wrench on the female side to tighten it and heard a crunching sound while tightening. Did I f something up?

They're aluminum fittings, Id guess it was some give with the vice grip and/or wrench since not using AN wrench. The best way to check is to connect battery, check for leaks, hit unlock on fob, check for leaks, flip start button on / off a couple of times (keep engine off), check for leaks. Once you're confident all misc. things are connected, fire it up and check for leaks. If all dry, then nothing I'd be concerned with