My official China TD04 16T eBay turbos

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
I hope more people try and vet these less expensive options.

25% sales tax? Jesus. How can you buy anything? I can only imagine the income tax. Get you coming and going they do.

But it ADDS so much VALUE! LOL

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Wow, lots of posts, lots of shitposts.. :)

OK, so lots of you guys recommend other brands that cost "just a bit more". We're talking $ 900 vs $ 2500 or more (+ core charge and all extras). Oh, and then comes shipping and 25% sales tax. By the way, as I live in Norway, the US warranty is not worth more than the Asian warranty as getting a replacement will be just as much trouble both ways.

Of course I'd like a reliable car, but I'm not sure if the eBay turbos will be less reliable anyway. Maybe I'll try them, maybe not.
Actually ... as one of the guys that spoke on this ... I pointed out that name brand guys are $2k all day long and that the warranty Toimoka or whatever they were called in the prior post (a Chinese turbo with a warranty) were the same money.

BTW you don't want to rely on the warranty because you are screwed if you have to do all that work twice, along with the downtime, and the shipping costs. You want the stuff to go in and just work. Or at least, that's what I would want. In that regard, known track record trumps. Especially if paying shipping from to Norway or shipping back - I imagine that's not cheap.

Filippo

• Agree
Reactions: ShocknAwe

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
I hope more people try and vet these less expensive options.

Got a guy who called a month or so back, actually bought a set of these as OEM replacement Chinaframes. They were rebranded by Dorman which is actually a fairly good name in "American" Auto parts, but he burnt though 2 sets in less than 6 months.

These units ended up being about $250 cheaper than our RB OEM's, which to date have yet to see any issue (2 years @ ~200 sets sold). He was talking about cutting the losses and ordering a setup from us, however never did possibly due to timeline issues. Anyway perhaps a fluke deal, but a sample nonetheless.

Rob

• Informative
Reactions: Torgus

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Actually ... as one of the guys that spoke on this ... I pointed out that name brand guys are $2k all day long and that the warranty Toimoka or whatever they were called in the prior post (a Chinese turbo with a warranty) were the same money.

BTW you don't want to rely on the warranty because you are screwed if you have to do all that work twice, along with the downtime, and the shipping costs. You want the stuff to go in and just work. Or at least, that's what I would want. In that regard, known track record trumps. Especially if paying shipping from to Norway or shipping back - I imagine that's not cheap.

Filippo
I think that's my post you're referring to - the reason I even rec'd the tomioka is because I was told they *aren't* Chinese built, but are built in another Asian country thus keeping the cost down. I didn't realize OP was not from the US, and my rec was based mostly on the shoo probably wanting to keep a decent reputation and either making the warranty work (which yes is still a pain in the ass when you factor in labor) or eating the cost and replacing them themselves.

However as usual, I agree with you in every other regard Filippo, and I for one am happy I spent the extra money on turbos known as being reliable with a company who has good customer service. Having to do the labor multiple times was definitely on my mind, but more so than the cost, I don't like not having my car around for days at a time - whether I'm driving it or not lol.

Edit: I do hope some of these cheap Chinese turbo options work out for some people, but however way you look at it, I think this is always going to be a concern :
Screenshot_20181003-154713.png

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
Holy crap, you actually paid to send them back to China? I believe it is an ebay rule that returns must have a US address. If they try to get you to return them to China, you can decline and if they refuse to give you a US address, ebay will refund your money. Or they can pay to have them shipped back to china. It's much cheaper for them to give you the product than have them pay to return them to china. They probably have less than 100 bucks in a full set.

Rob@RBTurbo

Lieutenant
Dec 7, 2016
St. Louis, MO USA
www.rbturbo.com
Ride
'08 335i, '14 M6, '15 Tundra
But the RB's are substantially behind in both spool and power from VTT's.

The power is questionable- at least if you take some stake away from mostly vendor provided dynos (most all of which provided in kill modes) and put more into real life drag racing results (to date).

As for spool we highly doubt the spool and/or response of any other offering is superior in anyway over our offerings.

We have numerous N54 offerings and they are all different in their own ways but ultimately they are built for a reliable power objective along with optimum spool, this all comes down to physics and we pride our work on appropriately matching wheel sets to achieve this as best as possible.

Rob

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
fmorelli said:
How much experience do you have with no name chinese turbos? Yeah. Stupid question.
I guess it's a stupid question to you if you don't have experience with no name parts. There is some weird mental thing with the import and euro crowd where a lot of guys are just total brand name loyalists. Most have no experience with any of it whatsoever, but they know a brand name, so that's all they want. These same people are the ones most likely to forego proper tuning of the combo. Hard parts don't mean jack if it isn't tuned properly.
It's funny isn't it? You asked me a question. I turn the question back to you ... and YOU don't answer your own question. So what are you saying - I don't know shit, and neither do you, but you're going to school me? Hahahahaha ... wow.

Yeah right about now I look like a prick, but I'm not the guy being taken to task am I? Oh wait. I am! Gee no surprise to the response then, eh? I'll hand the shovel back now.
The reason most off brand or no name parts have a bad rep is because the people that usually buy them are those that can't afford anything anyways, so they half ass it all, and shit doesn't work right. They are also the ones most likely to DIY things when they have no comprehension of it, and things don't work right.
Clearly from your many years of fixing turbo installs from people like this, right? Sorry, I'm still working with your original question of experience as basis for having an opinion.

I have a bunch of experience with Chinese and Taiwanese products in general. That includes having products not only manufactured in China, but also reselling them and having to stand behind them.

One buys from RB, VTT, and others because it's a f'ing $2k+ expense with a $1k install job, with another $1-2k+ remove, ship and re-install if something goes wrong. Not to mention downtime. THAT is why one buy from someone who's reputation is behind it - at least that one knows they cares about their reputation in that regard, who sells the stuff for a living and has a dog in the hunt and it's just not one's own ass two sheets to the wind, blowing Benjamins out one's tailpipe..

As I've said before - someone wants to take a flier ... I totally get that. Recommending people buy turbos from random Chinese sellers - not sage advice. This reminds me of the story as to why the poor are poor - if one cannot afford to pay for known-to-be-reliable turbos, then one certainly can't afford to get screwed by bad turbos.

Filippo

Last edited:

langsbr

Captain
Apr 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i 6MT e90
It's funny isn't it? You asked me a question. I turn the question back to you ... and YOU don't answer your own question. So what are you saying - I don't know shit, and neither do you, but you're going to school me? Hahahahaha ... wow.

Yeah right about now I look like a prick, but I'm not the guy being taken to task am I? Oh wait. I am! Gee no surprise to the response then, eh? I'll hand the shovel back now.

Wow, I don't know if the issue is just that tone cannot be gleaned from text, but it seems like I got under your skin. I didn't understand why you would say that my question was stupid, but I guess it was to you. I was asking a legitimate question, not a rhetorical one, and had no intention of taking you to task.

My reply regarding brand name loyalists wasn't directed to you specifically, but more in general to those that are afraid of anything that doesn't have a major advertising campaign.

Perhaps you are being funny, but I'd say, yeah, you are looking like a prick, but it could be that tone can't be read. I really didn't mean to get under your skin so bad.

Clearly from your many years of fixing turbo installs from people like this, right? Sorry, I'm still working with your original question of experience as basis for having an opinion.

I have a bunch of experience with Chinese and Taiwanese products in general. That includes having products not only manufactured in China, but also reselling them and having to stand behind them.

One buys from RB, VTT, and others because it's a f'ing $2k+ expense with a $1k install job, with another $1-2k+ remove, ship and re-install if something goes wrong. Not to mention downtime. THAT is why one buy from someone who's reputation is behind it - at least that one knows they cares about their reputation in that regard, who sells the stuff for a living and has a dog in the hunt and it's just not one's own ass two sheets to the wind, blowing Benjamins out one's tailpipe..

As I've said before - someone wants to take a flier ... I totally get that. Recommending people buy turbos from random Chinese sellers - not sage advice. This reminds me of the story as to why the poor are poor - if one cannot afford to pay for known-to-be-reliable turbos, then one certainly can't afford to get screwed by bad turbos.

I totally understand why people buy from major vendors - I bought from MMP for many reasons, with warranty being one. I did a DIY install, so labor wasn't an issue, and while re-doing things would suck for sure, from my perspective, at the time there really wasn't this influx of hybrids from China. Had there been, as well as some results and not just having it be guesswork as to what kind of power they are capable of, I may have made a different decision.

I'll be honest - had RB done better advertising and communicating of their products, I may have even chosen them. At the time though, their webpage didn't have much info, and I definitely don't recall the TD03 and TD04 differences. You still can't get any info on what Pure uses, and VTT's GCs were a good bit more expensive than MMP for a TD04 CHRA.

We can agree on the premise of "one that cannot afford to pay for known to be reliable turbos", but with this platform, you could argue that EVERY vendor has had their fair share of issues in the past or recently.

Again, my apologies if my initial post came off wrong. I usually enjoy your posts and think you're a great contributor, and I was really trying to have a legitimate conversation. Anywho, back to shitposts in this thread!

Reactions: fmorelli

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
I agree that Rob's website could be a lot better but anyone who has been around this platform for long enough knows that those RB turbos have been in the 10's for a long time. Before inlets/outlets, before we had MHD and good tuning options, etc.

The problem is that these cars back then were actually expensive to buy, $20-30k used. Now that they are in the $10k range it has opened them up to the younger generation that just wants it because it's turbo y0. Unfortunately these people fall victim to marketing of "1000 hp turbos" and "fuck engineering, just make it bigger".

For all the "advancements" we have had in the last 5 years you would think that cars would be light years ahead of what the 15T RB turbos did but aside from a few full on race cars they really haven't made much progress.

Vdkk

Private
Sep 3, 2018
Ride
335 e92
The strategy works both ways. "You tell us how to build them for you and we will". Later find out "We will also build "same way" and sell the on Alibaba/Ebay". Not new to this business and been doing it since 2004... trust me this is the way it works.

Just to note if anyone plans on buying these throwaways that has a 1, 5, Z, or RHD series N54 let us know and we will buy your Authentic cores outright. We have no interest in LHD 335 cores, sorry but don't ask.

Rob
Still buying cores bro?
I've got like 3 sets of OE Turbos that are actually all completely fine and where removed for upgrades.

Reactions: 135i.joshly