My official China TD04 16T eBay turbos

dreptroman

Lurker
Feb 2, 2019
Ride
E93 335i N54
Hey guys. Got the new turbos and am vsr balancing. I want to get the new oil return lines. Can you help finding the part no? Are these the oil drain lines?

D

Deleted member 2204

These 4 lines (2x in, 2x out) are the only lines related to oil supply to the turbo's so yes i assume you mean that.

dreptroman

Lurker
Feb 2, 2019
Ride
E93 335i N54
So I m reporting back. Just spent 300 euros to have them checked and balanced.

I got the 17T this time and the cost was partially because "they needed a special adapter for td04L" that they needed to get fabricated in order to fit them on the machine. Having no other option I have agreed to go ahead and test.

They claim the new turbos were in order and that they needed no further balancing. The balance test sheet on turbo technics machine however provides a different curve that the one on the sheet in the box.

They say that for sure what was in the box is not a real balance sheet for these turbos but some random generic print, but they confirmed they are within specs and need no other balancing.

They also said not changing the oil lines is a fatal mistake because what sets in the lines is not removable by pressure nor by ultrasound. This residue (calamine - not sure what is called in english) cannot be cleaned.

Now I am waiting for all the remaining oil lines as I misunderstood only return lines were necessary, but no. all 4.

I will see what the paypal dispute outcome will be on the old ones and if unsucesfull I will tear them apart and get analyzed...

I am now trying to figure out what these 17T have going more that 16T and what psi levels would they hold. I am also exploring into JB4 instead of the custom tune just because I have one lying around (maybe not the best ideea).

Hope I install by the end of the week

Seb335i

Corporal
Jun 14, 2019
Ride
BMW 335i E93 DKG
So I m reporting back. Just spent 300 euros to have them checked and balanced.

I got the 17T this time and the cost was partially because "they needed a special adapter for td04L" that they needed to get fabricated in order to fit them on the machine. Having no other option I have agreed to go ahead and test.

They claim the new turbos were in order and that they needed no further balancing. The balance test sheet on turbo technics machine however provides a different curve that the one on the sheet in the box.

They say that for sure what was in the box is not a real balance sheet for these turbos but some random generic print, but they confirmed they are within specs and need no other balancing.

They also said not changing the oil lines is a fatal mistake because what sets in the lines is not removable by pressure nor by ultrasound. This residue (calamine - not sure what is called in english) cannot be cleaned.

Now I am waiting for all the remaining oil lines as I misunderstood only return lines were necessary, but no. all 4.

I will see what the paypal dispute outcome will be on the old ones and if unsucesfull I will tear them apart and get analyzed...

I am now trying to figure out what these 17T have going more that 16T and what psi levels would they hold. I am also exploring into JB4 instead of the custom tune just because I have one lying around (maybe not the best ideea).

Hope I install by the end of the week

I've a set from this seller and same result about the balancing. A friend of mine who worked for Renault Sport had a look on them today and the balancing was fine on both turbo.

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm all for more info, but a generic balance sheet that doesn't reflect your actual turbos is worth less than nothing for those that believe they're getting something they may not be and hints at something more nefarious (i.e. not giving a single fuck). VTT persona aside (buy our stuff!) if you want to save yourself a lot of hassle DEFINITELY get these inspected and balanced before you throw them in.

And guys, make sure you boost leak the snot out of your car first. I'm no fan of anything that isn't VTT, but let 'em burn if they deserve to burn, not if you have some gaping hole they're trying to pressurize. Boost leaks will kill any turbo as it tries to pressurize the world. Tall order.

Stay positive!

Chris

vegasboy

Private
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2009 335i
This is great news about the balancing as I did not have mine checked. I just ran them as is. I really feel there is a turbo manufacturer here ,who I will not name, But fear mongers people into thinking these are all garbage and will not last, will blow up, are not balance etc...

With the value of these cars dropping more and more every month, it just doesn’t make sense to buy expensive brand name turbos. These are a great value.

Dreptroman you should really tear those apart for analysis. I would be interested if there is a rebuild kit for these. We need to be careful when we lump some all these China turbos together as there are multiple sellers using the China frame turbos. Not sure if these are all coming from the same factory or not. Mine came from the JDM parts shop eBay seller but look to be identical to a few other sellers.

Reactions: seb.apprenti

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I updated on another post but these turbos are still running great for me. No problems, no burning oil, and plenty of boost.
Any idea on the miles you've put on them?

Ever upgrade your fueling or still just DI only power levels?
Never saw a response to this question.
This is great news about the balancing as I did not have mine checked. I just ran them as is. I really feel there is a turbo manufacturer here ,who I will not name, But fear mongers people into thinking these are all garbage and will not last, will blow up, are not balance etc...
Fear mongering people? By turbo manufacturers, eh? I'm not a turbo manufacture. Here's my opinion of this commentary.

Fear mongering? Do you have any idea how many crap turbos have blown up, pissed people off, caused them to ditch owning these cars? You threw yours on, never had them balanced, and you got lucky. Hey, that's great. Why don't you tell everyone to not use condoms. It worked for you, once. Unbelievable. There is a whole movement to single on this platform ... because why?! All the problems with twins. No cause for concern here, though. Random chinese turbos got this waxed. Move on.
We need to be careful when we lump some all these China turbos together as there are multiple sellers using the China frame turbos. Not sure if these are all coming from the same factory or not. Mine came from the JDM parts shop eBay seller but look to be identical to a few other sellers.
So you have no idea where the good turbos are coming from, or even what is making them good, or balancing them properly, or doing QC properly. A random reselling vendor will always get the turbos from the same place? Oh don't lump all the eBay store fronts together. Oh wait, no. Fantasy: the chinese turbo reselling vendors are doing in-house balancing and QC with the latest tools. No wait: you recommend that hotel where you didn't use a condom and got lucky. Great. Fear mongering, eh?

It's nice to know that there could possibly be a lower cost twin turbo replacement alternative. Some of the feedback over time seems to be bearing out that this may be a far lower risk that it has been in the past. Specific information on who is making them, who and how are they being balanced, who is doing the QC, and how one verifies that a random eBay vendor is actually supplying THOSE turbos balanced and QC'd is key information that goes with spending several thousand dollars in turbos and installation costs. To call anything short of that fear mongering, given all the history around twins on this platform, is simply ridiculous in my opinion.

Filippo

D

Deleted member 2204

You might be right if you are talking about the older ebay/ali turbos from the past but this is the topic for the ispeedytech turbo's and nothing you say applies here. We have over 20 people in our whatsapp groups that run these turbo's. Some for 15k+ already with a very decent amount of boost. No issues thus far.

@dreptroman thanks a lot for your efforts. Keep us updated!

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
You might be right if you are talking about the older ebay/ali turbos from the past but this is the topic for the ispeedytech turbo's and nothing you say applies here.
I've been reading this thread since it started. It doesn't say "ispeedytech" in the title. The OP, which started the thread, never mentions ispeedytech in his original post, nor do I recall his ever mentioning ispeedytech in the thread. This thread is NOT focused on ispeedytech and so everything I say applies here.

That said, I am aware that there is a vendor that seems to be having good success with china frame turbos. That's great. But there is a crap ton of china frame turbo resellers selling ALL KINDS OF JUNK ... and there are lots of random people traipsing the Internet, that have no clue, and get screwed by cheap turbo purchases. The "fear mongering" is recycled reality.

I don't hate that there is a likely good, inexpensive alternative twin turbo setup. I think it's great. On the other hand, the altered reality being pushed here is incorrect. This is not a ispeedytech thread. But starting a thread specifically on those turbos would certainly make it so, and have a lot more clarity.

Filippo

vegasboy

Private
Mar 28, 2018
Ride
2009 335i
Then go ahead and run $4000 turbos or go single Filippo. The rest of us will sit here and wait for our value turbos to blow up. Your posts lately sound like your are in Tony and Rob’s back pocket.

Posts like this are the exact reason I hardly ever comment on this forum any more. Then people assume it’s because my turbos blew up, but in reality my turbos are fine I just hate dealing with the crap like you just posted! I Think it would be great to figure out which factory is making these and which sellers people should avoid. I’m not selling anything Filippo I’m just here giving my personal experience with my purchase and install of these turbos. If you go back I’m the original one who took the chance on these turbos before anyone knew anything, there were no reviews out there. I’m just here to give my experience, but thanks for the amazing comments and feed back.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
I was good until the fear mongering bullshit was said.

Filippo

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Fixed that for you...

Unfortunately most of the 'brand name' twins on this platform have had a less than a stellar reputation, as you know 1st hand. For a variety of reasons...

I really hope an affordable and reliable sub $1,500 solution comes to the market. Not everyone has the budget to drop 3-5k on a FI repower solution. That being said, until there are proven solutions I would be very wary because of the labor.

derekgates

Lieutenant
Feb 23, 2018
NW FL
derekgates.us
Ride
2011 335is
Sheesh this thread got drama filled.

Too many people have been burned on turbos for the N54 that it causes all kinds of lashing out. Big name turbo makers included.

I, too, have a depreciating car that is barely worth 3x the turbo costs to replace my smoking/non boosting turbos. I have been looking at Pure/VTT/RB and the costs are just insane. I'd rather let my 335is sit in the garage than spend $2.5+ on a gamble, even from known brands.

I was excited to read this thread and have the possibility of sub $1k turbos for my car. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32856448488.html looks like it is the ticket... but is the $1k worth the risk of them blowing up? Hmm.... That car might sit for longer...

But I'll be OK, I have a reliable BMW in the background to take over daily driving duties. :D :D

• Agree
Reactions: SSDD
Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Your posts lately sound like your are in Tony and Rob’s back pocket.

Let's not get crazy. Filippo and I have our differences but I've always appreciated his baseline approach and sensibilities. That said, he's about the furthest thing from our back pocket. Even if we wanted to...….. just think about that a sec. We are many things, but smooth enough to keep a level headed moderator in our back pocket for nefarious (there's that word again!) marketing purposes ain't one of them. :grinning: I'd grab a drink with him though for sure.

Maybe he's secretly on Rob's payroll though. :kissing:

Chris

• Funny
Reactions: fmorelli and SSDD

RuskiRacer

Captain
Jul 17, 2019
Ride
2009 e93 335i
@derekgates these are a better option already balanced, already proven and not not much more than you would be spending to be a guenia pig. In my opinion https://dynamicautowerx.com/shop?ol...hybrid-turbochargers-pure-vargas-rb-mmpQUOTE="derekgates, post: 80350, member: 2017"]
Sheesh this thread got drama filled.

Too many people have been burned on turbos for the N54 that it causes all kinds of lashing out. Big name turbo makers included.

I, too, have a depreciating car that is barely worth 3x the turbo costs to replace my smoking/non boosting turbos. I have been looking at Pure/VTT/RB and the costs are just insane. I'd rather let my 335is sit in the garage than spend $2.5+ on a gamble, even from known brands.

I was excited to read this thread and have the possibility of sub $1k turbos for my car. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32856448488.html looks like it is the ticket... but is the $1k worth the risk of them blowing up? Hmm.... That car might sit for longer...

View attachment 30513

But I'll be OK, I have a reliable BMW in the background to take over daily driving duties. :D :D
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Your posts lately sound like your are in Tony and Rob’s back pocket.
Let's not get crazy.
Pretty funny comment, since I own neither RB nor VTT turbos. In fact I took a flyer myself and went with someone else's newfangled turbos lol.

BTW, Chris, been meaning to talk to you and Rob about my 10% sales kickback. That back pocket needs to see some greenbacks!

Filippo