N54 crank hub issue - power level?

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
This is probably a question without a specific answer but at what power (or more likely torque) levels can the crank hub spinning become an issue?

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
Flippin heck. That's crazy. I thought only people on big power would be seeing the issue.

Maybe these are rare cases?

I've been running about 550 to 600 whp for close to 2 years. Sounds like it could go at any time :anguished:

i wouldn't say rare nor would i say it's an epidemic when it comes to the crank hubs spinning. It's merely a design/engineering flaw that by the nature of the design is something that can definitely happen at any time.

However, i personally have not done research on this specific question, as i never had the urge, but maybe someone knows. Is the N54, N55, S55 interference or non interference engines. i would assume non, since i have seen people spin crank hubs. and simply reset the timing and drive on. If they are non, then honestly, i can kinda understand why they designed it that way, however, still should have been a solid or keyed part at a minimum IMO

ShocknAwe

Captain
Jan 24, 2018
Charleston, SC
Ride
N54/3 1er ///Mutt
What I'm more curious about is how the fixes in development for this issue have been tested and proven to actually prevent this from happening.

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
i wouldn't say rare nor would i say it's an epidemic when it comes to the crank hubs spinning. It's merely a design/engineering flaw that by the nature of the design is something that can definitely happen at any time.

However, i personally have not done research on this specific question, as i never had the urge, but maybe someone knows. Is the N54, N55, S55 interference or non interference engines. i would assume non, since i have seen people spin crank hubs. and simply reset the timing and drive on. If they are non, then honestly, i can kinda understand why they designed it that way, however, still should have been a solid or keyed part at a minimum IMO

They are absolutely interference engines. Whether or not there's valve damage depends on how far the sprocket slips.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
What I'm more curious about is how the fixes in development for this issue have been tested and proven to actually prevent this from happening.

Basically it's a case of putting the fix on and then running various scenarios to see if it doesn't happen any more.
So high power runs at the drag strip. Like Maximum PSI or dyno and spirited drives like Tony at VTT have done.

From F8x forums it seems like hitting the kick down (on DCTs) is the most common cause of the hub slipping. Probably really jolts the motor and the chain. There's just a friction washer preventing the sprocket from slipping on the hub, as well as the hub screw holding everything in place which can back out.

MoreBoost

Sergeant
Jul 27, 2017
Ride
335i
I wonder if that's what appears like VANOS errors when some people's car's throw codes during WOT tests.
Also wonder if VANOS adapts should the chain manage to slip on the sprocket or is the slippage of a single tooth by the chain on the wheel catastrophic?

Reactions: Big Turbo N54

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i

It is an interference engine. the exhaust valves usually get the short end of the stick. if it slips a little you can get lucky but it can a slip so far off that it throws timing to the point something has to give. Mine ended up bending 6 exhaust valves.

kayzrx82

Corporal
Apr 4, 2018
Ride
n54 335i
Basically it's a case of putting the fix on and then running various scenarios to see if it doesn't happen any more.
So high power runs at the drag strip. Like Maximum PSI or dyno and spirited drives like Tony at VTT have done.

From F8x forums it seems like hitting the kick down (on DCTs) is the most common cause of the hub slipping. Probably really jolts the motor and the chain. There's just a friction washer preventing the sprocket from slipping on the hub, as well as the hub screw holding everything in place which can back out.[/QUOTE

I think its a combination of several things. Sudden inertial changes to whatever is being driven by the hub. Sudden deceleration of the crank while the cams , accessory drive and harmonic dampener want to keep spinning. Increased Harmonics from increased cylinder pressures. Increased load on the cam from increased cylinder pressure causing more load on the valve train. Ive heard some people say BMW did the crank hub this way as a fuse. I highly doubt that you can fuse a critical timed part like this and it makes no sense to fuse it. What could fusing this part possible save? I believe it was more for cost savings on the crank (faster and easier to machine) and faster and easier assembly by a robot at the factory. Its the stupidest thing to hope friction can keep the motor in time. It really needs to be keyed like the older BMW engines or machined into the crank like the s65 and s85 .

Optigrab

Corporal
Sep 19, 2018
Ride
08 135i
I wonder if that's what appears like VANOS errors when some people's car's throw codes during WOT tests.
Also wonder if VANOS adapts should the chain manage to slip on the sprocket or is the slippage of a single tooth by the chain on the wheel catastrophic?

This is an error listed for MSD80

Diagnosis of mechanical chain jump
P0016, P0017
The diagnosis is performed after the reference position adaptation. The learned position of each camshaft signal edge is stored in the non volatile RAM of the ECU as an adaptation value. Before storing the value, the new adapted value is compared with the stored value. If the deviation exceeds a max value, the error CAMχoneχtoothχoff is delivered to the error management and the new value is not stored in RAM. With this diagnosis a chain jump of the timing chain is detected.

• Agree
Reactions: kayzrx82

Twisted Tuning

Lieutenant
Platinum Vendor
Oct 25, 2016
New York
www.twistedtuning.com
Ride
N54 and N55 Cars
They are absolutely interference engines. Whether or not there's valve damage depends on how far the sprocket slips.

It is an interference engine. the exhaust valves usually get the short end of the stick. if it slips a little you can get lucky but it can a slip so far off that it throws timing to the point something has to give. Mine ended up bending 6 exhaust valves.

Thanks for the info. Then that makes the crank hub design that much worse, lol. SMDH

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
Is this something that is more likely on higher mileage or is it kinda like s55 where after certain point your chances of survival increase lol. Like is it more of inconsistent holding power of grip disk on a case by case or does it just fatigue and go over time. Trying to decide If I will never go over 600 if I should do capture , something more , or leave it alone unless it ever gets touched.