N54 Knock Table Discovery Fund

nublike

Jun 22, 2017
Ride
335i N54 TTE550
Wow! Found this just now. Is there still a way to support this great project and donate?
I have some problems with false knock on my build engine. Thought about getting these for better analysing it: http://tunernerd.com/
You need some beta testers?

veer90

Lieutenant
Nov 16, 2016
West Nyack, NY
Ride
e90 335i 6MT
Wow! Found this just now. Is there still a way to support this great project and donate?
I have some problems with false knock on my build engine. Thought about getting these for better analysing it: http://tunernerd.com/
You need some beta testers?

I'd contact @jyamona and ask him how it's going. It's only been 2 weeks or so since we met the donation goal though so maybe not ready for beta testing yet.

Reactions: Panzerfaust

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
I've been traveling / away, so purposely haven't taken payment yet from Tyler. Probably start of next week.
That's very exciting to hear! I'm glad you're willing to do something like this on your own and to dedicate so much work to a bunch of people you really dont even know for the most part. I'm glad I got a chance to donate and support your work more than just from purchasing MHD.

Any chance this will also further help with the 6AT timing pulls after shift too? I know you can get and I do have pretty clean logs with the right tuning, but knowing that that's not an issue at all would be excellent.

nublike

Jun 22, 2017
Ride
335i N54 TTE550
I'd contact @jyamona and ask him how it's going. It's only been 2 weeks or so since we met the donation goal though so maybe not ready for beta testing yet.
totaly clear that it is to early for beta testing. Just wanted to make that offer...

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Started on IJE0S first. The list grows :) Still about 24 more to go for IJ to be "table-complete."

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
At this point I'm surprised he hasn't been tryping some of his words in hex on accident.

@jyamona do they also add any code protection in the form of obfuscation/packing or no? I'm currently working with someone on a PC application(reversing video game network protocol)and it has "Themida" which really makes getting anything done a huge PITA.

• Funny
Reactions: Panzerfaust

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
At this point I'm surprised he hasn't been tryping some of his words in hex on accident.

@jyamona do they also add any code protection in the form of obfuscation/packing or no? I'm currently working with someone on a PC application(reversing video game network protocol)and it has "Themida" which really makes getting anything done a huge PITA.
You think this could help post shift timing? I know you came out with bog fix for mt but you think we could do something for the auto and dct guys if this wont help? Also would it ever be possible to fi spark pull for torque reduction instead of timing ,I know their are some mentions of it but not sure If the logic is their.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly

They do bit packing on some things, but moreso for optimization and convenience, and to keep size down. They don't really obfuscate as they expect the security in place to keep people from being able to reflash in the first point. Also, working with assembly code is enough obfuscation to keep most people away haha.

You think this could help post shift timing? I know you came out with bog fix for mt but you think we could do something for the auto and dct guys if this wont help? Also would it ever be possible to fi spark pull for torque reduction instead of timing ,I know their are some mentions of it but not sure If the logic is their.

So one thing I noticed is that is uses a different averaging constant for knock noise level during "transient" conditions, which is caused by a certain change (up or down) in maf or rpm. Does the timing post shift in autos log as a knock correction?

Reactions: doublespaces

Panzerfaust

Lieutenant
Jul 3, 2018
Chicago
Ride
E92 335i
They do bit packing on some things, but moreso for optimization and convenience, and to keep size down. They don't really obfuscate as they expect the security in place to keep people from being able to reflash in the first point. Also, working with assembly code is enough obfuscation to keep most people away haha.

So one thing I noticed is that is uses a different averaging constant for knock noise level during "transient" conditions, which is caused by a certain change (up or down) in maf or rpm. Does the timing post shift in autos log as a knock correction?
How would one check if its specifically being logged as a knock correction? I was aware there were various reasons the DME pulled timing, but for some reason I thought while WOT the only reasoning was either "suspects possible knock conditions" or "detected knock" so to speak.

I have a whole host of logs of various scenarios (actual logging, hitting the gas a bit much while passing on the interstate, multi-gear acceleration tests from when I was stock turbo etc) if you have a way for us to check or if you need a big ol' ZIP of logs to see.

Rob09msport

Major
Oct 28, 2017
Monroe CT
Ride
09 335i msport le mans 18 x5
The time for recovery and the stages of reduction in timing pulled would lean towards the knock reduction algorithm controlling the timing pull. I always assumed spikes in cylinder temp due to pulled timing for the shift resulted in the timing pull but even with e85 and meth it still happens. This makes me belive either it's false knock detection or preventative but the randomness of which cylinder leads a strong possiblity of a much bigger load and more fuel altering sound on shift enough to register as slight predetonation in which case this may fix.
That is why I asked the other questions cause spark drop could stop those sounds and i thought you had worked on a solution in which case I was curious what route that was.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
What do the knock correction channels log as after the shifts? Or does it only show in the normal timing params?

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think he's talking about

timing cyl 1 *crk
timing cyl 2 *crk
etc

vs timing correction cyl 1-6

@jyamona ?
There is Cyl 1-6 Timing correction and then the actual timing values of Timing Cyl 1-6 *CRK(which are all the same I guess).