N54 Knock Table Discovery Fund

Oct 24, 2016
Scottsdale, AZ
Also,

Is there interest for this on N55/S55?
The BM3 S55 tuners have full control over the knock system. Our S55 tuner adjusts them to suit every car he tunes. The S55 is light years ahead of the N54 in so many ways, witnessed by just the power potential, and consistency we saw with ours. This could have to do with how much better BM3 is than MHD, but not sure.

Sbrach

Corporal
Oct 2, 2017
Ride
N55 DCT E82
BM3 is not better than MHD.

A full production A2L exists in the wild for S55 so anyone with WinOLS has access to every table in the calibration.

Knowing what each table is and what it does is a different story. The BC consultants file that BM3 based their S55 tune off of has minor knock table changes, just the thresholds utilizing the factory frequencies and gains.

As far as I know, BM3 can’t log ram addresses for raw variables that aren’t exposed via BMW PIDs like you can on MHD so I’m not sure how they would tune knock detection other than just increasing the stock thresholds blindly.

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
This could have to do with how much better BM3 is than MHD, but not sure.

Sorry I shit on your "upgraded knock sensor" cash grab, but GTFO of here with this nonsense.

As far as I know, BM3 can’t log ram addresses for raw variables that aren’t exposed via BMW PIDs like you can on MHD so I’m not sure how they would tune knock detection other than just increasing the stock thresholds blindly.

100%. People who have tuned professionally starting with other platforms and know what they need to log to do so properly have been reaching out and choosing / switching to MHD.

pysical

Sergeant
Jun 16, 2017
Ride
2009 335xi E90
In the next few weeks I will have a IJE0S with sleeves and closed deck, tuned by Motiv, if that helps with anything.

Reactions: fmorelli

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Awesome, been waiting on these for a long time. This should help with built motors which really needed these. Do you have a way to log the knock sensor output directly in MHD?

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Awesome, been waiting on these for a long time. This should help with built motors which really needed these. Do you have a way to log the knock sensor output directly in MHD?

Yes sir, will be providing a lot more params to go along w/ these tables so they can be tuned properly. Do you have any customer cars that would benefit / can beta?

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Yes sir, will be providing a lot more params to go along w/ these tables so they can be tuned properly. Do you have any customer cars that would benefit / can beta?

Yeah have a couple, one I'll be dyno tuning in the next few weeks with a closed deck, not many knock issues on it but would be a good way to gather data to compare to one's with knock issues.

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Will you by chance be tuning it remotely?

Yeah a Texas car, there's a few local ones I'm trying to set aside time for too but got a little caught up in my own build this week :flushed:

Before I start poking around in tables I'd like to log a few cars.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Yeah a Texas car, there's a few local ones I'm trying to set aside time for too but got a little caught up in my own build this week :flushed:

Before I start poking around in tables I'd like to log a few cars.
Just wondering because Jake and Chris are remote tuning my car again on Friday and no one knows fueling tuning like you so I thought you might be involved as well considering my fueling set up.

Reactions: V8bait

V8bait

Lieutenant
Nov 2, 2016
Texas
Just wondering because Jake and Chris are remote tuning my car again on Friday and no one knows fueling tuning like you so I thought you might be involved as well considering my fueling set up.

Nah I'm sure they got you. Jake and Chris are a good team to have both of, I helped them on vanos stuff long ago but it wasn't really helping it was mostly enjoying the motiv kit on a dyno, you'll be in good hands.

Erichale77

Lieutenant
Nov 14, 2016
Clearwater, FL
Ride
07 E92 coupe
Nah I'm sure they got you. Jake and Chris are a good team to have both of, I helped them on vanos stuff long ago but it wasn't really helping it was mostly enjoying the motiv kit on a dyno, you'll be in good hands.
No Motiv kit here, I have the fabfactory build with double barrel shotgun and aluminium motiv / eos lpfp setup. You helped set up the controller for db shotgun initially. I'll be pushing more fuel than Jake, Chris or anyone else we know of so I immediately thought of you Justin.

Torgus

Brigadier General
Nov 6, 2016
Boston
Ride
ACF 6466 E92 + METH
Sorry I shit on your "upgraded knock sensor" cash grab, but GTFO of here with this nonsense.

100%. People who have tuned professionally starting with other platforms and know what they need to log to do so properly have been reaching out and choosing / switching to MHD.

This.

What is best is this thread was basically made because of that massively overpriced VTT product.

@jyamona ftw.

Last edited:

AATLLC

Jun 7, 2019
Las Vegas
Ride
2008 335i Coupe 6MT
All tables for two rom versions should be complete tomor. I'll post a pic listing them all. Next is a few new logging params to help with tuning the tables, followed by some beta testing from whoever has dyno access and det cans / tools to properly verify things.

Hello, I will start off by introducing myself as this is my first post to the forums. My name is Devin and I am the owner of a EFI tuning shop in Las Vegas. I have been tuning cars professionally for 5 years specializing in Evo’s, Subaru’s, R35 GTR’s and Supra’s. I also have a heavy background in performance engine building, machining and mechanics. I have a two vehicles to do some testing and feedback on. One is my personal daily driver (2008 E92 MT IJE0S) tuned via MHD, nothing crazy just simple bolt ons (DP/intercooler) with a E40 Mix as well as Ken Dever’s 2009 E92 AT IJE0S which has currently put down several 900+whp runs with a full open deck block tuned via MHD + haltech for PI/EBC. I have had great success using mhd and the currently available xdf’s for the platform both IJE0S and I8A0S, with the additions of the knock tables it will be great to have some solid back to back testing on both nearly stock and heavily modified cars while still retaining factory knock sensors and no external filtering.

Looking forward to the further development of the N54 platform!

Thanks,
Devin

Jake@MHD

Major
Platinum Vendor
Nov 7, 2016
Philly
Hey Devin,

Thanks for joining! That will definitely be some good data, especially on that built AT car! Looking forward to how this helps make the N54 even better / faster :)

Jeffman

Major
Jan 7, 2017
Hello, I will start off by introducing myself as this is my first post to the forums. My name is Devin and I am the owner of a EFI tuning shop in Las Vegas. I have been tuning cars professionally for 5 years specializing in Evo’s, Subaru’s, R35 GTR’s and Supra’s. I also have a heavy background in performance engine building, machining and mechanics. I have a two vehicles to do some testing and feedback on. One is my personal daily driver (2008 E92 MT IJE0S) tuned via MHD, nothing crazy just simple bolt ons (DP/intercooler) with a E40 Mix as well as Ken Dever’s 2009 E92 AT IJE0S which has currently put down several 900+whp runs with a full open deck block tuned via MHD + haltech for PI/EBC. I have had great success using mhd and the currently available xdf’s for the platform both IJE0S and I8A0S, with the additions of the knock tables it will be great to have some solid back to back testing on both nearly stock and heavily modified cars while still retaining factory knock sensors and no external filtering.

Looking forward to the further development of the N54 platform!

Thanks,
Devin
Welcome, Devin!