N54 Full Build with Specs and Parts list

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
What car is yours I'm sure I've seen it.. I've been there since 2004!

No matter how easy always out the bottom lol..

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Inspect all the cylinder liners really good.. I have seen a handful of cracked liners.. If so the block is as good a scrap! Don't wanna see you go too far and be F'ed down the road!

Modifyit

Private
Nov 7, 2016
South Jersey
Ride
2009 335i
Inspect all the cylinder liners really good.. I have seen a handful of cracked liners.. If so the block is as good a scrap! Don't wanna see you go too far and be F'ed down the road!
Thank you for the Tip. Yes mines is a black 335i with a tablet mounted onto the dashboard. Thing had a ton of leaks

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Thank you for the Tip. Yes mines is a black 335i with a tablet mounted onto the dashboard. Thing had a ton of leaks
Yup I diagnosed that car about a month ago.. You came in as a waiter on a Friday I believe..really Bad oil filter housing gasket leak looked like it threw a belt once before and Kurt was your service advisor.. I wanna say you had a spec clutch in it as well..
I'm on the diag team there is 7 of us master techs out of the 38 techs we have that just diagnose cars all day Long it's all we do! Then the work moves on to production after we tell them what to do..

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
I've worked on hundreds of cars a month for the past 13-14 years and I always kinda remember every single one ;)

Modifyit

Private
Nov 7, 2016
South Jersey
Ride
2009 335i
Yup I diagnosed that car about a month ago.. You came in as a waiter on a Friday I believe..really Bad oil filter housing gasket leak looked like it threw a belt once before and Kurt was your service advisor.. I wanna say you had a spec clutch in it as well..
I'm on the diag team there is 7 of us master techs out of the 38 techs we have that just diagnose cars all day Long it's all we do! Then the work moves on to production after we tell them what to do..
Thats funny lol yea kurt is my advisor and yes i Have the twin disc installed. So i decided to pull my engine entirely and rebuild with all fresh parts so if i have any questions or need any Oem parts can I contact you?

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Thats funny lol yea kurt is my advisor and yes i Have the twin disc installed. So i decided to pull my engine entirely and rebuild with all fresh parts so if i have any questions or need any Oem parts can I contact you?
Yea shouldn't be a problem.. Questions not problem.. Parts I can't help much my discount is pathetic.. They literally give customers a better discount than employees I'm not joking

Modifyit

Private
Nov 7, 2016
South Jersey
Ride
2009 335i
Yea shouldn't be a problem.. Questions not problem.. Parts I can't help much my discount is pathetic.. They literally give customers a better discount than employees I'm not joking
Lol well it was worth a try. Parts for these cars can add up veru quickly! But hey knowledge is more than enough help for me. I will be needing the torque specs for the head bed plate and etc if thats not too much to ask for.

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
Lol well it was worth a try. Parts for these cars can add up veru quickly! But hey knowledge is more than enough help for me. I will be needing the torque specs for the head bed plate and etc if thats not too much to ask for.
Nope not at all.. Just shoot me the last 7 of your vin

Bmwfixerguy1

Lieutenant
Jun 5, 2017
Ride
07 335i MT
No problem. I printed out instructions with specs for cylinder head.. I'd follow the crank and bearing manufacturers specs for rods and bottom end

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
So...you just picked up a piston ring compressor today. Do you have all the N54 specific tooling to reassemble your block already?

Modifyit

Private
Nov 7, 2016
South Jersey
Ride
2009 335i
So...you just picked up a piston ring compressor today. Do you have all the N54 specific tooling to reassemble your block already?
Well for the most part I have it. I'll order them as I go of course. Decided to tackle it myself so I'm learning all the tools. Which ones do you know off?

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Well for the most part I have it. I'll order them as I go of course. Decided to tackle it myself so I'm learning all the tools. Which ones do you know off?

Ouch. Might want to brace yourself but the custom tools needed for the N5x series engines are pretty pricey. You're going to need the camshaft install tool (pricy $700-800) look at 3:30sec on this vid https://youtu.be/YktIgslaoIQ, front main seal tool (not bad, maybe a hundred bucks), there is also a bedding plate to torque the mains correctly and evenly (extremely pricy), and the main seal injection tool (I have no clue).

All told you'll end up spending well over $1000 (potentially close to $2k) just in one time use N54 tooling to put the engine back together correctly.