N54 6266 dyno at 809whp (796 SAE)

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
With a new fuel system, maintenance, other odds and ends taken care of I went back to the dyno and sent it again. Boost only on pump E85, no other power adders were used.

I believe this is a new horsepower record for the fairly common N54 6266 top mount setup.

20190322_203229_copy.jpg .. Dyno Uncorrected.PNG .. Dyno SAE.PNG

809 WHP / 755 WTQ (uncorrected)
796 WHP / 743 WTQ (SAE)

Tuned by me (@veer90). MHD flash / AIC standalone map / JB4 map 6

Mod list:
  • Doc Race turbo kit, Gen2 6266 DBB 1.00AR
  • NTK pre-turbo O2s, Innovate Motorsports venturi heat sinks
  • DIY stage 4 fuel system on pump E85 (tested at ~83%)
    • Walbro 450 + 525
    • BMP 750cc port injectors
    • Precision Raceworks FPR / return
    • 12psi hobbs, 6AN feed, etc etc.
  • R8 coils / NGK 97506 @ 0.025". Plugs indexed (gap facing intake) with shims
  • VRSF 7.5" IC and charge pipe
  • Motiv closed deck N54 short block (stock heads and cams)
  • Spec 3+ / smfw
Logs here, now with 100% less sketch AFRs than before :)

Tuning notes and observations:
  • Boost limit - for 8.7 psi wastegate springs seems to be about 33psi at redline with a 3 port MAC. Car couldn't hold 34.5 psi target above 5500 rpm. This depends on ambient temperature.
  • False knock fix - trim pots at 85k ohms + desensitize knock tables MHD check box combination is still sensitive to the condition of the plugs. Brand new plugs, no timing pulls. Old trashed plugs = timing pulls of 3-5* or more depending on boost.
  • MBT timing - was 15.5* timing at redline for my setup. Pulls at 15* and 16* put down less power.
  • Fuel system - could not be happier with it. Fuel pressure for dayssss
  • Bank 1 pre turbo O2 got a bit too hot, was reading false lean during the very end of one pull but was not damaged. Cleared codes and it worked normally on the drive home.
  • The spec 3+ slipped at 712 wtq last time and I'm making way more torque now. No clue how it's still holding together LOL
Much thanks to:
  • @V8bait Justin Hubenak @all4bspinnin David Shoup - really appreciate the tuning advice, patience, and knowledge sharing.
  • Top Secret USA - dyno time and perpetual encouragement to send it.
  • @PC Racing - LPFP and fuel system help.
  • @PRECISION RACEWORKS @BlackMarketParts - good products and very DIY friendly too, answered a lot of my questions on fuel system design.
  • VRSF - no hassle quality go fast parts
  • Motiv - built engine still alive and kicking
  • Friends, too many to list - huge thanks for all the DIY help, prep time, etc etc.

Last edited:

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Damn, someone should pull this onto the facebook group. Those guys were saying to use a 6766 for 800whp LOL, noobs.

Keep up the good work man, that graph is fantastic.

Reactions: veer90

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
Looking at the log I don't think you're really out of spring, it's just out of turbo. That's normal when you see WGDC just jump up.
If you slam the gate shut you might get another 40whp if you held the boost to redline.

HPFP is struggling, I would add more PI if you can in the mid range where trims max out. Any reason why you're not using the JB4 PI controller for fueling and safety? I assume you're making your own fuel maps for the AIC6?

Attachments

• 032319_1141.jpg
    032319_1141.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 938

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Looking at the log I don't think you're really out of spring, it's just out of turbo. That's normal when you see WGDC just jump up.
If you slam the gate shut you might get another 40whp if you held the boost to redline.

HPFP is struggling, I would add more PI if you can in the mid range where trims max out. Any reason why you're not using the JB4 PI controller for fueling and safety? I assume you're making your own fuel maps for the AIC6?

Yep I have my own AIC maps. JB4 PI controller is easy to tune but I like the AIC for finer control

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
also, how does one slam the gate shut?

sodapop pull tab Fast and Furious style? lmao

LOL, you'd basically need CO2 for that but looking at the log you might be able to put more in it.

From 5500rpm is where boost starts falling, so set duty bias somewhere 90-100 all the way from 5500-7k
I really don't suggest that ever, but you do have a built motor and seem to know what you're doing.

PS: Fix your sig :)

noorj

Corporal
Jul 12, 2017
Detroit, MI
Ride
'07 E90 335i
great numbers and nice tuning work! like Payam said, adding some PI fuel to 4500rpm/30-35psi area would help. You've got plenty of rail pressure there, so you could just add fuel scalar to bring the trims down. Did you play with vanos at all on the dyno at this power level?

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Ohhh... You gotta go back for the other 4HP! On the other hand you could be king of the 700 HP chart for a long time.

Believe me I tried. I think that's all shes got until I put a bigger turbo lol

great numbers and nice tuning work! like Payam said, adding some PI fuel to 4500rpm/30-35psi area would help. You've got plenty of rail pressure there, so you could just add fuel scalar to bring the trims down. Did you play with vanos at all on the dyno at this power level?

Yes tried a few VANOS changes none of which the car liked. It already spools plenty fast and clearly the top end is there so I'll just leave it.

Reactions: doublespaces

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
This is an impressive piece of work, the most of it being the perseverance to get here.

I wonder what your thoughts are about the stock head? It seems to me it is like a massive bottleneck in this quest? Have you given any thoughts to getting another head and porting, at a minimum?

Again, flat out impressive. Great work!

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Believe me I tried. I think that's all shes got until I put a bigger turbo lol

Yes tried a few VANOS changes none of which the car liked. It already spools plenty fast and clearly the top end is there so I'll just leave it.

This is when you unhook the exhaust

• Funny
Reactions: chrisdfv and veer90

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
This is an impressive piece of work, the most of it being the perseverance to get here.

I wonder what your thoughts are about the stock head? It seems to me it is like a massive bottleneck in this quest? Have you given any thoughts to getting another head and porting, at a minimum?

Again, flat out impressive. Great work!

Filippo

Thanks. my motor was built early 2017 there wasn't anyone at the time who I was comfortable dropping the $$$$ for a ported head.

Once I get some down time and decide who I want building it, it'll get done.

Reactions: fmorelli

tisdrew

Corporal
Jun 27, 2017
Ride
09 335i 6MT
Thanks. my motor was built early 2017 there wasn't anyone at the time who I was comfortable dropping the $$$$ for a ported head.

Once I get some down time and decide who I want building it, it'll get done.

Not exactly apples to apples, but Vargas had a built head (pnp, cams, valvetrain) on a built engine with his GCs and got around 40whp iirc. For ballpark $5k, I was let down. $2k PNP, $2k valvetrain, $1600 cams... Maybe a 35psi single turbo would make more but seems like the R&D hasn't figured out the head for the n54 -- or they have and there isn't as big of a limitation as was thought.

• Agree

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Not exactly apples to apples, but Vargas had a built head (pnp, cams, valvetrain) on a built engine with his GCs and got around 40whp iirc. For ballpark $5k, I was let down. $2k PNP, $2k valvetrain, $1600 cams... Maybe a 35psi single turbo would make more but seems like the R&D hasn't figured out the head for the n54 -- or they have and there isn't as big of a limitation as was thought.
The stock N54 head is a constraint, and it is relative to the amount of pressure/flow being put against it. Assuming a linear relationship, I suspect the example you gave with 40whp gain is not at 800whp. Figure the head benefit will be proportional to the power output (in loose terms).

I didn't understand why VTT (@Chris@VargasTurboTech) recent testing did a valve train with N54 port without cams. I would have assumed valvetrain would be done to support a higher lift cam scenario. I suspect Chris could elaborate. There is some discussion in the PDF but we don't have sufficient data to do a proper comparison (specifically Rebello ported head & valvetrain vs. with Schrick cams). Rebello alludes that there is more flow with bigger valves and more porting, and maybe another head will come along with information that bears out possible improvements. But that said the VTT/Rebello headwork sans cams is $3,800.

The other option is an N53 head from Omar (@Hydra Performance), though that is going to require a different exhaust manifold - not desirable in @veer90's configuration, I suspect. I do know the cost for the N53 head modified to bolt down to the N54 block cost less than above, but is stock valve train and cams as I understand it.

I would wonder if a ported N54 head with a stock valvetrain is worth considering - at what price point would it come in and would the trade-off have a benefit in certain applications @Chris@VargasTurboTech?

But at 800whp, I suspect one wants the cam lift with the Schrick setup, but that's pure speculation. This is probably a good example of where VTT/Rebello could do well to work with a higher output motor like the one on this thread, and see what's possible. I'm betting there is well more than 40whp being chocked by the stock head and valve train, given what we know about the stock head 165CFM, and valve train specs - simply, it was designed as part of a motor to emulate NA-like behavior with turbos: which is the antithesis of what @veer90 is doing :).

Filippo

Reactions: R.G. and veer90

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Awesome numbers. With a worked head and cams I wonder if you could touch 850whp? Still 5.5k before install it is pricey for those last H Ps. regardless that 6266 is putting in some serious work. 800whp is nothing to sneeze at.

Great work man. That car must surprise a lot of people.

Unless someone makes decent cams for the N53 head I don't see it ever becoming a normal swap for a high HP build. Just too much to change for potentially no or worse gains over a worked n54 head with cams, imo.

Last edited:

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Awesome numbers. With a worked head and cams I wonder if you could touch 850whp? Still 5.5k before install it is pricey for those last H Ps. regardless that 6266 is putting in some serious work. 800whp is nothing to sneeze at.

Great work man. That car must surprise a lot of people.

Unless someone makes decent cams for the N53 head I don't see it ever becoming a normal swap for a high HP build. Just too much to change for potentially no or worse gains over a worked n54 head with cams, imo.

For sure, people's reactions when I do a pull on the street are hilarious.

The 6266 is rated at 800, I don't think head porting will gain another 50 whp. It'll probably make equal or a hair more power just on less boost.

Reactions: seb.apprenti