DIY N54 Sheet Metal Engine Cover

Sered

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Melbourne, FL
What kind of material would you suggest knowing the outer material?
Offhand, I'd suggest using the same or similar material that the OEM cover uses. That spongy stuff. It's most likely an insulator both electrically and thermally. Essentially, you don't want the sheet metal cover to be radiating heat down on the coils, injectors, and assorted harnesses. For top-mount setups, it will get VERY hot.

Reactions: Tallgeese179

Tallgeese179

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Good to see others out there are thinking about design considerations! However, please consider the following:

Assuming the turbo is not touching the valve cover (very critical), the main method of heat transfer from the turbo will be radiation. Since radiation behaves similar to light, it only affects things that are in line-of-sight (unless you happen to have a double slit experiment going on :rolleyes:). In our case, a mostly solid sheet of aluminum will be covering the valve cover, blocking line of sight between the VC and turbo.

As with light, radiation is reflected very well with a shiny surface (like a polished aluminum sheet). A good example of this can be seen on the heat shields protecting our windshield washer fluid fill tubes and trunk area (above the mufflers). For this reason I would argue that we would ideally want to keep the top surface of the engine cover polished aluminum (clear coat maybe).

The underside is a trickier subject. For now, I would say that putting insulation under there will primarily just dampen injector noise. Moreover, if the insulation is actually in contact with the engine cover and the valve cover, it will be hindering cooling two-fold. First, it will provide a path for conductive heat transfer that isn't present with an air gap. Second it will hinder convective flow underneath the engine cover, making the louvers less effective.

The thing I'm not sure about though is this: should we paint the underside black. Black bodies are very good at absorbing radiation (coming from the VC area) and metals conduct and distribute heat well. So there might be some heat that can be extracted away from underneath besides just just the convective cooling form the heat rising out of the louvers. No idea if this is legit or not, but might warrant some testing.

TL;DR: Keep the top surface reflective, block line of sight from turbo, and ensure air gaps. Maybe paint the underside black?

Engine Cover.jpg

Tallgeese179

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
So long as it doesn't rattle, it seems good to me :)

Rattle would probably shouldn't occur. Worst case scenario, a few squares of Dynamat can be added at the right areas (i.e. away from heat).

BTW, if anyone disagrees or has better info on heat transfer please chime in or respond. I'm always interested in learning more if you have more in-depth knowledge of what might be going on here. Most of what I summed up here is based off of looking at pre-existing examples on cars. Some of this heat transfer stuff was also covered in a video by Engineering Explained where he de-bunked the "paint your intercooler black" myth.

Skeletors_e90

Lurker
Nov 8, 2016
Florida
Keep in mind, that unless you insulate the underside of the cover, you're going to melt a lot of shit. Plastic gets used on intake manifolds and engine covers for a reason.

I was thinking this too! Im not sure what material you could on the underside that isn't going to also insulate heat between the sheet and cover. Upgraded twins, shine up top, black underside with louvers, maybe two rows of 5 in a downward facing triangular pattern. That way as air flows over it, it pulls hot air out as it passes over, I dunno I'm not an engineer :)

ST top mount applications would be a bit tricky I'd say.

• Informative
Reactions: doublespaces

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Rattle would probably shouldn't occur. Worst case scenario, a few squares of Dynamat can be added at the right areas (i.e. away from heat).

BTW, if anyone disagrees or has better info on heat transfer please chime in or respond. I'm always interested in learning more if you have more in-depth knowledge of what might be going on here. Most of what I summed up here is based off of looking at pre-existing examples on cars. Some of this heat transfer stuff was also covered in a video by Engineering Explained where he de-bunked the "paint your intercooler black" myth.

Where are you at with this?

Tallgeese179

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Where are you at with this?
Haven't made progress on this actually. I've been strapped for time between work, HVAC design, lifting, and trying to be a social human being :rolleyes:.

Next car related stuff will be battery replacement and VRSF 7" install. I'll be making a write-up on the battery on here when I do it, since it seems like an often neglected subject and is surprisingly complex (there's info, but it's scattered across like 5-6 threads)

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
Haven't made progress on this actually. I've been strapped for time between work, HVAC design, lifting, and trying to be a social human being :rolleyes:.

Next car related stuff will be battery replacement and VRSF 7" install. I'll be making a write-up on the battery on here when I do it, since it seems like an often neglected subject and is surprisingly complex (there's info, but it's scattered across like 5-6 threads)

Right on, more resources the better!

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I'm actually finishing up designing something else currently. It's an install tool for the xDrive front axle shaft seal. Sadly, the projects are turning more into "what do I really need for the next repair" instead of "what would be cool to design" :(. I'm excited to work on the engine cover in the future.
View attachment 2040

I'm working on a marketplace(Where you can sell a certain quantity of a product) so keep us updated if you intend to sell them!

Tallgeese179

Private
Nov 5, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm working on a marketplace(Where you can sell a certain quantity of a product) so keep us updated if you intend to sell them!

Like I said before, I want to make the raw CAD files and production drawings open to everyone. At best I can put up my PayPal info an people can gift me a buck or two if they appreciate the work, but I don't want to go into business. At least not at this point in my life.

DR-JEKL

Private
Jan 16, 2017
I was only thinking the other week it would be great to design a sheet metal engine cover for ST applications!

Will be great to see what you come up with :)

• Agree

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
Are you guys unable to fit your stock engine covers on? I actually like the stock cover, keeps that annoying ticking sound muted, and with a strip of gold tape provides more then enough heat shielding.

<-Black car in 110 degree summers

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
I think it is partially for single turbo people, longevity-wise, also the chinese intake manifold doesn't fit the stock cover without cutting, so there is room for improvement. Plus, has aesthetic potential.

R.G.

Lieutenant
Nov 17, 2016
Henderson, NV
Ride
E92 335, F10 M5
I think it is partially for single turbo people, longevity-wise, also the chinese intake manifold doesn't fit the stock cover without cutting, so there is room for improvement. Plus, has aesthetic potential.

<-6266

2. Cut it then!

3. Not going to look better then a CF cover or custom painted stock cover

doublespaces

Administrator
Oct 18, 2016
AZ
Ride
2009 E93 335i
<-6266

2. Cut it then!

3. Not going to look better then a CF cover or custom painted stock cover

Maybe not the CF cover, but it is home made and cheaper.

Painted stock cover? Not really a fan of that, reminds me of those people who dye their entire interior.