N54 Knock Table Discovery Fund

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Based on a dialog on veer90's 809whp thread, Spoolstreet has now set up what I believe is its first community donation to get some work done that moves the platform forward. The Donate link at the top of the page will take you there.

This is a great way for us to help collectively get behind overcoming platform obstacles and advancing our capabilities. Thanks for putting this functionality in play, Tyler! And @jyamona as always, thanks for offering to work this issue.

Filippo

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Don't say that I already at 2 g in unexpected expense on top of the 7g planned really making me wonder why I didn't lease a m3 cs for 750 a month or buy that sick single turbo Canadian build for 17g . I'm officially over 30g into my build not including original purchase

There are fully modded cars going for REALLY cheap, but building it is half the fun IMO.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
There are fully modded cars going for REALLY cheap, but building it is half the fun IMO.
Without a doubt plus who wants to ride the bus saving for 2 yrs lmao but yes if I had 50g expendable money sitting in my pocket would be one thing but instead I spread the cost out so my wife isn't as aware of how much money i spent. Really the best is doing each step and appreciating the growth of the build it's like cheat codes it ruins the game starting at level 99

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
Don't say that I already at 2 g in unexpected expense on top of the 7g planned really making me wonder why I didn't lease a m3 cs for 750 a month or buy that sick single turbo Canadian build for 17g . I'm officially over 30g into my build not including original purchase
:tearsofjoy: Shit, what are we counting as unplanned expenses? I originally bought my car for ~20K with an AFE intake and old JB4 installed and only planned on going 2011-era FBO (no inlets/outlets etc) to have a badass DD. Now my shit is a MMP 1K and supporting mods-equipped car with some custom work, some engine internals, drag-oriented car thats about 1/3rd of the way done and I'm redoing my rear suspension for the second time this year after a complete suspension refresh at the end of 2018 lol. Between mods and maintenance I easily spent over 10K on my "just a fast, comfortable street car" just last year, so I feel you Rob.
This is exactly it for me. Maybe I played with legos for too long as a kid, but I'd rather spend another 20K on making this car faster than buy a brand new M3 any day.
-------
On topic though, this is a great idea @doublespaces , @fmorelli and @jyamona . I'll throw some various amounts at it now and again until the project is "done" because I love this platform flaws and all, for better or worse tbh.

NoQuarter

Major
Nov 24, 2017
Indiana, USA
Ride
Z4 35is, 535xi, X5 35i
just spent the day at BMW dealer... They had a gorgeous gray M3 CS and M4 CS sitting next to each other. On my lust list now.

Reactions: Jeffman

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
:tearsofjoy: Shit, what are we counting as unplanned expenses? I originally bought my car for ~20K with an AFE intake and old JB4 installed and only planned on going 2011-era FBO (no inlets/outlets etc) to have a badass DD. Now my shit is a MMP 1K and supporting mods-equipped car with some custom work, some engine internals, drag-oriented car thats about 1/3rd of the way done and I'm redoing my rear suspension for the second time this year after a complete suspension refresh at the end of 2018 lol. Between mods and maintenance I easily spent over 10K on my "just a fast, comfortable street car" just last year, so I feel you Rob.

This is exactly it for me. Maybe I played with legos for too long as a kid, but I'd rather spend another 20K on making this car faster than buy a brand new M3 any day.
-------
On topic though, this is a great idea @doublespaces , @fmorelli and @jyamona . I'll throw some various amounts at it now and again until the project is "done" because I love this platform flaws and all, for better or worse tbh.
A second set of Inlets, outlets, valve cover and I ended up needing extra parts for transmission, plus my coils had oil from cracked valve cover so brand new r8 coils went in trash and ended up time for a rb low side kit with mish can so way over 2g already. That was conservative cause some stuff wasnt necessary but I learned being cheap costs double with cars and triple with n54.

P.s. I was planning on all my mods ,I meant just now I was planning on doing upgraded turbos and upgrading trans but during install bunch of stuff came up inflating the cost from planned 5 g to now hitting 10g for this round part cause I always end up adding things but then last min issues came up as well.

Last edited:

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi

New M3s bore me. It seems like every generation that comes out, more and more kids buy them, stretching their budgets to the absolute limits.

There's so many around here but all rock the 'F80 M3 starter pack' : H&R springs, 20mm spacers all around, eBay catless DPs and a burble tune. Oh and tire stickers.

fmorelli

Lieutenant General
Staff member
Aug 11, 2017
Virginia
Ride
E89 Z4 35i, F10 535d
Come on guys we’r nearly there with this. Don’t matter how little the donations are, Every little helps!
Agree. Amount doesn't matter - it's a nice opportunity to get behind work being done and provide a bit of support.

Filippo

Reactions: JBacon335

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
Fuck it im not built and I ended up paying for outlets 3 times and now going custom so way I see it if i wait until my car stops with unexpected expenses I'll never donate and that means I'll blow my engine be built and have false knock cause well that's my life.
I just got a new sapphire reserve cc coming today or tomorrow so this could be towards my rewards bonus.

Reactions: Torgus

Itsbrokeagain

Corporal
Jan 28, 2018
Strong Island
Ride
E70 X5d, E39 528iT, E46 325xi
ill throw down some $ for the hell of it next Monday. Just plunked down a deposit for my daughters baptism party (I had no idea how expensive these things go) and ordered the rest of the parts for my X5d for the upcoming roadtrip in a month.

I dont see any personal benefit from this fund but ive been part of the community long enough, might as well give something back

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
ill throw down some $ for the hell of it next Monday. Just plunked down a deposit for my daughters baptism party (I had no idea how expensive these things go) and ordered the rest of the parts for my X5d for the upcoming roadtrip in a month.

I dont see any personal benefit from this fund but ive been part of the community long enough, might as well give something back
Exactly as much as I don't need this ,I cant count how many times this forum saved me .

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
I just donated but I had to login to PayPal something is wrong with the address part on Samsung browser for android it kept saying invalid using auto fill then I manually entered. Meanwhile PayPal used my same card and went through cause at first in thought was chase sapphire card being finicky like usual with online stuff but I tried a BMW card and same thing.