My DCT conversion to M3 GWS/FLASH

RSL

Lieutenant
Aug 11, 2017
I've managed to get a complete M3 drivetrain this past week for $1000. A diff and axles from a '13 with 30k miles and a driveshaft from a '13 with 13k miles. I'd like to save the $ and not have to change the ring and pinion but I think the 3.15 is just too low. It's my daily and only do 8k a yr and maybe one road trip but I do 1/2 mile events and it just doesn't calculate out well for that. I'm not sure if it's the 2.56 in Darrick's car with the M3 software causing his downshift hiccups or something else but I think a I'm going to do a 2.81 if I can find one (diffsonline is out) or 2.93 and split the difference. If Jake can get the final drive signal figured out, all the better.
Nice deal. If you're going to run the 2.56 for a little while first, please log and maybe let's try some changes in the tune or even a stock flash first? I haven't seen anything in the DME rom specific to a DKG. Ironically, the 16 bytes next to the MT FD ratio in INA0S works out to 2.558, but is something else. I haven't seen any FD ratio setting in the DME for ATs either. Doesn't mean it's not there, but guessing it will be something in the DSC and/or TCU bins for AT/DCT. If anyone can find it though, it will be Jake.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
This discussion regarding the diff ratio is my main concern with the retrofit. If there were no issues with downshifting, I'd have the install finished this weekend but as it stands it doesn't seem like something I will go forward with. Installing an M3 rear end into my car is not a consideration due to money and insane amount of work. :(

This community is beyond amazing with the support and documenting of projects like this. I really commend the effort.

Looking forward to any possible diff ratio solutions other than a full rear end swap! Jake!!!! :)

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
After about a hundred miles my shifts are butter smooth. Seems like there’s an adaptation table somewhere.

Oh shit. Really? So there are no issues at this point with the 2.56 and M3 GTS ZB?! :yum::yum::yum:

WELL THEN. I will also be attempting this install thanks to the incredible guide!

Last edited:

Stokes

Sergeant
Jan 26, 2018
Houston, TX
Ride
2011 BMW 135i
OMG this is awesome! Anyone able to confirm no up shift at redline in manual mode? Searching for M3 GWS right now.

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
The 2.56 diff...but I had a few odd up shifts today. Three times there was hesitation out of 3hrs if driving. It was just wierd.

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Let me throw this up here, it may save someone a little grief. Helping a guy with remote coding for the shifter swap, did VO changes, default CIC, KOMBI, JBBF, CAS, DSC, etc. and specific KOMBI and CIC coding. He was getting DSC related errors, start up assist warning on a MK60_87.C0F module. Looks like, at least in this instance, that C0F_GETRIEBE (transmission) defaults to wert_00 which is a manual and it needs to be wert_02 for DOPPEL_KUPPEL (DCT) and for good measure I disabled start up assist (not even a option in a M3 DSC module) C0F_HSA. Errors gone.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Let me throw this up here, it may save someone a little grief. Helping a guy with remote coding for the shifter swap, did VO changes, default CIC, KOMBI, JBBF, CAS, DSC, etc. and specific KOMBI and CIC coding. He was getting DSC related errors, start up assist warning on a MK60_87.C0F module. Looks like, at least in this instance, that C0F_GETRIEBE (transmission) defaults to wert_00 which is a manual and it needs to be wert_02 for DOPPEL_KUPPEL (DCT) and for good measure I disabled start up assist (not even a option in a M3 DSC module) C0F_HSA. Errors gone.

Input like this is invaluable for compiling comprehensive guides later on. Usually this information gets horded and forgotten.

Reactions: LMB335is

LMB335is

Sergeant
Apr 12, 2017
FOB FL
Ride
13 335is
Forgot to ask, did the CIC MDrive coding work? Haven’t seen anyone make it work yet... :(
Not that I know of. I'm trying to get some module dumps right now. And I've found a lot of M specific values in Dummy for various parameters that may or may not play into it. Dropping off my driveshaft tomorrow to get shortened.

Reactions: aus335iguy

aus335iguy

Colonel
Nov 18, 2017
Down under
Ride
335i DCT 2009
Feel free to add screenshots to the MDrive thread

I wonder why some modules will just take the correct modules from VO and others don’t. The only thing I can think of is that they actually need ZBs that are m specific... maybe that’s it ?
I still think that M drive settings get stored in JB FRM or CIC