N54 6266 dyno at 809whp (796 SAE)

chrisdfv

Corporal
Aug 29, 2017
Ride
E90 335i
At least you saw it lol. I thought about it and had to delete, not sure who would get offended nowadays :expressionless:

I get where you're coming from, no worries lol. I have my limiter set to 7200, but I always see videos posted of people reving out stock motors. I don't wanna find the limits tho.

Milan

Sergeant
Dec 24, 2016
jebi se
Ride
your mom
My engine is noisy. Most built engines are builders just don't admit it. Everyone seems to ignore the fact that knock sensor voltages, tables, etc. are calibrated for a stock, open deck motor running 93 making ~280whp. If you can get clean timing without altering factory knock tables, great. But sometimes it's needed for high power levels so the DME doesn't freak out.

I've had trim pots wired into the knock sensors for ~1.5 years now, DME still pulls timing when conditions require it to. This is hardware level desensitization, nothing was touched in the flash. Details here. https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=339464&postcount=1

I know of 3 other Motiv engines running the same setup.

I tune a lot of LS engines and once you add a cam and aftermarket valvetrain in the mix, especially with a loud exhaust, you almost have to desensitize the knock sensors to avoid the engine picking up on the many aftermarket parts.

I must have missed that you are built motor. Reading > me

• Informative
Reactions: veer90

Payam@BMS

Sergeant
Oct 27, 2016
I get where you're coming from, no worries lol. I have my limiter set to 7200, but I always see videos posted of people reving out stock motors. I don't wanna find the limits tho.

7500 rpm is the max I would go and that's only for if I really need to stretch the gear. Like hitting 180mph in 5th gear in a half mile ;)

Reactions: chrisdfv

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
The 6266 is rated at 800, I don't think head porting will gain another 50 whp. It'll probably make equal or a hair more power just on less boost.
That's an interesting point. Indulge me if you would. I get the turbo's A/R, power rating, are significant factors. But I suppose I'm a bit confused. If you can generate 800whp with that turbo, having to deal with all that restriction, how could the system not produce more wheel power if less of the energy was lost to inefficiency (heat, for example)? I would have concluded that, in spite of the rating, the 6266 can make more power in your configuration if you un-strangle it.

Like I said, indulge me. I get the turbo is flow limited (or rather has an optimum flow window). I guess maybe what I don't understand is based on my assumption that the system produces energy - there is energy that goes to the crank (we consider that efficient energy) and there is energy that is thrown off instead of going to the wheels. We measure the efficient energy in WHP. The rest of the energy is parasitic or other byproduct losses. So if we reduce that, don't we effectively increase the WHP given all other constants? Maybe I don't understand the fundamental relationship with VE to PSI? I get that boost "gooses" volumetric efficiency.

Obviously I'm missing something fundamental - as I said, indulge me ...

Filippo

Last edited:

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
For sure, people's reactions when I do a pull on the street are hilarious.

The 6266 is rated at 800, I don't think head porting will gain another 50 whp. It'll probably make equal or a hair more power just on less boost.

Would you consider putting a cam in? If the head work and cam only net you 6% more peak power there is your 50 whp ;) Granted that is a bad bang for your buck.

Are you going to go with a larger turbo or are you happy at 800whp?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
My engine is noisy. Most built engines are builders just don't admit it. Everyone seems to ignore the fact that knock sensor voltages, tables, etc. are calibrated for a stock, open deck motor running 93 making ~280whp. If you can get clean timing without altering factory knock tables, great. But sometimes it's needed for high power levels so the DME doesn't freak out.

I've had trim pots wired into the knock sensors for ~1.5 years now, DME still pulls timing when conditions require it to. This is hardware level desensitization, nothing was touched in the flash. Details here. https://www.n54tech.com/forums/showpost.php?p=339464&postcount=1

I know of 3 other Motiv engines running the same setup.

I'd be happy to work through the remaining knock tables (frequency, amplitude, windows, etc), logging params, and document how it all works. End result would be standalone levels of configuration of the knock detection system. However, as it is a very small end user market, it is not something MHD would likely fund. However, if enough built motor guys wanted to all pitch in, let me know.

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'd be happy to work through the remaining knock tables (frequency, amplitude, windows, etc), logging params, and document how it all works. End result would be standalone levels of configuration of the knock detection system. However, as it is a very small end user market, it is not something MHD would likely fund. However, if enough built motor guys wanted to all pitch in, let me know.

Put a funding goal and we can start a board sanctioned fund. Always down to progress this kind of stuff.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Would you consider putting a cam in? If the head work and cam only net you 6% more peak power there is your 50 whp ;) Granted that is a bad bang for your buck.

Are you going to go with a larger turbo or are you happy at 800whp?

Gonna send it till the 6266 blows then maybe EFR 9180, EFR black series, or bigger PTE. Depends on timeline really.

Any head work is going to be after I complete research, so I know exactly what I want and do it right the first time.

Czechmate

Lurker
Dec 11, 2018
San Francisco, CA
Ride
2008 335i Manual
This is great motivation and insight for my 6266 bottom mount set up. It gives me a clear idea of where I'll stand. How do you think you would have done with a less aggressive fueling set up given you had tons of pressure to work with?

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
This is great motivation and insight for my 6266 bottom mount set up. It gives me a clear idea of where I'll stand. How do you think you would have done with a less aggressive fueling set up given you had tons of pressure to work with?

http://datazap.me/u/veer90/dr-6266-786712-sae-775702-uncorrected?log=0&data=1-4

This is my previous dyno with a twin 450 stage 3 lpfp setup (both pumps bottlenecked by venturi pickup). MMP chinesium injectors hanging on for dear life at 100% duty cycle up top lol

That setup with some margin of safety is probably good for around 750 SAE. I made 786 SAE by maxing it out.

cookiesowns

Private
Nov 13, 2017
Ride
2010 535i ZHP6 + 2017 M2 6MT

Will this help Jake?

Attachments

• FR-N54.png
    FR-N54.png
    46.2 KB · Views: 168
  • n54-fr-2.png
    n54-fr-2.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 180