n54 single turbo drag build

Silentkiller335i

Corporal
Dec 6, 2016
This is the sad truth. The 6sp transmission has been proven to be strong and reliable many times now.....but quick is not its forte. But prove everyone wrong. Someone is bound to do it; hell, just through enough power at it or do something crazy like a 2.86 rear gear set to limit your shifts and the impact they have on ET.
This is the sad truth. The 6sp transmission has been proven to be strong and reliable many times now.....but quick is not its forte. But prove everyone wrong. Someone is bound to do it; hell, just through enough power at it or do something crazy like a 2.86 rear gear set to limit your shifts and the impact they have on ET.
A 2.86 would kill me at launch. Remember im running 28" tires

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Once they finally get rid of that pesky tq limit bog we should be able to hit that time. My problem is the bog when shifting 3rd-4th
I am still confused when people say this. Shift bog is no longer a thing with these cars with the proper tuning. Log of our 1/2 record pass. See any bog there? If you time the shifts about .4-.5 sec each, similar to how the AT's are shifting, big killer is dropping boost between gears.

https://datazap.me/u/vargasturbotec...data=2-3-7-8-9-10-11-12-23-26-27&zoom=355-522

Reactions: Silentkiller335i

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
I am still confused when people say this. Shift bog is no longer a thing with these cars with the proper tuning. Log of our 1/2 record pass. See any bog there? If you time the shifts about .4-.5 sec each, similar to how the AT's are shifting, big killer is dropping boost between gears.

https://datazap.me/u/vargasturbotec...data=2-3-7-8-9-10-11-12-23-26-27&zoom=355-522

I think the real revelation to anyone going for a 9sec 1/4mi pass should be the .45sec shift time. You have to make it to 4th gear to run a 1/4mi over 130mph which is what a 9sec pass will take. You will have to shift 3 times. That means you will spend almost 1.5sec of that 1/4mi in a state where you are not accelerating.

Think about it another way. Look at the performance figures for the new M4 and the 0-60 times (which is 1 shift):

BMW says
DCT - 3.9sec
6mt - 4.2sec

MotorTrend says
DCT - 3.9-4.0sec
6mt - 4.2sec

Car and Driver says
DCT - 3.7-3.8sec
6mt - 4.1sec

Notice a trend? A single shift from 1st to 2nd for a 0-60 equates a .2-.3sec loss in time when comparing a 6mt to a DCT. Take that and multiply it across 3 shifts and you're looking at a .6sec to a .9sec time loss over a quarter mile.

There's a reason there is only 1 6mt on the recorded 10sec pass list. And it isn't because cars with 6mt's aren't making the power. There's also a reason the top 4 fastest N54's are using Powerglide transmissions that shift once in the 1/4mi.

The DCT can't launch for shit. The 6mt can't shift for shit. And the 6at hasn't been able to hold any power (historically), yet it has still been the transmission that most of our 10sec cars run.

Nov 5, 2016
Bay Area
Our car was ahead of a car that ran a 10.6 but it crossed the center line so they do not time you. Mid 10's are possible. Getting a 6MT into the 9's is going to take a lot more than is going on with this build, no fault of the owner, just the facts of the matter. My point for posting the log, is shift bog is not an issue on these cars any longer.

Clean WHP

Corporal
Apr 24, 2017
Ride
2010 135i Msport 6MT
look at a c6 z06. people run a good set of headers a good intake, and then throw on a good heads / cam package with a tune an make 580WHP - 600WHP. then with a proper set of slicks and skinnies those cars run 9's all day with only 600whp. because they are light and with 15' welds can run insane amounts of tire.

Our platform has plenty of power for 9's. Even if our transmissions suck at shifting, I still think that's not what's holding us back. Its the fact we can hardly fit 275 rear tires, have open diffs, and our car's weigh a shit ton.

Rather than trying to build an N54 car with the most power (800+) and the most parts, I think going back to basics would make the car run a better 1/4 mile. Light weight. Big tires. Strong drivetrain. good power. (not insane power) C6Z runs 9's with less power than us and has all those basic things.

Someone needs to do a N54 build to 9's by working on the basics from the ground up.
-135i in base spec completely stripped down to chassis with as much weight loss as possible. only interior items should be a driver seat, steering wheel, and shifter. open downpipe, 2 piece rotors. skinnies up front. carbon fiber roof. legit make it 2500 lbs
-n5tuner widebody (use rivets for all I care)
-15" wheels with BIG AND WIDE radials. Im talking MT ET street R 325/50/15. its possible with N5tuner rear.
-8.8 conversion with LSD, all aluminum mounts, other drivetrain upgrades..

I think that setup would run a better 1/4 mile with say 600WHP on a decent single with minimal lag then a lot of the cars we've been seeing with 800+WHP. Just food for thought

Last edited:

dyezak

Major
May 4, 2017
Plano TX
Ride
335is
Just went for a short drive to log my DCT shift times. .1sec consistantly. I'll log my 6at shift times with xHP stage 3 tonight when my wife brings the e90 back home hahahaha.