Motor Mounts of Choice Today

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
So nearing 50,000 miles on my car. I see some deals on motor mounts,like for example the RevShift with 25% off on Motormounts e90.figure now would be the time to buy a set,but have read mixed reviews on them in earlier posts this past year.whats everyone recommendation.My car is in Sig.,also is a street car but is babied,not driven in winter.trying to decide on the hardness also,so i come to you for some info from who has motormounts and whats the choice to get.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I have a couple thousand miles on the Revshift 80a (black PU). They are nicely made and work well. Some vibration increase (I'm 6MT with trans mounts from Rogue), but it's not enough for me to care. I could raise the idle a couple hundred RPM and eliminate it.

I would not be surprised if your BMW OE motor mounts are collapsed - my passenger side was down significantly.

Filippo

BOosted 335i

Sergeant
Jun 1, 2017
New Jersey
Ride
E90 BMW 335i
I have a couple thousand miles on the Revshift 80a (black PU). They are nicely made and work well. Some vibration increase (I'm 6MT with trans mounts from Rogue), but it's not enough for me to care. I could raise the idle a couple hundred RPM and eliminate it.

I would not be surprised if your BMW OE motor mounts are collapsed - my passenger side was down significantly.

Filippo
is there a way to tell if the stock motor mounts are shot?im running R.E. Trans Mounts,they are local to me,good group of guys and nice shop.Yeah i was thinking on trying the RevShift,they have the 80a & 95a.So the 80a is little stiffer then stock?Think that might be the choice ill go with,if your noticing some nvh with 80a then the 95a might be not to my liking then.
To anyone else running a set of RevShift 95a how does the car feel?

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Only way I know how is to pull the motor mount and measure. Mine were toast at 30k miles. It's not really an issue of stiffness - rubber trumps when it comes to muting vibration. The 80a are the best bet as far as Revshift is concerned. I personally would not go to 95a. When you get the Revshift mounts, I think you'll be impressed by how meaty they are. I did see my motor rise some with the installation - I worked with Revshift and determined it was a result of my existing mounts being compressed.

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
+1 on rev shift 80A mm and rogue tranny mounts. I honestly think they do slightly higher than stock as I had a clearance issue on my ST. My motor is sitting higher but I had POS 034 motor mounts in there so I can't say for sure. Fucking junk shit. F'd up my single turbo install. Do not buy. F 034 motor mounts and ECS/Turner refusing my refund, and I'm and idiot going with them because a vendor reviewed them and I thought they were an upgrade.

NVH is minimal for me. But I may have a higher level of tolerance for such things. The more you mod a car from stock the less stock like it will be. I feel these go hand in hand.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I know Tony Vargas had height issues as well. I don't know if new, stock OE motor mounts compress to any significant amount when installed, and whether Revshift design was against new OE unloaded motor mount measurements. I had a thread related to my install.

If there is a clearance concern (like @Torgus with ST or my weird E89 with E90 front strut bar conversion) then ask around and I'm sure one of us will try to help determine if you are good to go. We thought about finding a way to lower the mounts, but at the end of the day, they work fairly well, are sturdy, and we have lots of bigger fish to fry!

In short, for me, I'm glad I have them.

Filippo

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
Yeah mildly worried my engine cover will no longer fit with these and the PR coils installed. Small fry.

Id ultimately rather the engine sit lower too for COG, but we're talking in fractions of an inch here.

• Agree
Reactions: fmorelli

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
The fix for me was just changing the top oil feed line so it was lower. Small money and easy fix at the end of the day. If anyone wants I can take a picture of my fix, very simple. I may have been able to get away with just a piece of rubber so the top of the metal line would not rub on the hood but I don't like worring and by the time my low oil light would have come on i would have sprayed at high pressure 5 quarts of oil into my engine bay. Not going to clean that shit up.

I would still reccomend the Revshift MM to anyone just note it may sit slightly higher. Not an issue for people with twins imo.

I thought VTT ran the 034? That is why I got them based on their review. What a mistake. Again, fucking junk. Cost me way too much time and money to fix. I'm amazed they have not updated their review or maybe they are one of the few who didn't have issues with 034. Seems like most have problems with them. When I get around to it I can post up a video of how janked they were after under 1000 miles with no WOT.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
I've been running the Black Forest Industry mounts (stage 2) 90A without any issues for a few years now. No noticeable increase in NVH. Love them!

Reactions: Torgus

alvinhobh

Private
Mar 8, 2018
Columbia, Maryland
Ride
2007 335i e92 6MT
Only way I know how is to pull the motor mount and measure. Mine were toast at 30k miles. It's not really an issue of stiffness - rubber trumps when it comes to muting vibration. The 80a are the best bet as far as Revshift is concerned. I personally would not go to 95a. When you get the Revshift mounts, I think you'll be impressed by how meaty they are. I did see my motor rise some with the installation - I worked with Revshift and determined it was a result of my existing mounts being compressed.

Filippo

I have my motor out of the car right now and doesn't hurt to check mine, what measurements should I be checking?

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Offhand, I think lots of BMW motor mounts have been fluid filled.

Filippo

Traf

Sergeant
Aug 3, 2017
Ride
135i
Wow, those are cheap - 175 shipped to the US. Looks like 60A as well, which might not be as harsh.
This is a great option for people in europe like me. Also it looks like it is using common shape bushings, could be servicable and upgradable.

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Glad to see people are having success with the Revshift mounts so far. They had just been announced when I was about to swap my engine mounts so I passed at the time due to some horror stories I'd heard about poly mounts on the N54 and my knowledge of how well the 034 ones worked, but it's nice knowing theres another solid option.
I've been running the Black Forest Industry mounts (stage 2) 90A without any issues for a few years now. No noticeable increase in NVH. Love them!
These seem to fly under the radar a lot, probably because BFI isn't very bit in the BMW market, but I was actually considering these at one point. They're one of the few I have never heard any complaints about, appear to have enough shielding to prevent damage on the hot side, and I know some other local Chicago people have ran them for a few years with no issues. For now I'll stick with my OEM mounts since they have <10k on them still, but I'll be interested in how all of these play out long term.